Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 10:00 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,306,091 times

Advertisements

Yeah I know I have may have ranted on here from time to time but I have been doing something about my unemploymen situation, luckily Albertson's called me today after submitting an application to them a couple of weeks ago, or almost a month, they called me in for an Interview which I have tomorrow, this really made my dad in a way, although I won't be satisfied if I actually get hired, i'm just happy because by giving me an interview, to me that feels like they are giving me at least half of a chance, because before I had applied at so many places but they never even gave me an interview in the first place. So anyway, I obviously plan to dress very nicely for tomorrow, but since I have not had that many interviews in my life-time, i'm obviously inexperienced, so for those who have worked or currently work in a Grocery store, what kind of questions do they ask you in the interview and how should I respond? I want to tell them what they want to hear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 10:05 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,471,247 times
Let me google that for you

Old 09-17-2011, 12:11 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,186,436 times
First of all, congratulations on securing an interviewing. Second of all, what position did you apply for at the grocery store?

I worked 12 years in the grocery business with two different companies. I don't recall the interviews being too difficult at that time. And this is the time where you filled out a paper application and did not have to answer 100 personality questions. You simply handed the application to the lady at the service desk and more than likely you had interview the next day. Some of the questions I recall were "Tell me about yourself?" and "What is your availability?" The latter is very important and just say you are available anytime. The grocery business like any other retail want workers to be able to work days, night, weekdays, and weekends. I do remember if you applied for a cashier job, they made you take a simple math test. I don't recall any behavioral questions but perhaps interviews have changed

Just go into the interview with a positive and friendly attitude. Grocery stores want workers who can talk to the customers, so be able to talk in complete sentences.

Good luck! any questions about the grocery business just ask me!

Old 09-17-2011, 12:56 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,663,385 times
they will prob ask you about customer service and what would you do in a scenario if you worked there

Old 09-17-2011, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
First of all, congratulations on securing an interviewing. Second of all, what position did you apply for at the grocery store?

I worked 12 years in the grocery business with two different companies. I don't recall the interviews being too difficult at that time. And this is the time where you filled out a paper application and did not have to answer 100 personality questions. You simply handed the application to the lady at the service desk and more than likely you had interview the next day. Some of the questions I recall were "Tell me about yourself?" and "What is your availability?" The latter is very important and just say you are available anytime. The grocery business like any other retail want workers to be able to work days, night, weekdays, and weekends. I do remember if you applied for a cashier job, they made you take a simple math test. I don't recall any behavioral questions but perhaps interviews have changed

Just go into the interview with a positive and friendly attitude. Grocery stores want workers who can talk to the customers, so be able to talk in complete sentences.

Good luck! any questions about the grocery business just ask me!
Well Albertsons, and many of the other Major Grocery Stores such as Ralphs are going on Strike, and I applied for Stock and Cashier(eventhough i'm inexperienced at the Cashier), but I saw the sign posted outside saying that inexperienced cashiers will make 10 bucks an hour, so that sounded like they do not discriminate against inexperienced unlike most employers nowadays, that they are willing to train me, and I submitted 2 applications, a paper one and the online one, the online one submitted several applications to many local Albertson's within my area, the paper one was to the one i applied at, and thats the one where i have the interview

Old 09-17-2011, 11:15 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,186,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
Well Albertsons, and many of the other Major Grocery Stores such as Ralphs are going on Strike, and I applied for Stock and Cashier(eventhough i'm inexperienced at the Cashier), but I saw the sign posted outside saying that inexperienced cashiers will make 10 bucks an hour, so that sounded like they do not discriminate against inexperienced unlike most employers nowadays, that they are willing to train me, and I submitted 2 applications, a paper one and the online one, the online one submitted several applications to many local Albertson's within my area, the paper one was to the one i applied at, and thats the one where i have the interview
I worked for a Supervalu owned store and both times I got hired were in the month of October. The holidays are a big part of any grocery business and there was always a number of college students who would go back to school in the fall, leaving a number of open positions that needed to be filled. So figure that to be a good sign.

Kudos on applying for the stock/cashier position. The first position I held was bagger/cart gatherer. Easy money for a 16 year old, but when I received a promotion to grocery stock a year a later, the hours I accumulated went back to zero because of our union contract.

You can be easily trained to be a cashier. It's not difficult. Memorizing the produce codes can be daunting but there is always a chart by your station and after a while it's like riding bicycle.

When is your interview?

Old 09-17-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
I worked for a Supervalu owned store and both times I got hired were in the month of October. The holidays are a big part of any grocery business and there was always a number of college students who would go back to school in the fall, leaving a number of open positions that needed to be filled. So figure that to be a good sign.

Kudos on applying for the stock/cashier position. The first position I held was bagger/cart gatherer. Easy money for a 16 year old, but when I received a promotion to grocery stock a year a later, the hours I accumulated went back to zero because of our union contract.

You can be easily trained to be a cashier. It's not difficult. Memorizing the produce codes can be daunting but there is always a chart by your station and after a while it's like riding bicycle.

When is your interview?
it was today, this morning, just got home from it, it went by pretty quick, he did not ask me that many questions, the store director was the one that interviewed me in his office

Old 09-17-2011, 11:54 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,413,490 times
Yeah, go behind the picket lines, you scab. Nice.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:03 PM

well even if I do not get hired, I would like this discussion to stay open longer I can better prepare myself for another Grocery Store Interview in the future

Old 09-17-2011, 12:06 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,052,916 times
Most places do drug screenings and some a short background check, are either of those a problem for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search