Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 04:58 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,469,236 times

Advertisements

Link: Companies won’t even look at resumes of the long-term unemployed

Quote:
He sent out 4,800 fake resumes at random for 600 job openings. And what he found is that employers would rather call back someone with no relevant experience who’s only been out of work for a few months than someone with more relevant experience who’s been out of work for longer than six months.
Just being out of job for 6 months is enough to be discriminated? have company forgotten we still have >8% unemployment as per the Govt or close to >14% in real terms(counting unemployed)

Quote:
Dozens of states have been considering legislation that would make it illegal to discriminate against the long-term unemployed
Why doesn't everything has to be written in law? Never mind that its extremely difficult to provide discrimination by a candidate.

I freaking don't know how many freaking laws we have on our books..you can't do this, you can't do this..for once, try being fair and use your common sense!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 06:13 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,038,921 times
"No unemployed need apply" is the common term, and it is total BS and is nothing but yet another form of discrimination.

This happened to me several times when I was out of work - I was flat-out told by several companies that they "will not consider" hiring the unemployed. Considering how many worthless idiots kept their jobs at my former employer, it was particularly insulting.

I don't see any reason not to make such forms of discrimination illegal - this crud has been going on for years and it is clearly not going to get better on its own. That being said, it's nearly impossible to prove (like all forms of discrimination), and the worthless companies who practice this behavior will just make up some other BS reason not to hire out of work Americans so they can instead hire visa workers, friends or relatives, or just send the jobs overseas.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:28 PM

805 posts, read 1,162,214 times
It won't get better until the unemployment rate declines to the point where employers have to hire the unemployed or leave a position unfilled.

You could try sending out letter of interest with resumes to companies (preferably smaller ones) who are not advertising as they likely don't receive many resumes and, when an opening occurs, they may contact you.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:10 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,411,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
"No unemployed need apply" is the common term, and it is total BS and is nothing but yet another form of discrimination.

This happened to me several times when I was out of work - I was flat-out told by several companies that they "will not consider" hiring the unemployed. Considering how many worthless idiots kept their jobs at my former employer, it was particularly insulting.

I don't see any reason not to make such forms of discrimination illegal - this crud has been going on for years and it is clearly not going to get better on its own. That being said, it's nearly impossible to prove (like all forms of discrimination), and the worthless companies who practice this behavior will just make up some other BS reason not to hire out of work Americans so they can instead hire visa workers, friends or relatives, or just send the jobs overseas.
It's total insanity.. Something has to give at some point. Don't know how much longer we can hold out like this.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:09 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,016,464 times
IMO those companies HR are headed by people who have been LUCKY, JUST LUCKY AND NOTHING ELSE, to not have been unemployed for some time. There are all sorts of reasons to be unemployed that are not your fault, such as your company going bankrupt and closing it's doors.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:20 PM

30 posts, read 96,198 times
It's unfortunate, but this isn't surprising.

It's one of those unspoken discrimination that persist. Another popular, unspoken rule is the discrimination against older applicants due to higher salary req normally, likely to cost more for medical benefits, etc.

Unemployed should really keep themselves busy with activities that show that they are actively doing things to improve their skills (going to school full-time or part-time, volunteering, attending toastmasters/other workshops/classes, etc.)

If you have been unemployed for a while, and you happen to get that precious interview opportunity, but you have nothing to say in terms of what you did during this "off time" other than you searched for jobs 10 hrs a day isn't going to impress employers.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:15 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,691,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
IMO those companies HR are headed by people who have been LUCKY, JUST LUCKY AND NOTHING ELSE, to not have been unemployed for some time. There are all sorts of reasons to be unemployed that are not your fault, such as your company going bankrupt and closing it's doors.
then there is the hiring software that you have to do get your application to HR in the first place.. the software is so hard to get thru, HR can't even get through it

Old 04-21-2013, 10:46 PM

64 posts, read 193,171 times
Why don't companies want to hire qualified people, who are looking for a job, that need a job?
This makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Well, the age/insurance thing, I kind of get, but still...

Old 04-21-2013, 10:50 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,520,932 times
Its an employers market. They have their choice of millions of people and can pick what they want.

In an employees market there are many jobs and not enough qualified people for them.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:11 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,920,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Girl View Post
Why don't companies want to hire qualified people, who are looking for a job, that need a job?
This makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Well, the age/insurance thing, I kind of get, but still...
Because they don't want to settle for just a candidate, they want the perfect fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search