U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 08:53 AM

15,549 posts, read 21,528,450 times

Advertisements

I dont know about California but, in most states, former employers wont reveal anything other than your work dates, job title and whether you'd be hire-able back there again. if the answer to the third question is NO, many potential employers wont even consider hiring you.

You might be better off not including that Disneyland job on your resume, especially since it was such a short time. Emphasize your volunteer work instead.

I'm sorry that you've had such trouble finding work. Please try not to get discouraged, angry, upset, whatever. Have you tried going to an employment agency? At the least, someone there could give you some advice on what may be derailing you in your job efforts...perhaps a haircut or different clothes. Good Luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 04:09 PM

1,198 posts, read 2,138,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I dont know about California but, in most states, former employers wont reveal anything other than your work dates, job title and whether you'd be hire-able back there again. if the answer to the third question is NO, many potential employers wont even consider hiring you.

You might be better off not including that Disneyland job on your resume, especially since it was such a short time. Emphasize your volunteer work instead.

I'm sorry that you've had such trouble finding work. Please try not to get discouraged, angry, upset, whatever. Have you tried going to an employment agency? At the least, someone there could give you some advice on what may be derailing you in your job efforts...perhaps a haircut or different clothes. Good Luck!
I actually called back Disneyland, I contacted the Human Resources Department and I asked them what information do they give out regarding why a former employee left, and they said they do not tell other employers that he/she was fired, they do not even give out the answer that if a person is re-hirable, just the dates and what I did, I hope they are telling the truth and being honest with me

Old 10-03-2011, 04:13 PM

Dont count on their being honest with you. Why should they? Anything they tell you can be used against them in a court of law, should you decide to sue them. Your best bet is to presume that they will tell any potential employers that you're not re-hireable and remove that job from your resume.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:26 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,814,093 times
I can't really either. A recruiter even said to me "You must interview like **** because on paper you seem to have a good background, I don't know anyone with anything close to your background whom is out of work".

Old 10-03-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Dont count on their being honest with you. Why should they? Anything they tell you can be used against them in a court of law, should you decide to sue them. Your best bet is to presume that they will tell any potential employers that you're not re-hireable and remove that job from your resume.
yeah because at the same time employers are extremely reluctant to hire someone who was fired from a previous job and someone who has little to no experience, what should I do then?

Old 10-03-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:

and how do I not let getting denied employment after submitting a job application? how do I not take it personally?

Old 10-03-2011, 07:50 PM

May I ask why you were fired? Perhaps if we know that we can offer more direct advice.

And. while I'd never recommend lying big-time on a resume, I might suggest that you say you've been caring for an aging/ill parent for the past few years.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
how do I not take it personally?
It's certainly not easy not to take it personally. But you have to get past that to get on with your life and succeed at finding a job.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
May I ask why you were fired? Perhaps if we know that we can offer more direct advice.

And. while I'd never recommend lying big-time on a resume, I might suggest that you say you've been caring for an aging/ill parent for the past few years.
I turned in my community college class schedule to them and they still did not provide me with a flexible work schedule, no flexible hours, basically my work schedule conflicted with my school schedule so i had to call in many times saying i could not make it, it was attendence reasons. So should I just mention my volunteer work only? thats all?

Old 10-04-2011, 06:21 PM

Wow. Your school schedule interfered with your work schedule so Disneyworld let you go....that's not what I would consider a real "firing". In that case, you should be re-hireable at Disneyworld (unless there was something else going on, as well).

But, to me, it still doesnt look good to have only one job that lasted only four months on your resume. If you keep that job on your resume, you might want to include the reason you left too...just something short like "Left because of school schedule".

Any interviewer is going to ask what you've been doing these past few years. And, since they see your resume before they see you, it's always good to have your resume speak well of you. So I do think you need to address, on the resume, what you've been doing...going to school, caring for family members, volunteering, etc.

Again, good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search