U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 07:23 PM

1,198 posts, read 2,136,897 times

Advertisements

well great news, I have a Job Interview tomorrow at Target, and I did not write down Disneyland on the application
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 10:48 AM

126 posts, read 236,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
well great news, I have a Job Interview tomorrow at Target, and I did not write down Disneyland on the application
How did it go?

Old 10-19-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldblum57 View Post
How did it go?
well so far i feel like i am being teased and lead on, i techincally got hired but my drug test results have not gone through yet so it is delaying my orientation

Old 10-23-2011, 09:20 PM

i did not write down Disneyland on my job application for Target, can Target find out that I worked at Disneyland through a background check?

Old 10-27-2011, 12:22 PM

640 posts, read 1,134,587 times
Dang dude, I'm in the same situation (minus the getting fired part). I have a clean record but I have limited work history at age 20 (2 short jobs, hs graduate). I don't think it's THAT big of a deal as some of the nerdtrons here make it out to be. You're definetly competing with seniors, college grads and illegals. I interviewed at a retail store and the hiring manager seemed to like me but the actual manager was somewhat distant towards me when I told her I never worked at a retail store before, but I did have experience in shipping/recieving and stockroom inventory type stuff. I don't think you need much experience to do a job like that right? If it was a real job and they have you on record with your SS number and you paid taxes they can find out you worked there by doing a background check.

Now I'm playing the waiting game after getting jerked around twice post-interview. All I can do is call every week and see what the next excuse is. After this it's back to the depths of hopelessness and despair.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:14 PM

3,879 posts, read 7,676,020 times
You may have to be more creative about filling that huge gap in your resume. You mentioned volunteer work, did you add that to your resume? If its old, you need to do more. Anything with viable skills that you can add and make yourself more marketable.

Is your resume precise, clean, neat and professional? When you fill out questionnaires do you properly punctuate and write in coherent sentences? When you lack work experience, everything else, which is your full presentation of yourself needs to be tight.

Are you still in school? If so, check out on-campus jobs. What about school activities? Anything that sures organization or leadership skills.

You need to pad your resume with as much info as possible so you look like a great candidate.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:21 AM

1,378 posts, read 3,972,750 times
Quote:
well so far i feel like i am being teased and lead on, i techincally got hired but my drug test results have not gone through yet so it is delaying my orientation
If they are paying for you to take a drug test I'd say you are likely to get the job, unless you are a pot head.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
If they are paying for you to take a drug test I'd say you are likely to get the job, unless you are a pot head.
WELL GOOD NEWS, I FINALLY GOT A JOB NOW!!!!!!, got hired at Target and I passed the Drug Test and Background Check, i put the good news thread in the the other Employment section

Old 11-01-2011, 10:05 PM

4,279 posts, read 5,462,649 times
Quote:
different things, sorry I could not fit everything on the title, yes I've been struggling to get a job, although lately I had my first job interview in a very long time recently, like 3 weeks ago at Albertson's, the Grocery store, but I did not get hired, I called them and they told me that everyone who got interviews did not get hired because the strike did not end up happening. Anyway, yes I will be honest that I am inexperienced, I have been unemployed since October 2007, and I will be honest that I have stood in the way of me getting a job because I have gotten very pissed off, tired and frustrated of applying at so many places and not getting a phone call back, not getting any kind of response back, as in no interview, and not getting hired, so it has been me being passive but lately since the Month of May of this year I've been Volunteering to gain references, taking charge and initiative for my life. But anyway, what I find to be very unfair is that employers want you to have experience but how do you gain experience if nobody will give you a chance? there is always a first time for everything in life.
Also, these are entry-level jobs I have been applying at, places such as grocery stores, fast-food places such as McDonalds, In-N-Out, Burger King, etc. Movie Theaters, Clothing Stores, Retail, customer-service jobs, and I can't even get an interview from those places, let alone getting hired.
It's the area. We live in the Inland Empire, which is way worse than where you are and can't get jobs. Well, my husband can get part-time jobs, but I can't seem to get anything. Neither one of us can get anything full-time. We would move, but we have a lease and not enough money to start anew somewhere else.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:40 AM

4 posts, read 3,576 times
Leave California if you ever want to work again.
The most liberal state? Not when it comes to hiring workers over the age of 30.
Discrimination, ageism, and complete dare I say it plain snobs. So many people still want to move to CA they have the pick of the cream from the rest of the country ie: age 30 grad school from ivy league without previous work experience get them cheap and educated.
NYC has a lot of work as does Chicago, Florida and Massachusetts pay is good, and people out this way are actually friendly...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search