Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 10:14 PM

11 posts, read 12,737 times

Advertisements

I recently came from a very expensive research internships overseas (occupational psychology), and found myself too broke to be able to pursue graduate programs, as well as not having the necessary skills for purely theoretical research.

I have two years of experience in research labs, which I eventually entered into a supervisory position for, and did things such as submit budget proposals and write reports. Solid GPA (3.84) from a reputable University of California. But in the real world, my experience is just retail.

My question is, what do I transition to? I've started off on a career path that I can't pursue due to practical concerns. I would eventually like to continue on and get an MA in something like forensic psychology, but I need a full time job until I have the financial means for that.

I've so far had no success in applying to office admin jobs, although my attempts have been limited. I'm on the verge of pursuing warehouse work or applying to an electrician apprentice program, but first I want to see if anyone has ideas that would keep me out of the environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 10:17 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,843 times
I guess you can go work at McDonalds. They'll probably take you.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I guess you can go work at McDonalds. They'll probably take you.
I don't know whether this was sarcasm or not, but I already have a retail position. I need something that will pay the bills, though.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:38 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimyr View Post
I recently came from a very expensive research internships overseas (occupational psychology), and found myself too broke to be able to pursue graduate programs, as well as not having the necessary skills for purely theoretical research.

I have two years of experience in research labs, which I eventually entered into a supervisory position for, and did things such as submit budget proposals and write reports. Solid GPA (3.84) from a reputable University of California. But in the real world, my experience is just retail.

My question is, what do I transition to? I've started off on a career path that I can't pursue due to practical concerns. I would eventually like to continue on and get an MA in something like forensic psychology, but I need a full time job until I have the financial means for that.

I've so far had no success in applying to office admin jobs, although my attempts have been limited. I'm on the verge of pursuing warehouse work or applying to an electrician apprentice program, but first I want to see if anyone has ideas that would keep me out of the environment.
What were your career intentions when you started undergrad?

Old 11-24-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What were your career intentions when you started undergrad?
Occupational psychology, such as personnel selection or executive training. I would also have been qualified to go into a track for forensic psychology, such as screening prisoners for whether or not they're able to go on parole. The problem is that both positions require at least a Masters to even consider.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:49 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
In all seriousness there are not a huge range of great options for someone that attempts to pursue specialized degree path and then stalls out.

Especially because so many of the kinds of positions you would like to pursue are geared to government funded roles I would hesitate to recommend staying on that path with so many states and the Feds cutting back.

Even if you had a desire to do something for a private sector employer, like HR related work, the dearth of hiring would put you at a disadvantage.

I know that some folks do take lower level jobs in things like public safety dispatch or campus security to get an in and the good benefits that come with such positions. Not saying they are easy to come by but maybe something along those lines might come through.

I also know a few folks that majored in psychology and due to circumstances got jobs in sales. Their ability to quickly assess the "motivators" of customers has helped them to be top performers. Granted you also need a lot of personal drive and a personality that can handle lots of "slammed doors" but if you can get started in such a field (which is often an easier route than other avenues...) and then save up the money to give you the freedom to either pursue your ultimate goal or decide that the reward of the position are sufficient to drive you to advance that is far better than plugging away at something that neither uses any of your talents nor rewards efforts beyond the minimum....

I have seen lots of people spend too long in retail positions that are, by their very nature, not designed to bring much income or fulfillment. That is far worse than attempting to pursue something that can be part of a broader plan.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:31 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
School/career counselor or adoption case worker could utilize your psychology background. Office management and administrative positions usually prefer a degree of some kind but can be in any subject, and will usually pay more than retail.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:51 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
In what did you exactly major in? Industrial/Organizational Psychology applies to human resources, but at least a master's degree is preferred. I don't know if you majored in occupational psychology or if that major even exists, but that would probably apply to occupational safety jobs. I've seen some occupation safety openings asking for psychology degrees. Anyone who has studied forensic, general, clinical, or counseling psychology could work in social services in or outside of criminal justice; but those jobs aren't easy to come by. While I/O psychology is not as interesting as forensic psychology, I/O psychologists make a lot more money and have a lot more opportunity. Those with master's degrees in forensic psychology will have to compete with licensed psychologists with Phds/PsyDs. Actually, anyone with a clinical/counseling doctorate's in psychology can be a forensic psychologist by concentrating in it during their studies, doing their research in it, or working in a CJ setting for their clinical rotation/residency. Forensic psychology is a very limiting degree because most forensic psychology programs aren't meant to prepare you for counseling/mental health licensure at the master's level or psychology licensure at the doctoral level.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
In what did you exactly major in? Industrial/Organizational Psychology applies to human resources, but at least a master's degree is preferred. I don't know if you majored in occupational psychology or if that major even exists, but that would probably apply to occupational safety jobs. I've seen some occupation safety openings asking for psychology degrees. Anyone who has studied forensic, general, clinical, or counseling psychology could work in social services in or outside of criminal justice; but those jobs aren't easy to come by. While I/O psychology is not as interesting as forensic psychology, I/O psychologists make a lot more money and have a lot more opportunity. Those with master's degrees in forensic psychology will have to compete with licensed psychologists with Phds/PsyDs. Actually, anyone with a clinical/counseling doctorate's in psychology can be a forensic psychologist by concentrating in it during their studies, doing their research in it, or working in a CJ setting for their clinical rotation/residency. Forensic psychology is a very limiting degree because most forensic psychology programs aren't meant to prepare you for counseling/mental health licensure at the master's level or psychology licensure at the doctoral level.
I majored in general psychology; my university didn't offer anything in applied psychology, unfortunately. I honestly don't have the money to pursue graduate school right now, which is why I'm thinking of going into an electrician apprenticeship program.

Also, does anyone have experience with JobCorps? I'm not seeing any downsides on their website, but then again, you never do.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:12 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default JobCorps can be a nice leg-up...

I assume you mean working for JobCorps, as it is geared to helping those who have not completed high school / choose to get some technical training instead of college.

They need a small number of administrative / counselor type positions, and it probably is better than retail as far as least helping you develop some skills in dealing with bureaucracy.

The actual number of opening nationwide is quite small...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimyr View Post
I majored in general psychology; my university didn't offer anything in applied psychology, unfortunately. I honestly don't have the money to pursue graduate school right now, which is why I'm thinking of going into an electrician apprenticeship program.

Also, does anyone have experience with JobCorps? I'm not seeing any downsides on their website, but then again, you never do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search