Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 12:52 PM

977 posts, read 1,814,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
In any case companies have no moral high ground to expect that level of courtesy when 99% of them don't have the courtesy to inform you of their decision after the interview.
Exactly. Why are we expected to send thank you notes when I've yet to ever receive a thank you note from the company after an interview? Like my time is worthless.

That said, unfortunately, it is better to send one than not send one in the eyes of those hiring so I have to also recommend it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 12:57 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,199,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos Quarterback View Post
Exactly. Why are we expected to send thank you notes when I've yet to ever receive a thank you note from the company after an interview? Like my time is worthless.

That said, unfortunately, it is better to send one than not send one in the eyes of those hiring so I have to also recommend it.
I know! Those 30 seconds it takes to fire off an email so you seem like a decent human being!

Who has that kind of time?

Old 08-22-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I know! Those 30 seconds it takes to fire off an email so you seem like a decent human being!

Who has that kind of time?
Sometimes you interview with like 7 or 8 people so it's more like 4 minutes unless you just blast off one email to 7 or 8 at once which doesn't seem cool.

In any case, you're missing me and Chemist's point: And that is it seems like a one way street where the employee/interviewee has to kiss ass, be courteous, and jump through hoops while the employer/interviewer doesn't have to do squat.

As he mentioned before, most companies don't even have the courtesy to say "thanks, but no thanks, we hired someone else".

When I interview, I make it a point to hire people who are the least "corporate" like so if I see that they didn't send a thank you note, I say "good for him" and would hire him over others all else equal. I don't want a corporate douchebag or corporate schill working for me or with me.

I swear, you and most people are nothing but corporate donkeys!

Old 08-22-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Sometimes you interview with like 7 or 8 people so it's more like 4 minutes unless you just blast off one email to 7 or 8 at once which doesn't seem cool.

In any case, you're missing me and Chemist's point: And that is it seems like a one way street where the employee/interviewee has to kiss ass, be courteous, and jump through hoops while the employer/interviewer doesn't have to do squat.

As he mentioned before, most companies don't even have the courtesy to say "thanks, but no thanks, we hired someone else".

When I interview, I make it a point to hire people who are the least "corporate" like so if I see that they didn't send a thank you note, I say "good for him" and would hire him over others all else equal. I don't want a corporate douchebag or corporate schill working for me or with me.

And I think you missed my point....you are working for them, you play by their rules. They don't owe you a thing. If you don't like it, start your own company.

How ridiculous can you and Chemist be? What else do you do? Walk into a grocery store and complain that the guy who owns the place doesn't push your cart around for you?

Old 08-22-2011, 01:11 PM

The other thing I hate about thank you notes is that they are usually not genuine. We're pretty much all doing it to gain an edge over others and/or to keep us on a level playing field.

How many of us are really doing it to out of gratitude to the potential employer? Be honest, it's more about doing it to look good.

Phony, but what else is new in the work world?

Old 08-22-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
What else do you do? Walk into a grocery store and complain that the guy who owns the place doesn't push your cart around for you?
Bad analogy as the workers in the grocery store usually thank me for shopping so I in turn say thank you for bagging my groceries or whatever. Now if they were as discourteous as employers are, I would never thank them.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:16 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,696,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
No it is recommended that you let the interviewer do ~85% of the talking.
By whom? And for what kind of position?

At a corporate level, if I interview someone and they do very little talking, they're hurting themselves; sitting there and being docile and quiet is not usually a good thing (unless they babbe incoherently). On the flip side, when I do an interview - I do a fair amount of talking and ask lots of questions. Good interviewees will answer a question and then turn it around into a question back at the interviewer.

Example:

Interviewer: What are your core skills that make you a good fit for this position:

Interviewee: Skills A, B, C & D. What skills do you consider critical for someone in this position to have?

]Interviewer: A, B, C, D & E

Interviewee: Well I also have some experince with skill E.

Last edited by Tober138; 08-22-2011 at 01:26 PM..

Old 08-22-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Bad analogy as the workers in the grocery store usually thank me for shopping so I in turn say thank you for bagging my groceries or whatever. Now if they were as discourteous as employers are, I would never thank them.
Employers typically mirror your attitude. I have yet to have an interview where I didn't end up laughing, smiling and joking around with the interviewer. Most interviewers are nice, genuine people. They can simply see through anyone who is 'acting'. People who treat corporations as 'the enemy' get the a cold reception because no one wants to work with someone like that.

And you dodged my question. If you hate corporate america so much, why don't you stop whining and start your own company? Do something to change your situation or stop whining about it.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:25 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,696,757 times
Quote:

So? As I stated earlier - if that happens, take the high road and be the more courteous one.

Quote:

Quote:
The other thing I hate about thank you notes is that they are usually not genuine. We're pretty much all doing it to gain an edge over others and/or to keep us on a level playing field.

How many of us are really doing it to out of gratitude to the potential employer? Be honest, it's more about doing it to look good.
How many guys wear ties because they genuinely like wearing them? Its more about doing it to look a certain way.

I swear...the level of antagonism over something as simple as a tiny little thank you note is astounding. I wonder how people this upset about such a minor thing would feel if they had to stay at work for an extra 10 minutes.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
And you dodged my question. If you hate corporate america so much, why don't you stop whining and start your own company? Do something to change your situation or stop whining about it.
Why do you assume my situation is so bad? Actually, I have it pretty nice overall. That said, I still can feel other peoples' pain as I've heard the stories. Also, who knows if my situation will always exist so that's why I save up as much as I can without depriving myself in order to exit corporate Amerikka 5 years from now. Financial independence!

Staring your own company? Yeah right, that's a highly risky strategy with its own pitfalls. There's no good route other than to do what I am doing (see above) as far as I can tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search