Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 07:23 AM

62 posts, read 181,117 times

Advertisements

Can anyone lend me their experience on this? I haven't looked into it yet as I'm just considering the possibility.

My concern is, obviously the employer sees all the work history is from a different state. How do you deal with answering that?

Are employers pretty good about understanding the need to do this in order to transition? It would take a little while to get travel set up for an interview and such as well. How has your experience been?

I'm not in management so I would be looking at a middle of the road type job situation. I've been stuck in MI for years, recently completed 2 business degrees and started working on my MBA. There is so little here in the way of work I think it may be time to finally try and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 09:19 AM

334 posts, read 1,151,058 times
Why would an employer care where your previous work history is? Why not just use your home address?

Old 01-04-2012, 05:08 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times
I moved to a new state a year ago and just used my address. I was honest about the fact that I was looking to relocate. Nobody had a problem with it.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:39 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
Forget the PO Box and simply use your address. I would think a potential out of state employer wouldn’t care if you wanted relocate for the job. It shows you’re willing to make a change and looking for improvement over what you have and where you are.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
PO Boxes raise a red flag, use your address and make it clear in the cover letter that you want to relocate there. If they like your qualifications/experience they will do a phone interview and/or pay for you to come out for an interview, but that happens a lot less these days with so many qualified local applicants. If you want to get out you should move then look for a job, just choose a place you would enjoy living, with potential for hiring.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:51 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,480,386 times
I've been writing in my cover letters that I currently live in ____, but am willing to relocate to ______ at my own expense, and that seems to be working pretty well.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:03 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,422,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8pyrz View Post
Can anyone lend me their experience on this? I haven't looked into it yet as I'm just considering the possibility.

My concern is, obviously the employer sees all the work history is from a different state. How do you deal with answering that?

Are employers pretty good about understanding the need to do this in order to transition? It would take a little while to get travel set up for an interview and such as well. How has your experience been?

I'm not in management so I would be looking at a middle of the road type job situation. I've been stuck in MI for years, recently completed 2 business degrees and started working on my MBA. There is so little here in the way of work I think it may be time to finally try and move on.
There is the moving allowance issue when you apply from out of state. In this economy, most employers don't want to have that conversation. You know how it is. Therefore, they will tend to favor local candidates. Heavily.

You can rent mailboxes that provide you with an actual street address, I'm told, rather than a PO Box number. Mail forwarding services also provide an actual street address. To me, this would be preferable to relocating ahead of time, renting while looking, and going through the nightly anxiety of checkbook balancing.

If you go that route, you will want an area code that roughly matches your mailing address. Google Phone can accomplish this, I am told. Alternatively, my son got one of those prepaid phones from a big box store, and he was able to pick his area code. He picked his sister's, as he would rather settle in central VA than in DC when he gets out of the service.

If you have the opportunity, the least stressful alternative would be to camp out on somebody's couch, either physically or virtually, for a couple months while you get your momentum going. This is the golden avenue - a local friend will help you get your search going. Even one friend can introduce you to another, and that is how jobs are gotten these days. If you have a friend in your target area, you are fortunate indeed!

Best of luck to you!

Old 01-06-2012, 02:32 AM

511 posts, read 2,450,385 times
From an ex recruiter:

It would be better to either leave the address blank or buy a private post office box with a street address- like a mailbox etc. Then get a low cost voice mail or Google Voice with the area code of the town you want to move to.

Regardless of the advice of some of the other posters, employers do greatly prefer local candidates so you want to give the impression you have already moved to the community you are living in. If you are still working in your old town make a white lie and say that you have moved there on weekends to join your wife or husband.

Because they won't write you anyway some people use the address of a large high rise apartment complex in the town you want to move to as their new address, just leave off the apartment number.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:50 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
If I saw a resume with a PO Box address I would wonder what the applicant was trying to hide. Just pick an address at an apartment building...they're not going to be sending you anything in the mail anyway.

Last edited by brocco; 01-06-2012 at 07:14 AM..

Old 01-06-2012, 08:57 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
It's an idea, but many hiring managers know that people have P.O. boxes for this reason. You'd probably be better off, along with that, to emphasize how you are willing to relocate if hired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search