U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 08:51 PM

15,560 posts, read 21,594,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
i don't consider myself a people-pleaser
That's a noble attitude -- but, to succeed in the business world, you need to be able to please whoever reads your resume, whoever interviews you and whoever hires you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 04:23 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 53,496,089 times
Quote:
different things, sorry I could not fit everything on the title, yes I've been struggling to get a job, although lately I had my first job interview in a very long time recently, like 3 weeks ago at Albertson's, the Grocery store, but I did not get hired, I called them and they told me that everyone who got interviews did not get hired because the strike did not end up happening. Anyway, yes I will be honest that I am inexperienced, I have been unemployed since October 2007, and I will be honest that I have stood in the way of me getting a job because I have gotten very pissed off, tired and frustrated of applying at so many places and not getting a phone call back, not getting any kind of response back, as in no interview, and not getting hired, so it has been me being passive but lately since the Month of May of this year I've been Volunteering to gain references, taking charge and initiative for my life. But anyway, what I find to be very unfair is that employers want you to have experience but how do you gain experience if nobody will give you a chance? there is always a first time for everything in life.
Also, these are entry-level jobs I have been applying at, places such as grocery stores, fast-food places such as McDonalds, In-N-Out, Burger King, etc. Movie Theaters, Clothing Stores, Retail, customer-service jobs, and I can't even get an interview from those places, let alone getting hired.
Because you have to know to work at those type of jobs. Just because they are low paying jobs doesn't mean that you would get called back right away. The only reason I got hired at a supermarket is because my aunt was already working there as a cashier.

Some of the people I see working at Mcdonald's I can tell by looking at them they are only there because they knew somebody.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:38 PM

1,198 posts, read 2,142,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Because you have to know to work at those type of jobs. Just because they are low paying jobs doesn't mean that you would get called back right away. The only reason I got hired at a supermarket is because my aunt was already working there as a cashier.

Some of the people I see working at Mcdonald's I can tell by looking at them they are only there because they knew somebody.
yeah but there is always a first time for everything, how do you gain experience if nobody will give you a chance?

Old 10-08-2011, 04:41 PM
FBJ

Quote:
yeah but there is always a first time for everything, how do you gain experience if nobody will give you a chance?
I agree with you, the only thing that comes to mind is creating networking. Just figure out ways of getting a job without applying for one.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:48 AM

8 posts, read 39,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
It's too bad there are so many illegals living in so cal, I guarantee you're competing with them for these jobs.
Not just the illegals, OP. There are people on this board in the exact same unemployment boat as you are, only they are much older, some over 50. These are skilled, educated people that have families to support. This economy is so bad that this demographic is looking for work in the same places you are, and still can't get hired because they're older or have been unemployed too long. Even with your situation, because you are only 23, you have an advantage over the worker I just described. It's a desperate situation for many people out here, and desperation creates apathy for a situation like yours. This is why you're not getting much response. This goes double if you're still living at home, which I suspect you are. Your situation just isn't as desperate as other's out here. Zaj2 was being a smart ass about it when it posted that you'll get hired again if you're young and attractive, but the sentiment is the same.

My advice? Stay in college. You're just 23. Start looking for jobs that won't conflict with your school schedule. Be honest and upfront about the hours that you can work, but be tactful about it. If a job tells you their schedule is flexible, move on, because that will be problematic.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
I agree with you, the only thing that comes to mind is creating networking. Just figure out ways of getting a job without applying for one.
and specifically how does networking increase a person's chances of getting hired? what is networking when it comes to employment? that you have to have social connections to people that work there?

Old 10-09-2011, 04:42 PM
FBJ

Quote:
and specifically how does networking increase a person's chances of getting hired? what is networking when it comes to employment? that you have to have social connections to people that work there?
yup knowing someone who works there or knowing someone who knows someone who works there.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
yup knowing someone who works there or knowing someone who knows someone who works there.
yeah, so I guess I should not mention Disneyland on any employment applications

Old 10-09-2011, 05:08 PM
FBJ

Quote:
yeah, so I guess I should not mention Disneyland on any employment applications
disneyland?????

Old 10-11-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
disneyland?????
yeah thats where I used to work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search