Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 11:03 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,898,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinvent01 View Post
More and more references are not being contacted. Employers want them, but it's more of a formality and hold over from long ago. Anymore, they run a BG check on you and call it a day. More and more, companies are hiring 3rd party companies to run checks on you because it protects the employer. If you have a clean BG and your resume looks promising, you will get a call.
I agree. It isn't that 'more and more' employers are asking for character references. The section for character references has been standard on boilerplate job applications since the 1980s at least. The need for job applicants to have arranged character references from among their professional peers is equally as old. Its standard working-world advice that you should have and maintain current relationships with individuals who agree to provide positive references on your behalf, and that are not former employers or relatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 10:57 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,051,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimesub View Post
One time, I sent in a resume to a temp agency. It was for a part-time job working at some booth at a shopping mall.

The agency emailed me back, stating that I needed to submit SIX references...By the way, it did not want me to use a friend as a reference...

I thought that six was too many...I did not follow up with that job...
That's crazy! Who in their right mind would give a temp agency 6 references for a mall job??

I saw a few jobs that wanted 3 personal references and 3 professional references. The jobs were entry-level jobs that required a degree, but not much experience.

I lost one reference by submitting the name to an automated system online, and when they don't fill it out, an automatic email is sent every four days. It turned out that he was sent about 8 emails, before I found out about it.

Now, I am more careful when submitting references.

As for the OP, if you don't have the references, put down family or friends with a different last name than yours. If you leave it blank, you won't be contacted. If you fill in something, you will have a chance.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:13 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,123,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
It looks good on paper to check employee's references, however it is really pointless. Anyone can find someone to give them a good reference or can easily fake it. Also almost no supervisor will risk divulging negative information as they can get sued. Most companies will only give title and dates of employment.
This is very true. But what about a letter of reference from a former employer? This usually is a good thing to have.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:22 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,419,126 times
Be very careful about giving references to temp agencies. They will send the managers especially to to sales dept and generally harass them.

It is really rediculous that temp agencies are demanding references. It used to be the people who took temp jobs didn't have good references and were using the temp job to get some. The whole idea of temp is that is they don't work out you dump them easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search