Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 11:50 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,312,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
If you get SSDI services, I would look into getting some type of assistance. I worked in special ed. including young adults who were aging out of school services and the higher functioning ones were always assisted with job hunting. Maybe the economy is so bad now that they can help people with mild disabilities anymore. Too bad you don't live in NJ, I know of a grocery store that seems to only hire people with disabilities in all positions, I would send you there.
thats why i recently registered for the Department of Rehabilitation 2 months ago, and lately, i've been going to a Job Placement Agency, Development Center, where they teach people to work on their Resume, Interview Skills, that happens twice a week, so it's not like i have been sitting around doing nothing lately
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 11:50 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
Quote:
If you get SSDI services, I would look into getting some type of assistance. I worked in special ed. including young adults who were aging out of school services and the higher functioning ones were always assisted with job hunting. Maybe the economy is so bad now that they can help people with mild disabilities anymore. Too bad you don't live in NJ, I know of a grocery store that seems to only hire people with disabilities in all positions, I would send you there.
He's been told all this and much more for a very long time now but it's like trying to knock some sense into a large gourd. Posters have tried just about every approach under the sun to get through to him but he just likes to stay in his miserable little skin and pooh-pooh any suggestion which comes his way. It's not his fault, it's the fault of the word because you have to start somewhere and nobody gives him a chance (except the two brief jobs he had before he was let go but they don't count, of course).

Old 04-02-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
He's been told all this and much more for a very long time now but it's like trying to knock some sense into a large gourd. Posters have tried just about every approach under the sun to get through to him but he just likes to stay in his miserable little skin and pooh-pooh any suggestion which comes his way. It's not his fault, it's the fault of the word because you have to start somewhere and nobody gives him a chance (except the two brief jobs he had before he was let go but they don't count, of course).
see, even you admit that, you say everyone has to start somewhere, but even the lowest level paying jobs, minimum wage or lower, still want applicants to have more than a year of experience, even for a stock position, which is something a person can learn within a day or 2, so stupid, retarded.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:58 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
see, even you admit that, you say everyone has to start somewhere, but even the lowest level paying jobs, minimum wage or lower, still want applicants to have more than a year of experience, even for a stock position, which is something a person can learn within a day or 2, so stupid, retarded.
Child, I was paraphrasing your own words, not agreeing with you. If a stock position can be learned in a day or two then how come you couldn't learn it and were canned after a couple of weeks? Your merry go round of excuses are tiresomely repetitive. Bye.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Child, I was paraphrasing your own words, not agreeing with you. If a stock position can be learned in a day or two then how come you couldn't learn it and were canned after a couple of weeks? Your merry go round of excuses are tiresomely repetitive. Bye.
i could learn it, they just did not keep me, eventhough i had perfect attendence there, was always on time, never late once, fine then, good riddance bastard

Old 04-02-2012, 12:06 PM

831 posts, read 2,825,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
That's the world we live in, sorry, but you must face it.

We all have to deal with employers trying to get more for less.
You can't change it, it's not 1997 anymore.

Try looking at smaller businesses like icecream stores or pizza places for work. They're more willing to take a chance on someone compared to the big companies like Target, Walmart, and Kmart that are more corporate.

Here's a list of places I would look at:

Hardware Store
Ice Cream Store
Pizza Joint
Thrift/Consignment Shop
Laundromat
Daycare Center
Deli or Sandwich Shop
Small convienence Store like 7-Eleven
Local Newspaper if you drive
Movie Theatre

Old 04-02-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
That's the world we live in, sorry, but you must face it.

We all have to deal with employers trying to get more for less.
You can't change it, it's not 1997 anymore.

Try looking at smaller businesses like icecream stores or pizza places for work. They're more willing to take a chance on someone compared to the big companies like Target, Walmart, and Kmart that are more corporate.

Here's a list of places I would look at:

Hardware Store
Ice Cream Store
Pizza Joint
Thrift/Consignment Shop
Laundromat
Daycare Center
Deli or Sandwich Shop
Small convienence Store like 7-Eleven
Local Newspaper if you drive
Movie Theatre
i've applied at movie theaters, even pizza places, no response at all from them, i will try the others then

Old 04-02-2012, 12:21 PM

Also even if you didnt hear back from a place a few months or years ago, try again, sometimes its about timing, maybe they didnt need help then but someone may have quit recently and now they do.
I have applied to many of my jobs twice before I got hired.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:30 PM

More places to try:

Dry Cleaners
Bowling Alley
YMCA/Health Club/Gym
Library
Nursing Home

Old 04-02-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Also even if you didnt hear back from a place a few months or years ago, try again, sometimes its about timing, maybe they didnt need help then but someone may have quit recently and now they do.
I have applied to many of my jobs twice before I got hired.
well the first few pages of this thread was regarding Home Depot, then it became me trying to get hired from applying elsewhere, i just found out the news this morning that I did not get hired at Sports Authority, and there is a Brand New Location that is opening next month in the area where I live, i had my interview there last week, found out this morning I did not get hired, i'm very pissed off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search