U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 07:47 PM

330 posts, read 1,392,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
I would really like some advice please, the fact that I've been unemployed for 4 years now, have only had 1 real job in my life-time, does that mean I am doomed?

Probably. How old are you? Male or female. If you are a young and attractive you might get hired again despite being out of work for 4 years.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 07:49 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,819,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaj2 View Post
Probably. How old are you? Male or female. If you are a young and attractive you might get hired again despite being out of work for 4 years.

Yes, if you are 'younger' (in your 20's) employers are a h*ll of alot more forgiving of someone with questionable gaps in their work history than if you are in your 30's or older. What does being 'attractive' have to do with it??

Old 10-04-2011, 07:55 PM

330 posts, read 1,392,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
Yes, if you are 'younger' (in your 20's) employers are a h*ll of alot more forgiving of someone with questionable gaps in their work history than if you are in your 30's or older. What does being 'attractive' have to do with it??
Are you serious asking that question about looks? Good looking people get hired more than ugly people.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:15 PM

1,198 posts, read 2,142,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Wow. Your school schedule interfered with your work schedule so Disneyworld let you go....that's not what I would consider a real "firing". In that case, you should be re-hireable at Disneyworld (unless there was something else going on, as well).

But, to me, it still doesnt look good to have only one job that lasted only four months on your resume. If you keep that job on your resume, you might want to include the reason you left too...just something short like "Left because of school schedule".

Any interviewer is going to ask what you've been doing these past few years. And, since they see your resume before they see you, it's always good to have your resume speak well of you. So I do think you need to address, on the resume, what you've been doing...going to school, caring for family members, volunteering, etc.

Again, good luck!
no i was literally fired

Old 10-04-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaj2 View Post
Are you serious asking that question about looks? Good looking people get hired more than ugly people.
happens more to good-looking women than men

Old 10-04-2011, 11:19 PM

820 posts, read 1,617,057 times
Quote:
different things, sorry I could not fit everything on the title, yes I've been struggling to get a job, although lately I had my first job interview in a very long time recently, like 3 weeks ago at Albertson's, the Grocery store, but I did not get hired, I called them and they told me that everyone who got interviews did not get hired because the strike did not end up happening. Anyway, yes I will be honest that I am inexperienced, I have been unemployed since October 2007, and I will be honest that I have stood in the way of me getting a job because I have gotten very pissed off, tired and frustrated of applying at so many places and not getting a phone call back, not getting any kind of response back, as in no interview, and not getting hired, so it has been me being passive but lately since the Month of May of this year I've been Volunteering to gain references, taking charge and initiative for my life. But anyway, what I find to be very unfair is that employers want you to have experience but how do you gain experience if nobody will give you a chance? there is always a first time for everything in life.
Also, these are entry-level jobs I have been applying at, places such as grocery stores, fast-food places such as McDonalds, In-N-Out, Burger King, etc. Movie Theaters, Clothing Stores, Retail, customer-service jobs, and I can't even get an interview from those places, let alone getting hired.
It's too bad there are so many illegals living in so cal, I guarantee you're competing with them for these jobs.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
It's too bad there are so many illegals living in so cal, I guarantee you're competing with them for these jobs.
so what should I do about my unemployment situation? am I doomed?

Old 10-05-2011, 03:27 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,575,267 times
Quote:
different things, sorry I could not fit everything on the title, yes I've been struggling to get a job, although lately I had my first job interview in a very long time recently, like 3 weeks ago at Albertson's, the Grocery store, but I did not get hired, I called them and they told me that everyone who got interviews did not get hired because the strike did not end up happening. Anyway, yes I will be honest that I am inexperienced, I have been unemployed since October 2007, and I will be honest that I have stood in the way of me getting a job because I have gotten very pissed off, tired and frustrated of applying at so many places and not getting a phone call back, not getting any kind of response back, as in no interview, and not getting hired, so it has been me being passive but lately since the Month of May of this year I've been Volunteering to gain references, taking charge and initiative for my life. But anyway, what I find to be very unfair is that employers want you to have experience but how do you gain experience if nobody will give you a chance? there is always a first time for everything in life.
Also, these are entry-level jobs I have been applying at, places such as grocery stores, fast-food places such as McDonalds, In-N-Out, Burger King, etc. Movie Theaters, Clothing Stores, Retail, customer-service jobs, and I can't even get an interview from those places, let alone getting hired.
OP, don't take this as an insult, but I think it's your attitude. After reading through several of your threads/posts over the past few months, you typically come across as abrasive and overly cynical. In that, I mean someone will tell you something or offer advice, and you'll just argue with them and claim that they are wrong no matter what.

I realize sometimes who we are on some annonymous forum is not who we are in real life. Do you feel that you come across the same way in person (sort of down in the dumps, negative)?

To be honest, I thought you were much younger than 23 going by your past posts. I'm just about to be 26 here in a few weeks, and you and I are a great distance apart in terms of maturity and having your life in order. Again, that is only going by your post history. You may be a very upbeat, positive young man in real life with a lot of good things going on. So please forgive me if I have deduced the incorrect assesment about who you really are in person.

How do your friends typically view you? Have you ever been criticized for being too negative? If so, perhaps you need to adjust your personality and how you're coming across to people. That may make a world of difference when you're out there applying for work.

Good luck!

Old 10-05-2011, 11:21 PM

820 posts, read 1,617,057 times
Quote:
so what should I do about my unemployment situation? am I doomed?
I would move to a place that has more opportunities.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
OP, don't take this as an insult, but I think it's your attitude. After reading through several of your threads/posts over the past few months, you typically come across as abrasive and overly cynical. In that, I mean someone will tell you something or offer advice, and you'll just argue with them and claim that they are wrong no matter what.

I realize sometimes who we are on some annonymous forum is not who we are in real life. Do you feel that you come across the same way in person (sort of down in the dumps, negative)?

To be honest, I thought you were much younger than 23 going by your past posts. I'm just about to be 26 here in a few weeks, and you and I are a great distance apart in terms of maturity and having your life in order. Again, that is only going by your post history. You may be a very upbeat, positive young man in real life with a lot of good things going on. So please forgive me if I have deduced the incorrect assesment about who you really are in person.

How do your friends typically view you? Have you ever been criticized for being too negative? If so, perhaps you need to adjust your personality and how you're coming across to people. That may make a world of difference when you're out there applying for work.

Good luck!
So are you saying people have a 6th sense for being able to tell if a person has a negative attitude even if they do not say anything? My friends view me as nice and friendly, i treat others with respect but never up to the point in which i let them walk over me, take advantage of me, as in I don't do things for people just so they will like me, I already learned a very long time ago you can't please everybody, i don't consider myself a people-pleaser
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search