U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 08:10 AM

3,750 posts, read 8,782,651 times

Advertisements

Trying to help my wife scrub up her resume and having a tough time getting it down to one page. Attempting to turn a 3 page academic CV into a real world resume. Is having a 2 page resume a bad thing if you are looking for a program coordinator/director job at a non-profit or something affiliated with a hospital? I know some of the places she will be applying probably have resume scanning programs read the resume before it gets the HR department. Do those programs ding you for 2 page resumes?

My background is in sales and sales management and I was always told to keep a resume to one page and use the cover letter to go into details. So I want to know that I am giving my wife good advice about the length of a resume.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 08:21 AM

24,669 posts, read 66,982,287 times
I could well be wrong as I'm a bit old-school where this sort of thing is concerned but I'd suggest whittling it down to one page and then in the cover letter note that a more detailed resumé is available upon request. When I've been hiring I've found it so much easier to have something in front of me I can quickly and easily read without ploughing through a lot of tedious details which I'd be more than happy to look over later on if I decide to put that applicant on a short list.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:30 AM

10,339 posts, read 16,469,959 times
I use two but make sure the most important stuff is on the first page. The second page gives more detail on stuff like education, coursework and awards, list of techniques I am familiar with etc. that are summarized on the first page.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:42 AM

33,002 posts, read 77,510,542 times
A resume can be (and should be) as long as is needed to show every pertinent detail.
An especially long resume warrants a recap page.

A *cover letter* on the other hand (and what I suspect this is about) should be brief.
One page is usually more than enough with a recap listing attached.

Do NOT make the mistake of using the cover letter to describe detail in the resume.
It should be personal and even conversational... not a laundry list

hth

Old 11-29-2011, 09:44 AM

5,314 posts, read 5,817,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Trying to help my wife scrub up her resume and having a tough time getting it down to one page. Attempting to turn a 3 page academic CV into a real world resume. Is having a 2 page resume a bad thing if you are looking for a program coordinator/director job at a non-profit or something affiliated with a hospital? I know some of the places she will be applying probably have resume scanning programs read the resume before it gets the HR department. Do those programs ding you for 2 page resumes?

My background is in sales and sales management and I was always told to keep a resume to one page and use the cover letter to go into details. So I want to know that I am giving my wife good advice about the length of a resume.
2 pages is fine, but as others have mentioned put the information most relevant to the position on the first page.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:21 AM

3,750 posts, read 8,782,651 times
Thanks for the tips, all of her degrees are eating up almost a quarter of the page. So if I can put education on the second page it opens up the first page for all of her work experience.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:25 AM

4,528 posts, read 7,442,326 times
I use a two page resume and haven't had any negative feedback. In fact, when I sat on an interview panel last year, the position that was available was an intermediate/mid-level position, and most of the resumes were two pages.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:39 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,478,105 times
One page is great for an entry level person.

Everyone I know who is mid level or senior level has 2 pages maximum.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:56 AM

10,339 posts, read 16,469,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Thanks for the tips, all of her degrees are eating up almost a quarter of the page. So if I can put education on the second page it opens up the first page for all of her work experience.
That's what i do I mention the degree on the first page and give details on the second.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:06 PM

11,730 posts, read 21,492,705 times
If she needs two pages, she needs two pages. If the position requires it, don't short-change yourself for brevity. I've looked at director's and VP's resumes that were four to six pages long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search