Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2012, 02:51 PM

828 posts, read 907,408 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

What is the interview process like at very large, very sought-after, prestigious companies?

Are you in the HR department of such a company? What is the pre-hire check process you use? Do you call all previous employers? Also, what if someone has several traffic violations? And what if someone is not rehireable at a certain company?

What is a typical reference check like? Please dish ALL THE DETAILS!

What is the best advice you would give to someone applying to such a company?

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 03:16 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Steps:

Hr prescreens resumes and either reviews w/hiring authority or goes ahead and schedules screening interviews (depends on hiring manager's wishes). Screening is either phone interview or in person.

Candidates invited to company for interview w/HR rep and hiring manager.

Top one or 2 candidates invited back for more interviews (might be with peers to the job, the hiring manager's own boss or any combination)

Candidate(s) advised of status as a "top contender" and references are requested, sometimes the candidate is asked to provide direct phone numbers of prior supervisors, etc. This is the time for the candidate to reveal any issues that might come up during the background research.

Background is researched. Education verified, employment history verified. Often personal references and prior supervisors are called. If company says not eligible for rehire there will be a red flag, especially if candidate hadn't prepared HR for that kind of response. It may end the process if other references are not highly favorable.

Offer is extended, pending satisfactory health assessment.

Candidate goes for physical. Pee test better be clear. Bring any prescriptions with you because they will show up in your urine.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I might add that traffic tickets (driving record) are only considered a problem if the position requires the use of a company car or occasional use of a company pool vehicle. often three personal references are required, non family members that have know you at least 10 years, often in addition to previous supervisors.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:26 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwall View Post
Hi everyone,

What is the interview process like at very large, very sought-after, prestigious companies?

Are you in the HR department of such a company? What is the pre-hire check process you use? Do you call all previous employers? Also, what if someone has several traffic violations? And what if someone is not rehireable at a certain company?

What is a typical reference check like? Please dish ALL THE DETAILS!

What is the best advice you would give to someone applying to such a company?

Thank you so much!
I worked for a large, international, financial services firm.

Checks included: credit check (if you had a certain threshold of bad debt or derogatory credit you would no longer be considered. Also every few years your credit is continued to be checked so if you acquire bad credit you can be fired), comprehensive criminal check ( fingerprinting is also done for an FBI check), drug test, employment verification, and education verification.

References are also called by hiring managers.

For the most part nothing is done until they decide to make you an offer. Some checks take longer and I have seen folks let go in the first week if something did not work out.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:12 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Let's see we do a pre-hire physical, fingerprint, E-verify for all employment, education, licenses, and certifications. An FBI background check, drivers report is included in that, reference check, credit check. If a security clearence is needed a background investigator will personally talk to former employers, neighbors, teachers, references listed.

Not re-hirable from last job? Don't call us, we will send you a denial e mail notification.

Suggestions? If you have a mess, don't hide it, come clean, sometimes postitives out weigh negatives. There have been some people who told me things like their last employer was unethical, or hostile, and the employee left the situation. I actually have an open mind, and have seen some crazy situations. One guy had worked for his ex Father in law, who was now trashing him, to "punish" him for divorcing his daughter.

But if you hide things, I find out, even if you have started work, you will be terminated. One guy said he "forgot" about being dischrged from the Army as "Dishonorable"...he did not think it was an issue...well, he put it on his application, and checked "Honorable" discharge. Idiot. If he had checked "Other" he would have had a chance.

Last edited by jasper12; 01-21-2012 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 01-22-2012, 02:27 PM

134 posts, read 367,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
Also every few years your credit is continued to be checked so if you acquire bad credit you can be fired)
In other words: if you are found to be in need of money, you will not be allowed to make any

Old 01-22-2012, 02:48 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arc212 View Post
In other words: if you are found to be in need of money, you will not be allowed to make any

Well... no, not really.

Also-- my employer does overlook certain medical type defaults with appropriate documentation.

I have a lot of installment debt:

Student loans
Mortgage
Car

I mean-- it is obvious I NEED the money.

But, I have excellent credit.

Many years ago through idiotic mistakes made in college and then when I had a very low income job, I was not fastidious in my finances. It was not just the lack of income or rather the low income-- it was my negligence to manage my finances and what I could afford. I won't even pretend otherwise.

I learned my lesson. It sucked for a good 7 years. I would NOT have loaned myself money back then. And if I were employer where hiring me would give me access to thousands of social security numbers, checking accounts, retirement accounts, bank accounts, wire transfers, and check stock-- I would probably not have hired me back then either! I would have never stolen from an employer or anyone else, but they don't know me from Adam and they could have seen that I was a wreck financially.

I don't blame my employer-- and really it is not just their decision. Every employee is bonded at my employer and it is a requirement for a certain level of risk by the agency that bonds employees.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:21 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
The large prestigious company I work for does a background check, but fortunately they leave the sigmoidoscope on the shelf. Jasper12 and lovetheduns firm's sound rough; I didn't get investigated as much when I did get a clearance job.

My company asked for 3 prior employers, education, and misdemeanors and felonies on the application, and they had a third party background check firm verify the information and do a criminal check. The background check firm couldn't verify one of my employers (because the company had been acquired and the acquiring firm somehow didn't have any of the information. Probably couldn't figure out how to manage the data -- it was Oracle, after all :-) ) so they had me send them a W-2. They didn't ask on the application about eligibility to rehire, so I don't know if it would have been an issue.

No credit check, no fingerprinting, no pee test, certainly no physical (I thought the ADA banned them unless related specifically to job duties?).

Obviously large companies differ.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:18 AM

410 posts, read 1,521,314 times
I have to say that I would not want to work for a company that is as selective as Jasper's. Think about it...no one is perfect, people are not always re-hireable due to company policy, a person's credit should only be a factor if they are going to be working with company funds, and other aspects of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search