Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 06:44 PM

173 posts, read 352,066 times

Advertisements

It's me again with another pointless rant. Don't worry, I like job searching and working.

I like online applications. In fact, I prefer online applications more than paper applications. But just like going straight to TJ Max and asking for a job application, online applications have some problems.

Crappy coding: Business websites like bonton.com are known to have severe compatibility issues when you are trying to apply. Issues can range from freezing to crashing the entire browser. The main problem is: These stupid corporate agencies won't fix their websites, resulting in a problematic process. We also have some corporates like putting a loading screen on their online applications as if the applicant was supposed to be playing some game. What's wrong with this? Well, if you're using Internet Explorer 9, you can't fill out the application because the online application will remain on that loading screen and will never disappear, even if you clear your cookies or cache.

Timed Assessments: I have only seen these types of assessments once. Timed Assessments only give you a limited amount of time to complete an assessment. That means, if you are doing the assessment, then you better make sure your computer doesn't freeze or your wife wanting you to make dinner. Because once that time hits zero; you are screwed. These are extremely rare, so you might not believe me when you read this.

Unredoable Applications: Let's say the application asks you if you are 16 and over, but you accidentally click 'no' and continue. The application will shout out that you do not meet the minimum qualifications for the job. Why can't we re-do the application or request that the store remove the application from the system? Most applications doesn't even confirm that we are not 16. This includes assessments; make a mistake, you're screwed. There's no way to go back or no way to re-do your application if you made a mistake.

Applications that require irrevelant information: Another thing that makes me have to put false information on my application is that some of these companies likes requiring information that even a qualified candidate doesn't have. For example, the minimum age to work at Sears is 16. BUT, there was a part that asked for my birth date, I put in my REAL birthdate which shows that I am 16 years old but it won't go through; even though I meet the minimum age requirement. I had to say that I am 21 in order for the application to go through. I am 16 years old but if I put May 19 1995, it won't go through! This, so far, only happens when I apply to Pick N Save, K-mart, and Sears.

Having to fill out the same application multiple times: This is my main problem: If I want to apply for three stores, I should only be able to fill out one application. The application will duplicate itself and will be sent to those three stores. Wal-mart, Taco Bell, and KFC is the only businesses that does this. The other businesses require that you fill out seperate applications to each store you want to apply at. So why can't applicants send one application to at least two companies at once?

This is probably going to be my last thread bitching about employment this week, but I'll probably have more threads later on or tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 07:23 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,075,734 times
I applied for a position over 6 months ago and was never contacted...then job posting was removed. Recently I saw the same position, I went to fill out application again, company website said I already applied for the position...like they still have me fresh in their minds..

Old 01-20-2012, 09:28 PM

182 posts, read 610,732 times
Sometimes my browser would timeout when I hit submit and then I would have to redo the whole thing. NOT COOL

Old 01-20-2012, 09:41 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,105,710 times
What I don't like is they just go into a hole somewhere and are never considered.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,085 times
I have filled out several online applications and have all the qualifications to at least get a interview but never get a response. Online apps are a waste of time if you ask me. I prefer paper apps that way I can at least introduce myself to a hiring manager, making a good first impression.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:48 PM

24,488 posts, read 40,994,789 times
Online applications generally provide a HORRIBLE user experience. It's quite unfortunate that employers don't focus on this more.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:52 PM

15,966 posts, read 20,923,733 times
My daughter just got on unemployment and had a backlog of applications to turn in, so she filled out a ton of them online.
I cracked up when she kvetched about having to answer 90+ questions to apply for a minimum wage job selling fish at a fast food place.
Bet a paper app wouldn't be nearly as ridiculously long.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:12 PM

653 posts, read 1,797,364 times
Part of the idea is to cull out those who aren't strongly interested.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:32 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,359,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
^^^ This

I also get tired of hearing about people who say they have all the qualifications, were never called, and because of this the online application is a waste of time. No. Ifg you had all the qualifications and were not called, it is because someone was MORE qualified than you....the problem is YOU and not the online application.

I have gotten my last 3 jobs online. I also am in charge of the online applications at work. There is a "screener" that asks 2 questions on it. The 2 questions are based on the minimum REQUIRED (as stated in the job listing) qualifications. About 65% of my applications have a screener score LESS than 100% (meaning they answered "no" to one of the questions) and these are people who are also submitting cover letters, etc. So, I am guessing they "think" they have the qualifications...or are following some dumb advice they received at one point to just apply and not worry about qualifications. These applications go right into my "not going to happen" folder. They sit there.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:04 PM

24,488 posts, read 40,994,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
The flip side is that you can potentially be filtering out those with the best talent. The primary goal of the hiring process is attracting top talent... the kind of talent that might not be so desperate for a job. How do you win them over with an incredibly tedious process?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search