Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 11:47 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,984,807 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about attending this job fair in New Jersey. I am a bit iffy because I have signed up but haven't received any information as to what companies will be in attendance.

Instead of having a long line, they have us sit and present each company to us via projector, then we choose which company is the right fit for us

Its free. Should I still go and check it out? A direct link to their website is below.

Career Showcase | Your Path To A New Career
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 12:35 PM

475 posts, read 1,370,530 times
Well it is listed by the nj dol so I would hope it was at least not a scam. There is an email address listed here maybe ask or call.

Job Fairs and Upcoming Events

Old 08-25-2011, 01:47 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,764,996 times
Did you see recently on the news regarding the job fair held in Atlanta? There were 10,000 people who showed up and waited for hours in the hot sun only to be told by "recruiter" inside that they could apply ONLINE

What is the purpose of a "job Fair" if you do not get to meet with hiring managers and submit your resume in person?

I live quite a distance from the area they hold the local "job fairs" and to me it seems like a giant waste of gas and time. It is even more so if you are looking for specialized types of work.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:11 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Did you see recently on the news regarding the job fair held in Atlanta? There were 10,000 people who showed up and waited for hours in the hot sun only to be told by "recruiter" inside that they could apply ONLINE

What is the purpose of a "job Fair" if you do not get to meet with hiring managers and submit your resume in person?

I live quite a distance from the area they hold the local "job fairs" and to me it seems like a giant waste of gas and time. It is even more so if you are looking for specialized types of work.

There was never a purpose to a job fair which is why I never went within 10 feet of one. Plus the idea of being dressed up and standing in line with other unemployed people looks dumb since you are prt of the "unemployed crew"

Old 08-25-2011, 03:51 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,984,807 times
I decided against going.

I never noticed that there was contact information listed on the website.

Since its a New Jersey based company that hosts these "job fairs" i'm sure they will have other ones here and within the area.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:49 AM

2,494 posts, read 3,245,672 times
There was a job fair in Sacramento this week. The news media showed people standing in 97 degree heat to get inside.
Inside they were referred to the company's websites.
Im glad I skipped it and stayed cool in the AC at home.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:55 PM

1 posts, read 11,738 times
I went to the career showcase tonight. All I can say was I was disappointed. If you are interested in sales it may be worth checking out, but don't let them fool you they are ALL sales jobs many commision based only. One was to be a sales person in a Sleepys showroom. They were legitimit companies but what a joke. The one guy even remarked that he is changing up his pitch tonight because the other guy had heard it so many times, so dont bother thinking going to any one of their events anywhere would be any different. Also, where I went there are dozens of large pharmacutical companies and there wasn't a single one there.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:42 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,498,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacey2323 View Post
I went to the career showcase tonight. All I can say was I was disappointed. If you are interested in sales it may be worth checking out, but don't let them fool you they are ALL sales jobs many commision based only. One was to be a sales person in a Sleepys showroom. They were legitimit companies but what a joke. The one guy even remarked that he is changing up his pitch tonight because the other guy had heard it so many times, so dont bother thinking going to any one of their events anywhere would be any different. Also, where I went there are dozens of large pharmacutical companies and there wasn't a single one there.
You are exactly right Lacey. I went to 3 over the year that I was unemployed. As you said, they were legit companies but all were for sales jobs and a lot of commission only. Sleepy`s was also there. They actually hired me..this was about 2 years ago. A friend I went with got hired by Sears home improvement. Neither one of us are still at those jobs. A lot of the companies just directed people to their website to fill out an application. If you are looking for something other than sales, it`s a waste of time.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:07 PM

71 posts, read 249,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacey2323 View Post
Similar situation in PA. Most of the jobs fairs I've been to were mostly sales - insurance, pool supplies, real estate, candles (LOL), etc. The tables that draw the biggest crowds were the "other than sales" jobs but they were mostly warehouse or factory jobs.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 9,714 times
I decided against going to their job fairs for a few reasons...

1. This is the only review that I could find related to their job fairs. If they do job fairs all over the country, I should be able to find more than one site, without having to look too hard.
2. The fact that the companies attending are doing presentations tells me that they NEED to sell me on their company. In this economy, if you have to sell people on a job, it's probably a job nobody else wants.
3. Where is the list of companies attending? I like to do research before I meet with a prospective employer. The fact that you're so secretive about who's attending is a little sketchy to me.

I actually want to do sales, and I definitely want to get back to working, but attending one of their job fairs just doesn't seem worth it to me. In no way am I saying that others shouldn't go, hell, I hope people post more experiences up here telling me how wrong I am, I just need to get a lot more facts about them before I attend one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search