Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 03:36 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times

Advertisements

Black shirt? No way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrypro View Post
I got into an argument with a pompous friend who used to work for a fortune 100 corporation (not in HR though). He stated that a man should not wear a black shirt with his suit and tie to an interview because the male applicant will come across as a gangster or a Mafia member.

Furthermore, he said if their shoes are somewhat worn out then it means they will wear down and ruin the company and therefore will never get hired. Any thoughts, views, or help with this would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 07:34 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
You know what, I'm a big fan of improvisation. Everyone tries white and blue shirts. If you are confident enough, you can pull a black shirt and clear the interview. You can even go to the interview naked and land the job. Just don't breathe too much into the telephone. Put it on mute if you are peeing or dropping nuggets. People may misinterpret that bluck bluck sound

Old 01-12-2012, 12:18 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,728,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furrypro View Post
I got into an argument with a pompous friend who used to work for a fortune 100 corporation (not in HR though). He stated that a man should not wear a black shirt with his suit and tie to an interview because the male applicant will come across as a gangster or a Mafia member.

Furthermore, he said if their shoes are somewhat worn out then it means they will wear down and ruin the company and therefore will never get hired. Any thoughts, views, or help with this would be great.

The only person who could get a job wearing a black shirt to an interview is Johnny Cash.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:33 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
The only person who could get a job wearing a black shirt to an interview is Johnny Cash.
Remember the bio-pic on him, when they were in the record sales office trying to negotiate a deal and the guy said, "Look at you, you look like you're going to a funeral" and all Cash said all cocky was, "Maybe I am."

Old 01-12-2012, 05:51 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,384,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
You know what, I'm a big fan of improvisation. Everyone tries white and blue shirts. If you are confident enough, you can pull a black shirt and clear the interview. You can even go to the interview naked and land the job. Just don't breathe too much into the telephone. Put it on mute if you are peeing or dropping nuggets. People may misinterpret that bluck bluck sound
That isn't even funny.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:23 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,702,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Black dress shirts are fine if you're going out clubbing. But elsewhere, they usually make the wearer look kind of oily.
Some of us can pull it off a black shirt in a corporate environment and still look good.

I'm wearing one today actually.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:29 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Some of us can pull it off a black shirt in a corporate environment and still look good.

Wearing one to work and wearing one on the interview are two different things.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:46 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,445,334 times
You guys wear suits and shine your shoes for job interviews!? That's interesting!

I just wear blue jeans, my regular (comfy) sneakers, a tee shirt and maybe a light jacket. Also I generally have scruff going on and my hair is curly and possibly shaggy.

But I don't work in business, and I'm in scrubs all the time at work.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:01 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
If you are unsure, don
t wear one. I have only one black shirt for ceremonial occasions.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:26 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post

I used to think like this 5 years ago. But as I'm moving up, I've completely thrown out all darker shirts. It looks odd.

I have a very favourite dark coffee coloured shirt. I've been told it looks good on me, but I haven't worn it in ages now. It's difficult to pull it off any longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search