Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 10:40 PM

415 posts, read 615,872 times

Advertisements

I'm just frustrated by the rudeness and the unprofessional behavior I've seen by hiring managers. So much that I want to throttle so many of them. Some of my annoyances:

I had a hospice owner demand that I print and fill out a bunch of paperwork for her at my own convenience, even after I'd filed for her job and she had seen and read my resume. She then told me that I was one of many who applied for this hospice job, where there will be no reimbursement for miles driven or anything. The packet of crap that she wanted me to print out to show up at a group interview with hundreds of other hopefulls was the icing on the cake: I don't have a working printer, even if I did, that packet would have run it out of ink. I sent her an email stating the she can consider someone from her army of desperate morons, but not me, since she is such an inconsiderate person.

I had a guy who works for Farmers Insurance interview me. He was late by 15 minutes to the interview and made me drive all the way across Orange county to have him hurl insults and pretty much try to get me to bad mouth my last boss. He gave me the classical "I'll call you." I left deciding that I would tell anyone I met that they should not get insurance from Farmers as Farmers doesn't know how to treat people well, and they promote idiots to manager level.

I had a nurse manager from HOAG Memorial Hospital brag incessantly about the "overwhelming response" she recieved to a no benefits per-diem job she had. I ended the call disgusted, since she had been talking gloatingly over the response.

I had a luxury car dealership that was looking for a receptionist give me the same "print this packet that will empty your printer of ink" response I got from the hospice lady. The email stated that I was to drive to Costa Mesa to sit through a presentation where, amongst the hundreds who had applied, I was to learn of the job that I had applied for (wait...did I not read that in the posting online???) and maybe, if they liked how I looked, they would interview me. By the way, in addition to the packet I was expected send them another resume.

Those are the four that stand out. Whenever I get called to interviews, which happens a lot, its always "ZOMG, I cannot believe the response!" either said with disbelief or snidely.

And don't even get me started on the job postings, with ever lower wages, and weird requirements. My favorite is when they ask for a picture and the job is not in the entertainment industry or at a restaurant like Hooters.

Don't even get me started on the postings that are not fillable, it seems, given that they live on forever, like the law firm that wants a legal secretary with a specific legal area experience exceeding ten years. Or my current favorite, that cannot seem to be filled, the Barnes and Noble in Orange that cannot find anyone to work for minimum wage who has that magical year of experience in retail to hock the new Nook.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:22 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,992 times
How does not reimbursing you mileage, asking you to print paperwork, and them telling you there has been a high amount of applicants equate to their having an attitude?

Old 08-01-2011, 06:07 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I suppose all that paperwork could be a good way to reduce the huge number of applicants to a reasonable number, by eliminating those that don't want the job as badly. As for the others, there are definitely some
unprofessional hiring supervisors out there, and I certainly wouldn't expect much from one at a place like a bookstore where that person hiring probably only makes $2/hour more than those he/she is hiring. Applying at car dealers and insurance companies you should expect issues.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:34 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I suppose all that paperwork could be a good way to reduce the huge number of applicants to a reasonable number, by eliminating those that don't want the job as badly. As for the others, there are definitely some
unprofessional hiring supervisors out there, and I certainly wouldn't expect much from one at a place like a bookstore where that person hiring probably only makes $2/hour more than those he/she is hiring. Applying at car dealers and insurance companies you should expect issues.
Well how about Farmers Insurance? The OP has a valid point about how people looking for work are now treated.

The lack of manners and basic common courtesy today is unreal.

The only thing she left out is showing up at an interview and it is clear the person interviewing you didn't even take 5 minutes prior to the interview to review your resume.( and sometimes they don't even have a copy of your resume, which is why you always bring copies).

You're sitting in a conference room and they say "give me a minute" so they can figure out who they're talking to.

Real professional.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:51 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,799 times
Exactly..and these are managers, CEO, HR. etc. Yet some people are worried about CIA level background checks. Seriously?! Some of these interviewers couldn't find their own arse with their hands. How do they finish Wharton?

Old 08-01-2011, 05:25 PM

445 posts, read 864,771 times
I understand your frustration. It's an employer's market right now. And those aren't even good jobs you were inquiring about. I'm underemployed myself looking for something better. Go ahead and vent on here anytime.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:32 PM

Seriously. I'm beyond frustration. I'm ready to organize...mobilize...march on the White House. I'm ready to write some major blogs under a pen name. I'm short of getting a gun permit and joining some kind of a "militia." Or leave this country for good. I'm done.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:38 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Seriously. I'm beyond frustration. I'm ready to organize...mobilize...march on the White House. I'm ready to write some major blogs under a pen name. I'm short of getting a gun permit and joining some kind of a "militia." Or leave this country for good. I'm done.
Mexico's economy is humming right along. I wonder how Mexico will treat illegal Americans who cross their border to do work in Mexico that the Mexicans won't do.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:45 PM

Just look at how Mexico treats American tourists. Watch 20/20, Dateline, etc. They kidnap, rape and sell into prostitution, and murder Americans. So I would rather take my own life than "cross the border."

Old 08-01-2011, 08:05 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search