Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 11:06 PM

18 posts, read 213,482 times

Advertisements

Thanks for your reply, Broadrippleguy. I've been doing more and more research throughout the day, and I have to say, things aren't looking so bad. I've been told there are pretty much NO jobs what-so-ever in the area we want to move (by people in the Oregon forum). However, after speaking with friends who live there, they said there are a ton of jobs. Not only that, but they directed me to state job listings in the area we want to go, and the number of jobs my fiance is qualified (or overqualified) for is just amazing, and such a huge relief. Sure, no one is guaranteed a job just because there is a listing, but I must say, I'm shocked at how hopeful things are looking now. For as many negative things as I've heard, I've been able to disprove nearly all of them, and well... that's a good feeling. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 01:26 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGrrl View Post
PatRoy1: Thanks for your reply. I'm not entirely sure what made you think my fiance doesn't have a college education. I must admit, I'm a bit lost. I was simply responding to Sarah's question, and once again yes, regardless of his education or skills, I know he would take any job he needed to in order to get us there. He would then job hunt for a better, more suitable job once we got there. Right now his only focus is to pay bills and get us there. I don't think it is reasonable to even assume that the perfect job there is obtainable from here, or that he could find the perfect job within a decent time frame if he went there for a few weeks himself.
I live in an area of Southern California with an unusually high unemployment rate, and I think you'll find that there is actually more competition for those $8 an hour jobs that anyone can do, than for more specialized jobs. It may seem unbelievable, but when you have a lot of unemployed people, many get to the point where they're willing to "take anything" - even those with an education and years of experience. And employers in most cases, would prefer to hire someone who is really suited to that $8 a hour job, rather than someone over-qualified, who only wants the job, until he or she finds something better. Oregon's unemployment rate is better than where I live, but it's still 9.4%, which is high.

In other words, I would encourage your husband to spend most of his time looking for jobs he's qualified for - and where his skills will be valued. He'll probably have much better luck, than if he applies for jobs where he's overqualified. And if he wants them to hire him while he's out-of-state? Well that only happens if your occupation is a specialized one!

Good luck!

Old 08-05-2011, 02:31 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,906 times
I think looking for jobs as an out-of-stater is a huge waste of time for the vast majority of fields. How bad do you really want to move? Will you be willing to do whatever it takes?

Old 08-05-2011, 11:14 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
I don't mean to sound negative but how will a family live on 8 an hour? How can 1 live on that? Have you looked at cost of living where you want to relocate? Do you have the funds and savings for the actual move?

Old 08-10-2011, 10:07 AM

90 posts, read 188,319 times
I'm running into a lot of misinformation about jobs too. Based on what I've seen, many cities will always have a handful of low wage type jobs to choose from for people that are willing to do them in the short term. Let's face it, the world will always need waitresses, housekeepers, and heavy laborers.

For my own relocation to Atlanta I have decided not to contact employers until I've arrived. Even a local p.o. box should keep my resume out of the trash bin, and I have the added advantage of having previously lived in the state for several years.

Anything else you can put on your resume to lend it credence would help too, join something, volunteer, whatever can help convince an employer your there to stay and not just passing through.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometoGeorgia View Post
Let's face it, the world will always need waitresses, housekeepers, and heavy laborers.
Waitressing can be a great job! I did it for a long time, because I loved it, and I made a lot of money. That said, it's very difficult to find a waitress job where I live right now. The unemployment rate is very high here - and there is a LOT of competition for those jobs!

It would be a big mistake to move here, thinking you can always get a job as a waitress - because right now? That just isn't true.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:50 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
Waitressing can be a great job! I did it for a long time, because I loved it, and I made a lot of money.
Exactly! I love how people get snarky and suggest such work is way beneath them. I worked as a Waiter for 15 years and after gaining experience over a couple of years started working in nicer restaurants where I would average $600-$700 a week (cash), which is the equivalent of a "regular" 45K job. Group health insurance and vacation were included as well. I just laugh when people say they would rather work a $10-$12 an hour clerical job with their college degree than wait tables. Have fun with that!

Old 08-12-2011, 01:48 AM

90 posts, read 188,319 times
/sigh

I knew no matter how I worded this someone would get offended. I did not at all imply waitressing was some kind of "crap" job but a fantastic alternative in the short term that they can consider because of the great pay at many locations; it's more than just something you take when you're in college.

I grouped it with the other two suggestions because almost every city needs these people, whether considered glamorous work or not, they should never be taken for granted, myself included because I'm a machinist by trade but have to unload freight when there's no work, and it's backbreaking!

Old 08-12-2011, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometoGeorgia View Post
I grouped it with the other two suggestions because almost every city needs these people,
No need to sigh! Whether someone gets offended or not is beside the point. The truth is that they are NOT needed where I live. There's more competition for that kind of job than just about any other right now - and it would be a huge mistake to move here thinking you can always get that type of job.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:21 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,581,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGrrl View Post
My family and I are finally in the position to relocate out of state, but I'm wondering if we are going about searching for a job the right way. I know some people are lucky enough to be able to transfer within the company they work for to a different location out of state, but that is not the case for us.

My fiance tells me that some places will give interviews over the phone, but I've known people who had to drive 15 or more hours for an out of state job interview, who didn't even get the job, so I'm wondering what to expect at this point.

I've seen people post on here about getting call backs for jobs unexpectedly and never having to go to an interview at all, just pack and go. That would be lovely if that happened, but is that likely? My fiance has put in several online applications for jobs he is qualified (and sometimes overqualified) for, but he has received no calls or even e-mail responses letting him know they filled the position or anything. I'm used to him always receiving a reply even when he didn't get the job when he applies locally, so I'm wondering if it has something to do with applying online? Do employers often not want to hire people from out of state? Does being out of state look bad on his applications? Is there another way we should be going about this? Perhaps most importantly... What did *you* do to get a job out of state so you could move?

My fiance has to have a job before we move, because we have an 18 month old, so being adventurous (irresponsible) really isn't an option.

We will be moving from Oklahoma City to Oregon. And yes, I am aware of the job market (or lack there of) in the area, but that isn't the focus of my post.

This is how it's done , pick a State and City and pre-pay a motel or hotel a month rent then pound the pavement ,either you land a job or come back home empty handed....to try again on another day.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search