Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 11:20 AM

434 posts, read 552,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Usually a comment made by someone who has no clue at all about all the ins and outs of opening even a small sole proprietorship business, has no idea of the expense involved and has never attempted to do it themselves.

I actually know how to run a business. I know how much time and money is involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 11:22 AM

467 posts, read 664,945 times
I think wow, how sad.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Usually a comment made by someone who has no clue at all about all the ins and outs of opening even a small sole proprietorship business, has no idea of the expense involved and has never attempted to do it themselves.

Do you know what is involved in running your own business? Have you ever had your own?

I have had my own business, and I have helped other people with theirs. I know what it takes to run a business. Do you?

Old 02-01-2012, 12:21 PM

370 posts, read 1,366,003 times
I don't know what you guys are fighting about. Some people have chosen to stop being victims and sitting around hoping someone will call them and started their own businesses.

Opening a business does not necessary constitute having a store or restaurant. It can be something as simple as 'working for yourself' as a handyman or cleaner or tutor.

More power to people willing to take a chance instead of daydreaming about some boss handing them a job.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysPoppins View Post
I don't know what you guys are fighting about. Some people have chosen to stop being victims and sitting around hoping someone will call them and started their own businesses.

Opening a business does not necessary constitute having a store or restaurant. It can be something as simple as 'working for yourself' as a handyman or cleaner or tutor.

More power to people willing to take a chance instead of daydreaming about some boss handing them a job.

This is exactly what I mean. There are plenty of ways one could start a business.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:42 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.drew View Post
Do you know what is involved in running your own business? Have you ever had your own?

I have had my own business, and I have helped other people with theirs. I know what it takes to run a business. Do you?

Yes. Two in very different arenas and another one now ready to go in an entirely different field.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:07 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysPoppins View Post

Who's "fighting"? I'm not. I've never been a "victim" either. Of course you can start a business without having a storefront or any other physical location and I've no argument with that. I was driving out from a small local gas station/store the other day and stopped at the air pump to put air in one of my tires and this young and able-bodied youth was sitting on the wall and said something to me. I couldn't hear him over the "hiss" of the air and, when I'd finished pumping up the tire, I asked him to repeat.

"Got a dollar?", he said.

"Honey, are you kidding?", I said. "You expect an old lady like me who's barely getting by to just GIVE you a dollar when you could be going out with a weedwhacker to make some money"? Give me a break, child!"

I literally dirtied my hands (and maintained clean hands) for many years in many different arenas, never took a handout for 50 years and only just closed my latest business and am receiving my first ever (paid into) SS retirement benefits which covers my rent but nothing else. I'm not complaining and I'm about to do something completely different to supplement my income. I've always fended for myself and always will until the day I die.

Yes, one can make money running one's own small business which doesn't entail a storefront and I know hundreds who do exactly that. I simply wanted to comment on the generalized comment by poster Dr Drew who said, "More people need to start opening their own businesses" and then questioned me on my own experiences in the field and obviously under the assumption that I was just shooting from the hip and didn't know what I was talking about.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:23 PM

831 posts, read 2,826,303 times
I have 2 jobs. I'm lucky I guess.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:30 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,362,804 times
Not everyone is cut out to open and run their own business.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Who's "fighting"? I'm not. I've never been a "victim" either. Of course you can start a business without having a storefront or any other physical location and I've no argument with that. I was driving out from a small local gas station/store the other day and stopped at the air pump to put air in one of my tires and this young and able-bodied youth was sitting on the wall and said something to me. I couldn't hear him over the "hiss" of the air and, when I'd finished pumping up the tire, I asked him to repeat.

"Got a dollar?", he said.

"Honey, are you kidding?", I said. "You expect an old lady like me who's barely getting by to just GIVE you a dollar when you could be going out with a weedwhacker to make some money"? Give me a break, child!"

I literally dirtied my hands (and maintained clean hands) for many years in many different arenas, never took a handout for 50 years and only just closed my latest business and am receiving my first ever (paid into) SS retirement benefits which covers my rent but nothing else. I'm not complaining and I'm about to do something completely different to supplement my income. I've always fended for myself and always will until the day I die.

Yes, one can make money running one's own small business which doesn't entail a storefront and I know hundreds who do exactly that. I simply wanted to comment on the generalized comment by poster Dr Drew who said, "More people need to start opening their own businesses" and then questioned me on my own experiences in the field and obviously under the assumption that I was just shooting from the hip and didn't know what I was talking about.

That's what I was getting at. Instead of people sitting around waiting for someone to call about a job, or asking for handouts, they could find a way to make money themselves. The guy with the lawnmower and gas can in his parents garage could go start his own business. Put fliers up around town about being willing to yardwork and whatever. A lot of people have started businesses this way. I may have just understood my comment different than you did.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search