Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 11:21 AM

48 posts, read 187,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
do you feel like you did ok with the online assessment?

it does seem weird
I don't know. I asked if it was that assessment test but never got an answer. I had never taken one of those before anyway.

I am wondering if I can get a copy of my results?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 11:25 AM

48 posts, read 187,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysPoppins View Post
I would not believe anything I heard at interviews these days.

The guy may have wanted you to think he was a cool guy and in the end if he wanted someone else in the job, you would not blame him but some other powers that be.

I've found that the more you think you aced the interview or the more you want the job the less likely you did or you will get it.

Good luck in something else. I know how heartbreaking the job search process is and hope you find a good job very soon.
I appreciate that very much. I just never had that happen before.

Yes I did get excited about the prospect of the job. Maybe that was my downfall.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:39 AM

370 posts, read 1,365,688 times
I've done it myself, Darkon, many times.

I've already (after an interview) start to plan what I would do with the salary or wondered if I could live on the salary or whether I would be able to do this or that about the job before even getting it. You know, fantasy spinning.

Many other honest people have felt the same, especially after being out of work a long time

You'll get something else. Hang in there.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:42 AM

475 posts, read 1,370,432 times
It's difficult not to be hopeful when one gets a bit of encouragement but I've had similar experiences, including interviews where I was told ahead of time I had the support of a key person. I've also had interviews where I knew 5 minutes in it was not going to happen, which can be even a worse feeling if you spent a lot time preparing. As far as the test goes, you'll never know unless you can find an online example and see what types of answers would raise a red flag. But I wouldn't think it really matters unless you expect to take it again. Some companies interview ahead of budget also, so they spend time preparing only to decide they want to budget for someting else or don't get the budget. I agree with not beating yourself up, take it as a learning experience and move on.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:39 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,132,808 times
Trust me when I say this but it really wasn't you but probably the competition and some stupid internal politics. Your situation happened to me god knows how many times with the hiring manager telling me I was the lead candidate and then saying "we hired someone else". The rest of the posters are right in their assessment of your situation. The fact that you made it to the final round is a good sign and I do think you will land something although yes it is very heartbreaking to have your hopes brought up and then crushed. I personally never understand why the interviewers always mislead us.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:12 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times
Since I've never heard of Hogan Assessment test, I checked their website. They list 4 assessments on their website, all of them 15-30 minutes completion time (they claim).

The Hogan Personality Inventory (HPI) is a measure of normal personality and is used to predict job performance.

The Hogan Development Survey (HDS) identifies personality-based performance risks and derailers of interpersonal behavior.

The Motives, Values, Preferences Inventory (MVPI) is a personality inventory that reveals a person’s core values, goals and interests.

The Hogan Business Reasoning Inventory (HBRI) evaluates a person’s ability to solve problems and make business-related decisions using textual, graphic, and quantitative data.

Hogan Business Reasoning Inventory | Hogan Assessments

I wonder which one did they use?

Old 01-10-2012, 05:16 PM

111 posts, read 173,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
I think either he was bull*&^%g you during the entire process, or - as OP stated - he was outnumbered and they went with another candidate (someone's friend/relative or internal person).

You'll find something else.
Not sure if he was bull****ting since the interview lasted 3 hrs. Either, he found someone else, top management went with someone else, they want to wait for the perfect candidate, or the test scores were subpar.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:37 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman Jr View Post
Not sure if he was bull****ting since the interview lasted 3 hrs. Either, he found someone else, top management went with someone else, they want to wait for the perfect candidate, or the test scores were subpar.
Or they decided not to fill the opening or they put the opening "on hold".

Old 01-10-2012, 09:21 PM

386 posts, read 1,051,914 times
I had so many of those over the year I was unemployed I lost count. I never put my faith in anything, and accepted the job only when I was on day one working there

Old 01-11-2012, 11:12 AM

67 posts, read 394,086 times
Don't feel bad. It could have been any one of the things mentioned by others in this thread.

Feel good that you did your best and its best to just continue to do the best in each of your future interviews.

If the old job thats 50 minutes away is truly interested in rehiring you. I suggest you go for it. The job market is quite tough these days and as you know...A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Congratulations on possibly going back to work for your original company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search