U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2011, 07:53 PM

4 posts, read 13,748 times

Advertisements

Employee background check refers to a comprehensive checking and cross-checking of facts and personal information pertaining to the information that is furnished by the job seeker at the time of hiring.

The process of employee background check may involve checking and verifying the employee’s address, education, previous employer and whether or not there is any kind of previous criminal record etc.

Growing concerns that reinforce an employee background check

With growing incidents of workplace violence and data theft, the importance of employee background check cannot be underestimated. This has become a powerful tool in pre-employment verification as a number of CVs are populated with inaccuracies and misleading facts on competencies or job history.

The practice of carrying out stringent, employee background checks will help companies, corporate and organizations to evaluate whether the prospective employee is honest or not.

Reasons for conducting an employee background check

Employee background checks are considered essential for current and prospective employees due to several reasons. One reason is that employers do not want to hire any employee who may have a suspicious background, criminal record, or issues relating to credit worthiness. This would reflect badly on a company’s repute and credibility in the market.

SBCS
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 08:18 PM

4,797 posts, read 5,513,320 times
Does a background check show ONLY the prespecive employee's information or would information come up about a spouse, given the last name and the address being the same?

Old 10-12-2011, 08:06 AM

10,339 posts, read 16,294,122 times
They will look at your credit, driving record, criminal record if it exists, online postings if they can identify and access them, and check your references and past supervisors. They wont get anything from your spouse as they are not even authorized to run a check on him/her.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:54 AM
YAZ

7,342 posts, read 13,209,849 times
Some years ago, I listed an employer on my application with the dates of employment.

I started with that company in August as a temp, and was hired on permanently in November of that year.

I stated that I started in August, and the background check found:

November.

They caught it and I had to explain myself.

Not a deal breaker, thank goodness.

I know a gal who really liked her marijuana. Legal or not, she decided it was her decision to smoke the banned stuff. She had started the application process and knew that she would have to pass a drug screen to get hired.

She did her research and found that a urinalysis could detect pot 1 -2 weeks after use. She quit the stuff for a month to be sure.

Offer letter signed, starting date confirmed, etc.

Off to the drug testing lab.....

They took a hair sample.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:01 AM

525 posts, read 854,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Some years ago, I listed an employer on my application with the dates of employment.

I started with that company in August as a temp, and was hired on permanently in November of that year.

I stated that I started in August, and the background check found:

November.

They caught it and I had to explain myself.

Not a deal breaker, thank goodness.

I know a gal who really liked her marijuana. Legal or not, she decided it was her decision to smoke the banned stuff. She had started the application process and knew that she would have to pass a drug screen to get hired.

She did her research and found that a urinalysis could detect pot 1 -2 weeks after use. She quit the stuff for a month to be sure.

Offer letter signed, starting date confirmed, etc.

Off to the drug testing lab.....

They took a hair sample.

a hair sample , I would tell them to stick it even if I was clean. What if you had a prescription 5 mths earlier and it was an opiate then you would have to prove that you had a prescription, no way.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:05 AM
YAZ

7,342 posts, read 13,209,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heetseeker View Post
a hair sample , I would tell them to stick it even if I was clean. What if you had a prescription 5 mths earlier and it was an opiate then you would have to prove that you had a prescription, no way.
Good point.

What if you forgot about the Vicadin your Dentist gave you after that root canal 3 years ago?

Legal issues aside, if I had an inkling that I MIGHT fail a drug test, I wouldn't submit to one. One never knows when or where those results may pop up again.....

Last edited by YAZ; 10-12-2011 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: add

Old 10-17-2011, 07:53 PM

181 posts, read 292,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsteele View Post
Employee background check refers to a comprehensive checking and cross-checking of facts and personal information pertaining to the information that is furnished by the job seeker at the time of hiring.

The process of employee background check may involve checking and verifying the employee’s address, education, previous employer and whether or not there is any kind of previous criminal record etc.

With growing incidents of workplace violence and data theft, the importance of employee background check cannot be underestimated. This has become a powerful tool in pre-employment verification as a number of CVs are populated with inaccuracies and misleading facts on competencies or job history.

The practice of carrying out stringent, employee background checks will help companies, corporate and organizations to evaluate whether the prospective employee is honest or not.

Employee background checks are considered essential for current and prospective employees due to several reasons. One reason is that employers do not want to hire any employee who may have a suspicious background, criminal record, or issues relating to credit worthiness. This would reflect badly on a company’s repute and credibility in the market.

SBCS
What a bunch of garbage. All that info is used against employees if thier boss don't like the way they part thier hair.A criminal back ground check pretty much tells how honest people are, no arrest no theft, and it is no ones business if someone runs in to hard times and can't pay there bills, just keep them working so they can. I'm old enough to remember when you told a guy what experience you have shake hands and go to work, but I'm not stupid enough to think you can still do things that way. If you hire someone, inside a week you will know what you have.

Last edited by antiunion; 10-17-2011 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: need to add

Old 10-17-2011, 08:12 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,016,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsteele View Post

SBCS
Whatever.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:52 PM

6,986 posts, read 12,119,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
They took a hair sample.

Didn't she have a wig handy?

What if the applicant was bald? These types of requirements seem over the top to me.

99.99% of the undesirable traits or habits or personality flaws a professional has is not likely to show up on a background check. So, I do not believe, not for a second that other than verifying a few things like previous employments and educations, it is a waste of time and money.

I think the best practice, better than any background/credit check, would be to hire all employees with a 60 or 90 day probation period, kind of like 60/90-day temp-to-hire and like antiunion said, probably much sooner than 90 or even 60 days, you would know what kind of a person/worker you got and letting them go without any legal hassles would be much easier and cheaper than wasting time and money on background/checks, etc. and unfairly disqualifying otherwise decent and talented individuals.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:01 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
39,378 posts, read 70,649,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiunion View Post
What a bunch of garbage. All that info is used against employees if thier boss don't like the way they part thier hair.A criminal back ground check pretty much tells how honest people are, no arrest no theft, and it is no ones business if someone runs in to hard times and can't pay there bills, just keep them working so they can. I'm old enough to remember when you told a guy what experience you have shake hands and go to work, but I'm not stupid enough to think you can still do things that way. If you hire someone, inside a week you will know what you have.
The difference now is that when you get several hundred applicants for one job opening, background checks are a cheap way to reduce that number to something more manageable. Credit checks are important to hiring people in financial positions where temptation could exist, but it's easier to just do it for all applicants. The really unfortunate result is that people looking for a job because they got laid off are not likely to have perfect credit anymore with a big house payment and only unemployment income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search