Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 09:06 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,986 times

Advertisements

After the real estate/mortgage collapse, I lied every time I filled out an ap or sent in a resume. Depending on the job I would always tone down my history, such as instead of owning 2 different companies I lied and said I just worked there. Instead of showing my management experience I was sometimes the lowest level employee I could think of, at the time it was the only way to get any kind of interview, plus I was young enough that it was somewhat believable. Occasionally I would have someone actually get a hold of someone who had worked with me and they caught on to the lie, and then I was overqualified and was not someone they wanted to hire anyways. I also had a couple of managers catch on pretty quick that I was considerably higher qualified then they thought, but I never got fired for it.

If I was in the same spot again, I would lie again, my wife and kids needed a roof over their head and food to eat, plus some of the experience I got and people I met an am still friends with today made it all worth it.

The thing is if you are going to lie about your history, you must know enough to actually do the job and cover for your lie. I interviewed a girl that said she was a quickbooks certified instructor, when I asked her to do a couple of complicated transactions on quickbooks she had no idea what she was doing. Fact is I did not need a quickbooks instructor I needed a data entry person, it cost her the job. I would not lie about dates of jobs, or where you worked, but the rest is pretty easy to cover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 09:13 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
If I was in the same spot again, I would lie again, my wife and kids needed a roof over their head and food to eat, plus some of the experience I got and people I met an am still friends with today made it all worth it.

The thing is if you are going to lie about your history, you must know enough to actually do the job and cover for your lie. I interviewed a girl that said she was a quickbooks certified instructor, when I asked her to do a couple of complicated transactions on quickbooks she had no idea what she was doing. Fact is I did not need a quickbooks instructor I needed a data entry person, it cost her the job. I would not lie about dates of jobs, or where you worked, but the rest is pretty easy to cover.

This is my theory too . . .
I always overachieve, ie; apply for jobs that seem over me on paper, but know I will flourish if given the opportunity. Its worked for almost 40 years so far. Experience will always mean more than a certification.
I feel it is most important that I give my employer my best for the time they are paying me for. Any job that is a 'career' job for me, I have done well at and my organization has benefitted from. I think that is more important than anything else after all is said and done
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search