Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 10:16 AM

330 posts, read 1,456,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Just look at how Mexico treats American tourists. Watch 20/20, Dateline, etc. They kidnap, rape and sell into prostitution, and murder Americans. So I would rather take my own life than "cross the border."
You still trust the MSM.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:17 PM

415 posts, read 615,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
How does not reimbursing you mileage, asking you to print paperwork, and them telling you there has been a high amount of applicants equate to their having an attitude?
Because she pretty much stated over the phone that this was a low paying job, and that she did not care, and prior to this economic mess employers who owned hospices reimbursed employees for gas or paid them a little more for it. This employer was not willing, at all. And given the economic conditions and how many of my friends have been treated by their employers, the impression I got was that I'd probably be canned the first time my car broke down, yet she isn't paying me enough per hour to maintain a car.

I'm appalled at the overall attitudes of the prospective employers. I feel like I'm not being treated with a lick of respect at all. I just interviewed yesterday with yet another person who doesn't know time management and showed up late.

Someone advised me via email to call Farmers Insurance so I did call their corporate headquarters and the person I spoke with was very upset at how I was treated during the interview. They told me flat out that their hiring managers are not supposed to act like he did.

I just feel like there are endless moronic hoops over and over again and its just getting worse. I'm wondering how long it will be before some prospective employer demands that I drive to Vegas and come back with with something they hid there in order to get an interview. As an added bonus, no one ever lets me know how I fared. I apply, I interview, and I never, ever hear back. This after spending what little money I have printing out resumes, and endless pages of paperwork and wasting hours and hours in interviews and taking personality tests and doing other mindless crap for these people who cannot simply write something to the effect of "sorry you did not get the job."

You cannot tell me that it has always been this way. I've been working since I was sixteen and never have I seen so much crap.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:09 PM

354 posts, read 855,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post
I'm just frustrated by the rudeness and the unprofessional behavior I've seen by hiring managers. So much that I want to throttle so many of them. Some of my annoyances:

I had a hospice owner demand that I print and fill out a bunch of paperwork for her at my own convenience, even after I'd filed for her job and she had seen and read my resume. She then told me that I was one of many who applied for this hospice job, where there will be no reimbursement for miles driven or anything. The packet of crap that she wanted me to print out to show up at a group interview with hundreds of other hopefulls was the icing on the cake: I don't have a working printer, even if I did, that packet would have run it out of ink. I sent her an email stating the she can consider someone from her army of desperate morons, but not me, since she is such an inconsiderate person.

I had a guy who works for Farmers Insurance interview me. He was late by 15 minutes to the interview and made me drive all the way across Orange county to have him hurl insults and pretty much try to get me to bad mouth my last boss. He gave me the classical "I'll call you." I left deciding that I would tell anyone I met that they should not get insurance from Farmers as Farmers doesn't know how to treat people well, and they promote idiots to manager level.

I had a nurse manager from HOAG Memorial Hospital brag incessantly about the "overwhelming response" she recieved to a no benefits per-diem job she had. I ended the call disgusted, since she had been talking gloatingly over the response.

I had a luxury car dealership that was looking for a receptionist give me the same "print this packet that will empty your printer of ink" response I got from the hospice lady. The email stated that I was to drive to Costa Mesa to sit through a presentation where, amongst the hundreds who had applied, I was to learn of the job that I had applied for (wait...did I not read that in the posting online???) and maybe, if they liked how I looked, they would interview me. By the way, in addition to the packet I was expected send them another resume.

Those are the four that stand out. Whenever I get called to interviews, which happens a lot, its always "ZOMG, I cannot believe the response!" either said with disbelief or snidely.

And don't even get me started on the job postings, with ever lower wages, and weird requirements. My favorite is when they ask for a picture and the job is not in the entertainment industry or at a restaurant like Hooters.

Don't even get me started on the postings that are not fillable, it seems, given that they live on forever, like the law firm that wants a legal secretary with a specific legal area experience exceeding ten years. Or my current favorite, that cannot seem to be filled, the Barnes and Noble in Orange that cannot find anyone to work for minimum wage who has that magical year of experience in retail to hock the new Nook.
I just became unemployed about a month ago and have been to a few job interviews so far. Luckly I haven't had any bad experiances yet. I have noticed though they all have let me know that they have a lot of canditates to choose from. And a couple of them were almost gloating. Why do they even say that? All it does is discourage you.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:34 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Because she pretty much stated over the phone that this was a low paying job, and that she did not care, and prior to this economic mess employers who owned hospices reimbursed employees for gas or paid them a little more for it. This employer was not willing, at all. And given the economic conditions and how many of my friends have been treated by their employers, the impression I got was that I'd probably be canned the first time my car broke down, yet she isn't paying me enough per hour to maintain a car.

