Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 05:13 AM

511 posts, read 2,443,240 times

Advertisements

Many job hunting books will tell you to do everything possible to go around those idiots in Human Resources and contact the hiring manager first if you are interested in a job opening. So if you are an Accountant then you should contact the Accounting Manager, if you are in sales, contact the Marketing Director, etc.

Lots of applicants try this and fail! Corporate procedure at most mid sized or large companies is ALL APPLICANTS must apply on line through the formal system administered by Human Resources. Even if you are the best friend of the hiring manager, the company will not accept your application and let you proceed through the process unless you apply on line.

Many times a hiring manager would get a paper resume through the mail or an email who got his or her name and contact information through research and the manager will go to Human Resources and ask them to bring the applicant into the company for interviews and tests. Company procedures will not allow us to do so unless the applicant goes on line and applies through the formal process.

Usually HR will get angry at applicants who tried to work around them and will lose their applications.

Also, Human Resources will not issue a formal offer letter for any applicant who did not apply online through our system. If a manager tries to hire someone who does not apply online Human Resources will not approve the hiring and will not allow the person to be paid.

So, unless it is a small company, be a big boy and apply for jobs through Human Resources just like everyone else!

Last edited by Workaholic?; 01-22-2012 at 05:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 06:09 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,088,478 times
That may be the case where you work, but such is not the case everywhere. I was hired by a Fortune 500 corporation and human resources was the LAST Department I saw AFTER I was hired just to fill out paperwork for my W-2 and health benefits. Same goes with two jobs I had with the government. The one hired me just based on having seen my work I did for someone else, called me and hired me on the spot then sent me to human resources. The other was in the newspaper with submissions to human resoures for a Department directed by a former client of mine. I called him to chat about the job and I quote, "The job is yours if you want it, we still have to go through the motions." Then I submitted everything and got the job.

It's probably not a good idea to give flatline advice across the board as gospel just because it applies to your company. There are way too many variables. I never went through human resources first ever in my life and it resulted in quite a good living.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:41 AM

511 posts, read 2,443,240 times
Default You misunderstood my post

One of the reasons larger companies use the much hated on line applicant system is for legal requirements for affirmative action/EEO. The government requires all employers over a certain size to keep track of applicants by race, sex and vet status. So if an employer allowed rouge managers to work outside the system and hire people who did not apply on line the tracking of applicants would not be complete.

Also HR needs to hold the hand of many hiring managers through the hiring process to see that they don't make any promises they can not keep, ask illegal questions, offer job security and pay the company can not offer, and only hire against formally approved requisitions and use formal offer letters and background check procedures. If a manager at a larger company that has those procedures in place are allowed to hire people who contact them in isolation the company is at risk legally and financially.

This is not just the procedure at the company I work at but most mid sized or large organizations. These are not my rules, I hate online applications myself but understand the logic of having professionals in HR coordinating the hiring process. And I don't believe that HR should make hiring decisions but can add real value at screening out nuts and crazies so the managers time is not wasted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
That may be the case where you work, but such is not the case everywhere. I was hired by a Fortune 500 corporation and human resources was the LAST Department I saw AFTER I was hired just to fill out paperwork for my W-2 and health benefits. Same goes with two jobs I had with the government. The one hired me just based on having seen my work I did for someone else, called me and hired me on the spot then sent me to human resources. The other was in the newspaper with submissions to human resources for a Department directed by a former client of mine. I called him to chat about the job and I quote, "The job is yours if you want it, we still have to go through the motions." Then I submitted everything and got the job.

It's probably not a good idea to give flatline advice across the board as gospel just because it applies to your company. There are way too many variables. I never went through human resources first ever in my life and it resulted in quite a good living.

Last edited by Workaholic?; 01-22-2012 at 07:01 AM..

Old 01-22-2012, 06:43 AM

25,728 posts, read 16,348,964 times
I would rather be unemployed than break any of your rules workahalic.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:47 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,088,478 times
They all knew what they were doing and they were all for very specific jobs where it was the work that spoke for my gender and skin color. I simply was not interviewed by anyone in HR except for the going through the motions one where someone from HR sat in on the interview but said nothing. It was the Director's decisions ultimately not HR. You may have some general advice but it is not gospel and reckless to think you have come up with the last word on hiring tactics. I also have subcontracted work and know that Government departments have an amount they are allowed to spend on services without approval every year and it doesn't have to go to HR or Purchasing. There are so many things available over, under and above the standard HR route. All I'm saying is it's not your way or the highway.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:42 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,837,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
Many job hunting books will tell you to do everything possible to go around those idiots in Human Resources and contact the hiring manager first if you are interested in a job opening. So if you are an Accountant then you should contact the Accounting Manager, if you are in sales, contact the Marketing Director, etc.

Lots of applicants try this and fail! Corporate procedure at most mid sized or large companies is ALL APPLICANTS must apply on line through the formal system administered by Human Resources. Even if you are the best friend of the hiring manager, the company will not accept your application and let you proceed through the process unless you apply on line.

Many times a hiring manager would get a paper resume through the mail or an email who got his or her name and contact information through research and the manager will go to Human Resources and ask them to bring the applicant into the company for interviews and tests. Company procedures will not allow us to do so unless the applicant goes on line and applies through the formal process.

Usually HR will get angry at applicants who tried to work around them and will lose their applications.

Also, Human Resources will not issue a formal offer letter for any applicant who did not apply online through our system. If a manager tries to hire someone who does not apply online Human Resources will not approve the hiring and will not allow the person to be paid.

So, unless it is a small company, be a big boy and apply for jobs through Human Resources just like everyone else!
Why do you keep writing these long winded lectures on this board about how the way you do things or your company does things are universal truths?

The more you write, the less it appears you know. In this case, you just sound like some junior HR assistant who's pissed off because your boss or some other senior person told you to process the offer paperwork for someone even though they didn't go through you first.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:57 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,966,863 times
In my experience Human Resources has always been the last place I have been taken and it has only been to fill out necessary paperwork. If you would ask most of those in Upper Management positions they would tell you (if they are telling the truth) that they do not like Human Resources. Mainly because those in Human Resources "think" their department "makes the last decision" when it comes to hiring someone and that is so far from the truth. Dream on Human Resources, one day your paid positions may actually be justified and possibly classified as something more than a glorified paper pusher who has to spend the extra money on expensive clothing to appear "appropriately professional" at work. Have a nice day.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:35 AM

78 posts, read 375,941 times
Like others, when i got my job i was hired by my current supervisor on the spot since he like me and my resume. Then at the end of the day, we went to HR to file the boring paperwork for payroll

Old 01-22-2012, 08:45 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,098 posts, read 80,155,784 times
It happens both ways, but I would not try to go around HR without prior knowledge from someone else that did it at that particular company. If it does happen to be a company that requires the formal application process you will not be considered. We are one of those where contacting me or another manager will result in being told to apply through the website, and only for openings currently posted.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:13 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,337,551 times
Eh..in my line of work, employees are hired often based on recommendations from other employees within the company. I'm sure prospective employees still go through HR at some point, but often the hiring manager is the first to review these resumes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search