Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 08:41 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times

Advertisements

I've been at my current job for almost 2 years now. It is my third job in my career thus far, for a total of 5 years. I am 27 years old and hold a masters in accounting.

Anyway, my manager and some of the seniors I work with are just a nightmare. My manager has an unbelievable ego and has never promoted a single person in all 12 years of his management. He thinks he's super important and acts nice, but you never know when he'll snap at you for the stupidest things. His ego is so outrageous. One time he said to me, "if you ever get stuck on something, just ask yourself, what would [manager's name] do?" And this is a guy who is heavily involved in church and considers himself very religious. Yet, he treats people like crap at work and is an extreme mizar. Also, when he wants to have a "quick meeting" in his office, it always ends up dragging on for a VERY long time. 1 minute turns into an hour. Not even kidding. No one in the entire department likes him. I can't stand him. If he asks you to do something, he'll tell you that you did a good job, but then he'll completely change it and make it HIS way.

Then, the other guy I work with is a nice guy, but he's just a nightmare to work with also. I have to do assignments for him, and he reviews them. But he's constantly talking very harshly, yells at me, bangs his hands on the table and doesn't let me TALK! It seriously drives up my stress levels, and I can't take it anymore. These guys have been with the company for 20-30 years and act like they're at home. The department is very disorganized and nothing is consistent; it's quite a disaster. Most of the work I do is very ambiguous

It's just very demoralizing. The worst part of all this is that I feel somewhat behind in my career. I used to be a straight A student back in college, but now I feel like I just want to do away with the business world and move to Kentucky and start a farm or something.

With that said, do you think the above reasons are reason enough to find a new job? I'm constantly getting phone calls and e-mails from recruiters, and there are tons of job openings in my area. So I don't think finding another job would be a problem at all. I'm at least going to wait until April, however, just after receiving a raise and bonus.

What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 09:16 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Crappy work environment. No chance at a promotion. Falling behind in your career. Doesn't sound like rocket surgery.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:34 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
With that said, do you think the above reasons are reason enough to find a new job? I'm constantly getting phone calls and e-mails from recruiters, and there are tons of job openings in my area. So I don't think finding another job would be a problem at all. I'm at least going to wait until April, however, just after receiving a raise and bonus.
There's your answer in bold. I'd make the move.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:00 AM

261 posts, read 497,292 times
Life is too short to stay around idiots like that. Just make yourself a list of pros and cons of staying. Whichever list is longer, that will give you your answer. Let us know what you decide. Good luck, I sympathize with you because I'm in a similar situation, but I need to stay just a little longer.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:14 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
What are you waiting for?

Old 02-14-2012, 10:11 AM

200 posts, read 565,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I've been at my current job for almost 2 years now. It is my third job in my career thus far, for a total of 5 years. I am 27 years old and hold a masters in accounting.

Anyway, my manager and some of the seniors I work with are just a nightmare. My manager has an unbelievable ego and has never promoted a single person in all 12 years of his management. He thinks he's super important and acts nice, but you never know when he'll snap at you for the stupidest things. His ego is so outrageous. One time he said to me, "if you ever get stuck on something, just ask yourself, what would [manager's name] do?" And this is a guy who is heavily involved in church and considers himself very religious. Yet, he treats people like crap at work and is an extreme mizar. Also, when he wants to have a "quick meeting" in his office, it always ends up dragging on for a VERY long time. 1 minute turns into an hour. Not even kidding. No one in the entire department likes him. I can't stand him. If he asks you to do something, he'll tell you that you did a good job, but then he'll completely change it and make it HIS way.

Then, the other guy I work with is a nice guy, but he's just a nightmare to work with also. I have to do assignments for him, and he reviews them. But he's constantly talking very harshly, yells at me, bangs his hands on the table and doesn't let me TALK! It seriously drives up my stress levels, and I can't take it anymore. These guys have been with the company for 20-30 years and act like they're at home. The department is very disorganized and nothing is consistent; it's quite a disaster. Most of the work I do is very ambiguous

It's just very demoralizing. The worst part of all this is that I feel somewhat behind in my career. I used to be a straight A student back in college, but now I feel like I just want to do away with the business world and move to Kentucky and start a farm or something.

What would you do?
If up don't mind me asking, if this is your third job in 5 years, what happened at the first two? Were their also personal conflicts at the first two? The only reason I ask, is to try and get all perspectives. If you have had personal conflicts at all 3 jobs in 5 years, can some of the problem be you?

With that said, I very much dislike my job because of my boss. I have actively been looking for a new job for 3 years because of him. And I thought I could work/get along with anyone before him. The first year of working for him I did tolerate him. But by the 2nd year my patience wore thin. And now..I am desperate to get out. So I very much believe that you should find a new job if there is a bad working environment.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:16 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Time to change jobs. Hopefull you can get a 10% (or more) pay raise with this move and finally see some advancement in your career.

When asked why you are looking, say there is no room for advancement. If they inquire further, mention that your manager is great, but he has not promoted anyone in the 12 years he has been a manager, and it is clear that he doesn't plan to change.

You are actually in the perfect position to land a good opportunity. You have been in your job 2 years. This is a good amount of time.

Decide what you want in your career and GO FOR IT.

Do not bad mouth your boss or coworker in the interviews. Do not say the truth that you said here about his big ego, etc. Just state the fact that he doesn't promote and your opportinities are limited due to this so it is time to move on. Be very positve about the current job and your relationship with your manager and other coworkers.

When you land that great opportunity, please come back here and update this post with the good news.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:43 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chzanne View Post
If up don't mind me asking, if this is your third job in 5 years, what happened at the first two? Were their also personal conflicts at the first two? The only reason I ask, is to try and get all perspectives. If you have had personal conflicts at all 3 jobs in 5 years, can some of the problem be you?

With that said, I very much dislike my job because of my boss. I have actively been looking for a new job for 3 years because of him. And I thought I could work/get along with anyone before him. The first year of working for him I did tolerate him. But by the 2nd year my patience wore thin. And now..I am desperate to get out. So I very much believe that you should find a new job if there is a bad working environment.
I left my first job because I got tired of working 70 hours per week. My second job, I was laid off in 2009, when the economy was plunging bigtime. So no, I wouldn't say the problem is my own personality. It's definitely other circumstances that cause me leave a job.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:54 AM

115 posts, read 327,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Doesn't sound like rocket surgery.
I did not know you could perform surgery on rockets kidding

OP, if you have other opportunities available to you, I would move on. More than the personality conflicts I would be concerned about the lack of promotion.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:30 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
No harm in looking, but be careful. With 3 jobs in 5 years, employers will label you a job hopper as soon as they see the resume, w/o investigating the reasons behind it. Fair-doesn't matter, if they circular file you. So with that in mind, you need your next job to last many years, most likely more than the first 3 put together. That means you must find a position that is excellent for you in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, AND 2017.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search