Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 02:20 AM

6 posts, read 9,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Because colleges often do a really bad job at teaching students how to network, so you don't think about it! My college was an exception, thank goodness.

What department did you work in and which are you applying for? There might be more connections than you think! I would approach your old supervisor (maybe ask him or her out to lunch) and ask to talk about working in higher ed. You will learn something about a field that offers fantastic benefits, gain a stronger connection, practice your networking skills, and hopefully get a leg up! As you are discussing the field, mention the job you are applying to.

It might even open the door to future employment in the office if this position doesn't work out! I interviewed from out of state and my old supervisors actually helped set me up in interviews for jobs that were not listed yet.

We have also now transitioned from a student worker - supervisor relationship to a colleague relationship. I find this incredibly beneficial in learning how to exist in an office environment as someone who was always either a student worker or intern.
I worked in the library as well as buildings and grounds. The job I'm applying for is at the career center.

It seems kind of awkward to have lunch with the old boss - we weren't exactly close. Not that I was in bad terms with the boss, but we barely talked. I just sat in a corner and did my work. Would someone like that really recommend me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 08:42 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Yes! Networking is awkward when you are first learning how to do it. Reach out to him via email and let him know that you are considering a career in higher ed. Maybe lunch is too much in your situation - coffee might be better. I have given cold call career advice to alumni who I never met before due to my job - it's not as abnormal as you would think.

Even if they don't recommend you (do you have anyone from that office who could write a rec?), they can guide you to the right people or maybe put in a good word for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search