U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 17,154 times

Advertisements

Is it ever okay to omit a job from your resume. I worked at a job for four years that I left four months ago for what I thought would be a more challenging upwardly mobile opportunity. Unfortunately the work was less challenging and I was reporting to an inexperienced condescending micromanager from hell. It reached a point when I was cringing when I saw him coming or heard his voice nearing. Stressed out and suffering from extreme anxiety I quit without having another job lined up. Now I have to look for work. Do I just leave this bad experience off the resume. How can I explain that I left after just four months without having anything else lined up? The other concern is that this most recent job paid a lot more than the one that i had for four years. Knowing that employers base your pay on what you previously made leaving the most recent job on would put me at a higher salary but the short term may keep me off employers raider... Any professional advice would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 01:58 PM

3,279 posts, read 7,109,363 times
If it was just for four months, I'd leave it off and say you were traveling or taking care of a sick relative.

Don't worry about what the last job paid. They don't really base your salary off what you were paid before, at least not in my experience.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:24 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,930,199 times
It is a case by case basis. Usually if the job is not relevant to the job you are applying to then it is okay to leave the job off your resume. It becomes murky when it comes to the job application though. For that you should list every job you were in although many people do not list every job they worked in (they usually only verify up to the last 7-10 years anyways). Although some employers (very rarely) employ vigorous background checks in which they check payroll taxes so that they can see your full employment history. If this happens then you will get in trouble for lying to the employer.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:31 PM

31,375 posts, read 69,765,043 times
if there's only one gap like that don't sweat it too much.
but still, I'd use a vague term like "temping in industry X"

hth

Old 10-15-2011, 06:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,062 posts, read 61,944,958 times
We don't care or ask how much you made before, as we have set salary ranges for each position. We also wouldn't ask questions about a gap in
the work history, but if you didn't explain it, we'd assume you were not working for 4 years and that raises a red flag. Most people that have a good reason would mention it in the interview, but you might not get one with a gap that size and recent.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:20 PM

16,304 posts, read 14,338,283 times
Correct me if I am wrong but won't "not" putting a job on your resume raise a red flag, when they do the background/credit check and that job shows up on the report?

Old 10-15-2011, 09:48 PM

147 posts, read 289,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but won't "not" putting a job on your resume raise a red flag, when they do the background/credit check and that job shows up on the report?
My answer to that: it's a "functional" resume

Old 10-17-2011, 08:53 AM

456 posts, read 1,225,090 times
Did you give them ---the 4 month job--- notice or just not show up? Quitting without another is not the concern, more how you handled your departure. If this applies to the current field you want, you would to include it to show "progression," at least in terms of pay. This is not important to all companies but can show increasing responsibility. If you gave notice, it was a "mutually agreed upon" separation. It is good to show recent work even if uncomfortable.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:11 AM

404 posts, read 1,056,212 times
It's ok to omit a job from your resume but 4 years is a long time period to omit. You dont have to list why you left on your resume. Just list your duties and leave it at that. If you get an interview and someone asks you why you left, then you explain. But dont sh*t talk about your former employer.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:27 PM

16,377 posts, read 27,220,687 times
yes, it is ok to leave it off. A resume is not a legal documentation that will get you jailed, it is just another human being looking at it.

please, people make such crimes of resumes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search