Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 07:18 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,525,636 times

Advertisements

There's no right or wrong answer? Who are these people kidding? Some of these questions, like "My friends say I am easily angered" or "I feel bad for criminals when they are caught" or "If my friends steal from work, it's not my problem"?.....But yet they have the nerve to say this?

The following section contains statements about beliefs, attitudes, habits, and personal styles. Some of these statements may describe you very accurately, while others may not describe you at all. Read each statement carefully and choose the answer that best corresponds to your agreement or disagreement. There are no right or wrong answers.Choose the one answer that best corresponds to your agreement or disagreement using the following scale:

* Strongly Disagree
* Disagree
* Neutral
* Agree
* Strongly Agree

Because dishonest or inaccurate responding may prevent you from being considered for this position, it is recommended that you answer each question accurately and honestly.

But yet, again, there is no right or wrong answer?
If there are posters outside of the USA, do they have these in your country?
I believe these, unless it's say, a position that may ask questions about sales aptitude or if you're trying to be in law enforcement....are almost treasonous....when companies like Wal Mart give them for a 9.00 an hour job?.....America is falling apart....really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 07:59 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
I don't believe they have any value either, but since everyone that applies there has to take it, you are no worse off than anyone else.

I'd guess they are used because those minimum wage jobs have so many applicants it helps control the numbers.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:06 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I believe these....are almost treasonous.....

See current thread here: //www.city-data.com/forum/work-...d-out-job.html

Old 08-19-2011, 05:20 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
They're nothing new, just a recycling of an old ploy. I remember having to complete a couple of similar tests in the 70s/80s when applying for jobs. I thought they were daft then and my opinion hasn't changed.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:41 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,649,687 times
I've had to do a couple of those sorts of tests when applying to bigger/American-owned companies over here. If I remember rightly it was the same test you'd get over there, American spellings and all - complete pain in the arse and gives far less indication of how good you'd actually be at the job than even a two-minute face-to-face interview. Makes me glad to work for a small company which doesn't do all the false corporate HR crap.

It certainly can be difficult to find a job here with useless recruitment agencies /stupidly complicated and lengthy hiring procedures and even the most menial job still having 200+ applicants, but if what I've read on these boards is accurate of the US then it still sounds easier or at least less complicated than over there - no drug testing/no affirmative action/no at-will employment laws/job-related health insurance being a non-issue.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:52 AM

191 posts, read 357,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
I've had to do a couple of those sorts of tests when applying to bigger/American-owned companies over here. If I remember rightly it was the same test you'd get over there, American spellings and all - complete pain in the arse and gives far less indication of how good you'd actually be at the job than even a two-minute face-to-face interview. Makes me glad to work for a small company which doesn't do all the false corporate HR crap.

It certainly can be difficult to find a job here with useless recruitment agencies /stupidly complicated and lengthy hiring procedures and even the most menial job still having 200+ applicants, but if what I've read on these boards is accurate of the US then it still sounds easier or at least less complicated than over there - no drug testing/no affirmative action/no at-will employment laws/job-related health insurance being a non-issue.

Ben 86: How is the London job market? I want to move there and am currently in the U.S. I am a young college student so maybe i will try and go to a university in London I wonder if applying for jobs in london would be hard?

OP: I dont think they serve any other purpose than weeding out job seekers, i can apply to 20 jobs a day. When i see one with a questions like these i usually skip that job and apply for a different one.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:01 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,649,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VACollegeStudent View Post
Ben 86: How is the London job market? I want to move there and am currently in the U.S. I am a young college student so maybe i will try and go to a university in London I wonder if applying for jobs in london would be hard?

OP: I dont think they serve any other purpose than weeding out job seekers, i can apply to 20 jobs a day. When i see one with a questions like these i usually skip that job and apply for a different one.
Unless you have joint citizenship with a European country then it's pretty much impossible for somebody in your position to get a proper job here. If you come here as a student you could work up to ten hours a week (I think) but for a full-time job basically an employer would have to prove that there was nobody in Europe who could do what you can do. Most Americans who work here start out in an American company and get transferred over, either that or come via marriage.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:32 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
They actaully are put together by phycologist and you would be surprised now good they work. they are full of silly questions on purpose but those are not the one they are really intersted in.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:23 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Quote:
You can start your research into immigration into the UK right here:

UK Border Agency | Immigration Rules

Old 08-19-2011, 10:34 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,636 times
Quote:
I don't disagree with the first part, especially at companies hiring retail type positions where they can get a swarm of applications for a small number of slots. Most companies in this position need to do something to cut down the pool of applicants to a more manageable number.

20 jobs per day? I assume that means just sending your resume to 20 companies on line in a single day? Many people do this type of mass application (as opposed to taking the time to tailor their resume for each individual position being applied for), hence the large volume of applicants that need to be weeded out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search