Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 02:40 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,529,163 times

Advertisements

I had a job offer last month. Turned it down sadly, since I didn't have the funds to move.....last month, the HR person said "let me know if your situation changes by the end of the month"......it didn't financially.
However, come Friday, of this week, I am 99% sure I will have the $ to make the move. At 1st I asked the HR lady if this same company and same position was hiring, like I heard, in the Seattle area (just over 100 miles from where I'm at, that move would have been affordable and easy). She said there was nothing she could do to help me there for some reason...and said hiring for her office and will consider me for future positions.....
taking into account that I was offered a job just over 1 month ago, consider seems kind of weak......how can I say, without being too aggressive, that I hope it's just a matter of penciling me into the next available class? Again, I didn't have the $ to move last month, this time, it looks almost certain I will...thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 06:01 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
If this is a firm that is hiring a lot of people every month for the same kind of work then you may have a chance. Otherwise they may have filled all openings by now. Simply state what happened and what has changed and ask for their consideration.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:29 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Just phone and advise the HR rep of your updated status and continued interest in the position you, unfortunately declined last month because your personal funds at the time couldn't cover the costs of moving. You will undoubtedly have to leave a voice mail message so tell her you will also send her an email to refresh her memory of you with your resume attached. "Mrs. Nice, this is Sheila Small -- the candidate who was so excited about JustGreat's job offer to me last month for the Smartypants job in the Development group. If you recall, I was so sad to decline the offer because I lacked the personal funds to relocate for the job. I just wanted to let you know that my situation has changed and I actually can afford to relocate at this time and I want to make sure you know I remain hopeful and excited about a career with JustGreat. I'll also send you an email with my resume in case you need a new one. Thanks & hope to hear from you... Sheila Small, 922-322-2222"

Then followup with short email and resume.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:32 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
I wouldn't really get into the details about your financials. It's sordid. Just say that you are following up on her advice to contact them if your circumstances changed. They have, and although more than a month has passed, you hope you will be considered for a similar position if it is available.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:31 AM

Again, consider, on their part, doesn't seem that reassuring.....how can I get them to say and agree that I can just be penciled in the next class, on my part, as far as qualifications and resume, nothing has changed....

Old 08-14-2011, 11:48 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Again, consider, on their part, doesn't seem that reassuring.....how can I get them to say and agree that I can just be penciled in the next class, on my part, as far as qualifications and resume, nothing has changed....
You can't. They are the ones holding all the cards here, not you. You can't coerce them into hiring you. Any attempt to be more forceful will probably backfire on you.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:07 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I wouldn't really get into the details about your financials. It's sordid. Just say that you are following up on her advice to contact them if your circumstances changed. They have, and although more than a month has passed, you hope you will be considered for a similar position if it is available.

It is too late for that now. The OP stated they shared their financial problems with the HR person. You know she notated that in her records.

Companies like to hire "problem free" people. By that I mean they don't want to know about your financial situations, child custody issues, transportation problems, etc.

After you have been working at a place and are doing a good job if something comes up they normally are understanding.

Not before you're hired. There are too many applicants who are ready, willing, and able to move if necessary.

An image has now been created(whether it is fair or not) that this person could be a problem employee if now hired. HR might start thinking is their car 12yrs old and if we hire them will we be getting calls that they're broken down on the freeway.

Even the OP doesn't sound 100% sure they can now make the move.

"Again, I didn't have the $ to move last month, this time, it looks almost certain I will"....doesn't sound so certain.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:46 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It is too late for that now. The OP stated they shared their financial problems with the HR person. You know she notated that in her records.

Companies like to hire "problem free" people. By that I mean they don't want to know about your financial situations, child custody issues, transportation problems, etc.

After you have been working at a place and are doing a good job if something comes up they normally are understanding.

Not before you're hired. There are too many applicants who are ready, willing, and able to move if necessary.

An image has now been created(whether it is fair or not) that this person could be a problem employee if now hired. HR might start thinking is their car 12yrs old and if we hire them will we be getting calls that they're broken down on the freeway.

Even the OP doesn't sound 100% sure they can now make the move.

"Again, I didn't have the $ to move last month, this time, it looks almost certain I will"....doesn't sound so certain.
I agree Sean---

Basically the OP sounds like he may just be able to swing it to relocate-- but may not be able too either. I would not even call back the HR group unless I knew for absolute certainty (barring any horrific events) that I could make the move.

It sounds like the company was interested in you, but the company would lose any remaining interest SUPER fast if the candidate seems like they dont really have a handle on knowing whether or not they can make a move.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:32 PM

Cars can break down at anytime, so that's not quite what I meant by making the move, even if that happened on the freeway, I'm sure I could figure out something, even if it meant storing a few things in a storage locker and doing a one way car rental......
what I meant by uncertainty, is I want 100% assurance that my last paycheck from the employer that I got laid off from is going to be the amount I am lead to believe it is, while they put that in writing, they've been flaky enough, to make me feel insecure, about what they do....

Old 08-14-2011, 07:01 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
It sounds like your finances are very tight. You should have some type of emergency fund especially when you plan on moving.

What are you going to do if you move and something unexpected comes up?

The car is an example. And never tell a potential employer you're having money problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search