Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 05:28 PM

40 posts, read 145,841 times

Advertisements

I was laid off from my job in February. I was lucky enough to find a contract (W-2 only) position making about the same money - at the same corporate campus, but this is a limited term job and might be over with any day now. I've been actively searching for a new job for the last three months and I am blown away by how much the job market has changed since the last time I was actively looking for something.

Wages are down, and if you try to play hard to get - they go get someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 05:41 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
This one gets me all the time. People who have it in their heads that they should not have to work more than 40 hours a week. I have met very few professionals who made good money who didn't put at least 55 hours a week in the office
I'm not talking about upper level management who get paid very very well. I'm talking about the peon who makes far less and is still expected to work extra hours for nothing.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:42 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
1) Experience has nothing to do with talent. We all start somewhere.

2) Everyone needs to learn the processes of a particular workplace. Also, as that workplace introduces new technology and so on, you'd better believe OJT is necessary. Employees should not have to pay to take a seminar offsite out of their own pockets.

3) Spreading an employee too thin will give you thin results. If you want people to excel, it is up to you, as the employer, to get the most out of their strengths. Anything else is bad management.

4) You get what you pay for. GIGO--garbage in, garbage out.

5) If you can't afford to give your employees health care, you have no business having employees. If you don't see the value in giving your employees time off, and you aren't familiar with how much more productive well-rested employees are, you'll soon be out of business anyway, because your products will start to suck, you'll be turning over staff like flapjacks at a country brunch (with all the attending costs of orientation and ramp-up for new employees), and eventually someone is going to make a big mistake that wrecks your reputation.

6) That is simply not true. I'm 44 years old and I haven't worked even 45 hours in one week since I was 23, while working for someone else. (When I break 40 freelancing, it's because I'm marketing my skills and doing all of the administrative stuff, like researching prospects.) Ditto nearly all of my colleagues. If your employees are working 55 hours a week all the time, it means one of several things: they are not qualified for the jobs they are in, which is your fault for hiring them; you are understaffed, which is also your fault; they have personal problems and don't want to go home.

Your words are those of an exploiter, and they represent all that is wrong with the American workplace these days. I suspect that when the economy turns around, you'll be screaming bloody murder about how good help is hard to find--if you're still in business at all.
Excellent rebuttal. +1

Old 08-21-2011, 05:47 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
1) People without experience are not talented.
2) People who are talented do not need OJT... that's why they are called talented and not clueless.
3) Talented includes cross-training in the modern work place. If all you can do is one task, you are not talented.
4). Yes, I am seeing this. People are desperate and will work for less. I don't see how this is a bad thing for employers.
5) Try paying for your "crap" benefits on the market as I do. They're expensive. See #4.
6) Professional jobs have long required 55+ hour a week commitments and many professionals are salaried. Nothing new.
I don't agree with your post at all. See post #5.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:38 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
I keep seeing people post it' an "EMPLOYER"S MARKET" right now

When was it ever a EMPLOYEE"S MARKET?

Old 08-21-2011, 06:50 PM

346 posts, read 498,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
But you are the one who says that the successful are the ones your talking about. Its just the economic realities really.Even in past recessions business did not hire the untrained over the trained;it would make no sense to.Even what skills are needed is changing quicker than ever and its been no secret unless a person had their head in the sand.
Yes, but I think no matter how experienced you are, there is going to be a learning curve and period of transition. Even if I am working 8 years in my position at our NY office, then transfer to the same job in LA, there is going to be learning their way of doing things vs. back in NY. In any case, a good employer that wants to make sure a quality job is done will take the time and provide necessary training. Not expect someone to just jump in and do a bang-up job on day one, which is what you hear about some of these companies expecting.

The trouble with this recession is that many companies have gotten used to having fewer employees, and are still trying to get away with not having to hire more, or pay a decent wage like they used to. You hear about this even though these companies are making record profits, they are hoarding every penny they can for themselves. Same deal with outsourcing when we heard the giant sucking sound of the jobs going away overseas.

I do see them shooting themselves in the foot when doing this long enough. High turnover will result in a lower quality product and service. Not only that, but when people are not paid a decent wage - fewer people will be buying their products. The top 1-2% of rich cannot sustain this economy alone. Henry Ford understood this, which is why he resolved to pay his workers a decent living wage.

Last edited by catnip8056; 08-21-2011 at 06:59 PM..

Old 08-21-2011, 06:51 PM

346 posts, read 498,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjacket View Post
i'm not talking about upper level management who get paid very very well. I'm talking about the peon who makes far less and is still expected to work extra hours for nothing.
Exactly.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:59 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip8056 View Post
I do see them shooting themselves in the foot when doing this long enough. High turnover will result in a lower quality product and service.
I agree with what you are saying. The only issue with this is, low quality products and services have never stopped American's from consuming. We buy products from China that are toxic. Sure they catch some of it... After awhile! And when it comes to the services, the workers themselves I have found to be more polite and harder working then ever. I went to some restaurants last week. Wow, was the wait staff polite, timely, and seemingly concerned that I enjoyed my experience. When it comes to worker interactions with the customer (me), I have not been disappointed in the past few years. It isn't just restaurants either, but a good example. The workers themselves are hustling out there.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:03 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
"When was it ever a EMPLOYEE"S MARKET"

Late 90s, plus 2003-2006. Unemployment was very low, far below 6% full employment rate we were brought up to feel was true.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:07 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
I'm not talking about upper level management who get paid very very well. I'm talking about the peon who makes far less and is still expected to work extra hours for nothing.
Most states have laws requiring that for hourly employees overtime be paid for more than 40 hours work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search