Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 10:18 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,362,804 times

Advertisements

If a friend of mine was applying for a job with my company and asked my opinion, I'd tell him exactly what I thought about them, good and bad.

If my company asked me to talk to potential employees I didn't know, I'd toe the party line. They aren't going to let you talk to someone who'd badmouth the company anymore than you list your worst enemy as a reference.

You are certainly witihn your right to ask the interviewer to talk to employees about the company. With 10% unemployment, they will likely say no and toss your resume in the trash and hire the next guy on the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 06:19 AM

379 posts, read 813,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
have you considered how to implement such a plan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash potato View Post
for anyone else who might want to also address the need for what I'm proposing or perhaps even have an idea about making it an accepted regular practice.
Quote:
you could certainly create a website such as you mentioned .
Actually, that idea was from poster 313weather! The only issue I see with that is the whole world would see it and that would be a negative side effect that was unintended. It certainly is a good idea though.
Quote:
Taking it to the government level would of course entail much more work. I imagine the first step might be to put all your thoughts into a presentable format (like a formal Business Plan) and then feel out your state labor representatives to win their support. The next step I suppose would be to enlist the support of your state Senator in order to bring it to the House.
Those are very good ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
If a friend of mine was applying for a job with my company and asked my opinion, I'd tell him exactly what I thought about them, good and bad.
Yes, you would because you would have no reason to fear for your job if you did have something negative to say.
Quote:
If my company asked me to talk to potential employees I didn't know, I'd toe the party line.
So would I!
Quote:
They aren't going to let you talk to someone who'd badmouth the company anymore than you list your worst enemy as a reference.
I'm not taking about references, I'm talking about calling an employer's previous employees. Which would be the same as employers calling the list of employers on an applicants resume or job application. That's the difference.
Quote:
With 10% unemployment, they will likely say no and toss your resume in the trash and hire the next guy on the list.
Because they have that right at this point in time. That should be changed. Women weren't always able to vote. Someone thought that needed to change, and it did!

Last edited by mash potato; 11-23-2011 at 06:33 AM..

Old 11-23-2011, 06:33 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,324 times
Quote:
I'd like to see the employer list of past employees become a requirement regardless of who needs who! There's a lot of requirements in existence right now, what's one more badly needed one?

Then someone should also create a website where employers can post about their previous employees! One little problem with this is that it all becomes public. Whereas a phone call is private. I appreciate the idea though.
Huh no?

Because as I said before I would NEVER allow my name to be on a published list used by employer or previous employer. There are smattering of privacy issues there. And this goes for employers that I have loved and enjoyed working for in my career.

If you are so uber intersted-- use Linkedin-- you can find employees that way.. those who publish their profiles publicly.

Get off of your tail and find the info yourself. It is really simple.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
Because as I said before I would NEVER allow my name to be on a published list used by employer or previous employer.
How about if your name became just a number for privacy reasons?

Quote:
There are smattering of privacy issues there.
What, and the employee loses all privacy when they work for someone? Is that not a two way street?

Quote:
If you are so uber intersted-- use Linkedin-- you can find employees that way.
Let's let employees hunt and peck over there on linkedin too! They get no contact information from employees, but can only go to linked in and hope to find what they're looking for.

Quote:
those who publish their profiles publicly.
Not everyone has time to establish a linked in profile or maybe they don't have internet.

Quote:
find the info yourself...
...Employers !

Old 11-23-2011, 06:41 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Actually, that idea was from poster 313weather! The only issue I see with that is the whole world would see it and that would be a negative side effect that was unintended. It certainly is a good idea though.

Those are very good ideas!
Well then, go to it and get the ball rolling. Who knows, in a few years time there may well be a new employee act on the books which will be known as the "Mash Potato U.S. Employee Act # ****".

Old 11-23-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
in a few years time there may well be a new employee act on the books which will be known as the "Mash Potato U.S. Employee Act # ****".
Props to you on the naming of the bill!

Old 11-23-2011, 02:15 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,533 times
Quote:
Potential employers certainly check potential employees' stories by calling their past employers. Shouldn't it work both ways? Shouldn't a potential employee check potential employers' stories by calling past employees?
Glassdoor.com

Old 11-25-2011, 10:34 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
IOne little problem with this is that it all becomes public.
Ummm, that's the point.

Quote:
Whereas a phone call is private.
There's nothing private about sharing an employee's personal information with a third party.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:37 AM

421 posts, read 2,534,307 times
I said that to my board of directors one time and they looked at me like I was weird. They for some reason felt that it wasn't necessary and how dare you ask us that, blah blah blah. Yep, it does work both ways and some businesses will find out the hard way soon enough.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Let's let employees hunt and peck over there on linkedin too!
That should be employers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
that's the point.
Then I'm looking at it differently than you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
There's nothing private about sharing an employee's personal information with a third party.
Who would the third party be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmiley06 View Post
I said that to my board of directors one time and they looked at me like I was weird. They for some reason felt that it wasn't necessary and how dare you ask us that, blah blah blah. Yep, it does work both ways and some businesses will find out the hard way soon enough.
Wait, which comment or question were you responding to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search