Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 02:12 PM

650 posts, read 1,812,186 times

Advertisements

What is your background experience anyway? What type of position is this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 02:16 PM

254 posts, read 809,976 times
It is a Buyer position. I've been a buyer in a manufacturing environment over 15 years. The position is to be the "sole" Buyer in a newly created position.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:26 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
If you were a manufacturing buyer, you have the negotiating skills for this job!

Don't be insecure. You have what it takes.

Go in there and nail this interview!

Good luck!

Old 01-30-2012, 02:35 PM

650 posts, read 1,812,186 times
That's good experience dealing with people. You must deal with enough numbers to be able to adjust to construction contracts. Finalizing a contract is essentially the same as buying one. My old boss use to say that when we bid on construction contracts, we are buying them. We buy all the scope of the work for a set amount of price and that's what we need to stick to. I'm sure you've negotiated before, just emphasize that skill.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:26 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbey View Post
I am reviewing basic construction services agreements info I printed off the net. I want the job but am surprised they want to interview me knowing that I do not have this background. I was recently laid off from a start up and am furiously looking for employment. I am very interested in the job but am very nervous about the requirements. I just hope I give a decent interview and don't undersell myself. I am confident in my skills but not this particular area.
You're going to have to go in with the attitude that you probably won't get this job--b/c of your lack of experience--but it's possible that no one else with this experience applied for the job. Hard to believe but it could happen. Or you'll be more experienced in another part of the job. So do like they all said and learn all you can and learn what qualities are important for the successful negotiator of contracts and stress which of those you have. Diplomacy? A nose for a bargain? Will fit in well with the "good ole boys"? My argument here is that if you go in knowing that you won't get the job you'll be more relaxed and can chalk the interview up to experience, which counts for a lot and who knows? Maybe you'll get lucky.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:00 PM

254 posts, read 809,976 times
I agree Stepka. I am going to use this interview as a learning experience. There is no sense trying to act like I know something I don't. I really don't want a job that I can't do. I will just sell myself the best I can and if it doesn't work out, it wasn't meant to be. I passed the phone interview so maybe they heard something they liked. I have been studying for the past few hours and I just feel burnt out right now. I am just going to leave it in God's hands and if it's meant to be it will. Thanks!!

Old 01-30-2012, 06:33 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If you were a manufacturing buyer, you have the negotiating skills for this job!

Don't be insecure. You have what it takes.

Go in there and nail this interview!

Good luck!

I agree with this. You have experience which is very similar, so focus on that when it comes up in the interview.

Give concrete examples of negotiating that you did as a buyer.

Show the interviewer that you have the basic skill set needed to do this job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search