I'm appalled at the overall attitudes of the prospective employers. I feel like I'm not being treated with a lick of respect at all. I just interviewed yesterday with yet another person who doesn't know time management and showed up late.

Someone advised me via email to call Farmers Insurance so I did call their corporate headquarters and the person I spoke with was very upset at how I was treated during the interview. They told me flat out that their hiring managers are not supposed to act like he did.

I just feel like there are endless moronic hoops over and over again and its just getting worse. I'm wondering how long it will be before some prospective employer demands that I drive to Vegas and come back with with something they hid there in order to get an interview. As an added bonus, no one ever lets me know how I fared. I apply, I interview, and I never, ever hear back. This after spending what little money I have printing out resumes, and endless pages of paperwork and wasting hours and hours in interviews and taking personality tests and doing other mindless crap for these people who cannot simply write something to the effect of "sorry you did not get the job."

You cannot tell me that it has always been this way. I've been working since I was sixteen and never have I seen so much crap.
I'm glad you called Farmers Corporate. He will hear back about what he did to you.

It will take him down a peg or two.

A couple of more complaints he may find the shoe is now on the other foot.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:59 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,519,774 times
Quote:

Maybe you can imagine how it would be working for these businesses. Sure you need work and money but it sounds like your work environment would be the pits. I hope you have some income coming in cause its rough out there.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:30 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,002 times
I hate those personality assessment tests that jobs make you take

Old 08-05-2011, 03:22 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,131,647 times
All I can say is your lucky your not 59 out there looking for a job - I have a very young voice and upon meeting me I barely get my rump in the chair when they thank me for coming in - I had gal say to me I need someone who can hit the floor running - I found that hilarious as being a Payroll Administrator if I didn't hit the floor running every week no one would have gotten paid

Old 08-06-2011, 12:10 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,915,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
How does not reimbursing you mileage, asking you to print paperwork, and them telling you there has been a high amount of applicants equate to their having an attitude?
It's not so much an attitude as it is being completely oblivous to the fact that a person who has been seeking employment for a while is most likely flat BROKE ie doesn't have the money to spend on paper, ink, gas etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Seriously. I'm beyond frustration. I'm ready to organize...mobilize...march on the White House. I'm ready to write some major blogs under a pen name. I'm short of getting a gun permit and joining some kind of a "militia." Or leave this country for good. I'm done.
Right there with ya, Sister.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
I hate those personality assessment tests that jobs make you take
I do too. I just finished applying for RETAIL work and they are demanding those silly tests that try to make you feel like a major defect is you answer truthfully to some of their inane questions. IE. Do you like being in the middle of large crowds or "Does it upset you when people are mean to you ?"

Applications for the most menial of jobs are also getting bigger and bigger. Whatever happened to simple 1 page applications ????? Now they want to know if you are a vet, or a welfare recipient, do you recieve subsidies for this and that etc etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
All I can say is your lucky your not 59 out there looking for a job - I have a very young voice and upon meeting me I barely get my rump in the chair when they thank me for coming in - I had gal say to me I need someone who can hit the floor running - I found that hilarious as being a Payroll Administrator if I didn't hit the floor running every week no one would have gotten paid
I hear that. I've applied for waitressing jobs as well as retail and line cook work and I always get looked over funny because I'm overweight. Even though I try to eat the healthiest diet possible and walk on a daily basis. The truth is I could run rings around some of the younger folk who sit on their asses twiddling their cell phones all day. But we know this country is all about surface appearances, don't we ? Screw talent & skills, it's what you LOOK like that counts, dammit !

Old 08-07-2011, 10:03 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
It amazes me that "managers" would waste anyone's time--including their own--with some of this stuff.

I require a resume. I sort through them, sort through them again, narrow it down to the top six (and the cover letter is equally as important as the resume to me, those that come without a cover letter aren't even considered) and call those people for phone interviews. I don't like to do interviews any more than the person I need to interview likes to do them, so I don't do these crazy long drawn out things.

If you don't engage me in the first two or three minutes of the phone interview, I move on and you'll never see me in person. Again, that way I'm not wasting anyone's time.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:07 AM

2,046 posts, read 5,585,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well how about Farmers Insurance? The OP has a valid point about how people looking for work are now treated.

The lack of manners and basic common courtesy today is unreal.

The only thing she left out is showing up at an interview and it is clear the person interviewing you didn't even take 5 minutes prior to the interview to review your resume.( and sometimes they don't even have a copy of your resume, which is why you always bring copies).

You're sitting in a conference room and they say "give me a minute" so they can figure out who they're talking to.

Real professional.
Agreed! Check out Manager Tools online - great site!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search