U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 06:31 AM

511 posts, read 2,316,491 times

Advertisements

Many of my job hunting friends are frustrated at the recent requirement at many employers- BEFORE THEY WILL INTERVIEW YOU IN PERSON THEY NEED TO DO A COMPLETE BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION AND PROFESSIONAL REFERENCE CHECK.

The result is their very busy professional references are called multiple times and start to get frustrated.

My job hunting friends hate this requirement because they waste valuable political capital with their professional references and in many cases are not even interested in the job after meeting their potential boss and coworkers, hearing about the position and seeing the offices. So everyones time is wasted.

It just seems more logical to check professional references after an interview and once both parties decide they are very interested. The employers perspective is that time is money and because the cost of outsourced employment background investigation services is way down, it is a better investment to only talk to people who are prechecked.

Have you experienced this in your job search?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 06:43 AM

10,168 posts, read 15,585,552 times
This is common with staffing agencies and some recruiters. They are more interested in getting the names of managers for their sales dept than checking your references. Most companies will only check references after an interview and before an offer.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:58 AM

828 posts, read 804,206 times
How do I feel about it? Candidates should refuse. Politely. Tell the interviewer that you value your references and their time, as they are busy professionals. Tell them you are happy to provide that information as the last stage in the hiring process, or close to the last stage.

You know, it says a lot about the employer if they ask you this. It is not even good practice to have employers who have yet to even narrow down their candidates to take up references' time like that. They are busy too!

I feel strongly about this. I take my references seriously. I line them up early and make 100% sure they are ok with being called. If more applicants refused, perhaps this stupid trend will be less prevalent.

How common is this anyway? I have had this happen to me once, and I obliged. It wasn't even that good a job. I was wrong to oblige.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:05 AM

3,979 posts, read 5,145,063 times
Seriously, I would refuse to do this until the company is ready to consider an offer. This is especially true when your job hunt is a secret from your current employer. I would probably not pursue this job if they demand this type of intrusion before they're ready to make an offer.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:10 AM

10,168 posts, read 15,585,552 times
Most staffing agencies won't work with you if you refuse which frankly is not much of a loss. Businesses will check references as a last step because it costs money (they frequently farm this out to background checking services but if not it takes up HR time).

Old 01-23-2012, 01:26 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,263,207 times
The fact that recruiters and temp agencies hound references is the main reason why I stopped using them a long time ago. Many of them bother refs knowing that they won't offer work to the candidate. They also use refs to solicit business and sell their service to your reference. Seriously not good. I'm not interested in losing my references because of some recruiter/"agent".

Old 01-23-2012, 02:52 PM

538 posts, read 892,043 times
Like others have mentioned, I do not give reference until the very end of the process. I don't want my former co-workers / clients bugged unneccessary by head hunters.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:05 PM

17,816 posts, read 23,344,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwall View Post
How do I feel about it? Candidates should refuse. Politely. Tell the interviewer that you value your references and their time, as they are busy professionals. Tell them you are happy to provide that information as the last stage in the hiring process, or close to the last stage.

You know, it says a lot about the employer if they ask you this. It is not even good practice to have employers who have yet to even narrow down their candidates to take up references' time like that. They are busy too!

I feel strongly about this. I take my references seriously. I line them up early and make 100% sure they are ok with being called. If more applicants refused, perhaps this stupid trend will be less prevalent.

How common is this anyway? I have had this happen to me once, and I obliged. It wasn't even that good a job. I was wrong to oblige.
Exactly. That last thing you want to do is have your references get annoyed by being called too much.

It should be at the end of the interview process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search