Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 02:24 PM

114 posts, read 494,425 times

Advertisements

Is businesses do not look at past job experience, resumes, or none of that.

What I see is they will look at a couple things on a job application.

like:

- How many children you got (if you got 2 or more)

- Are you currently attending school.

- Are you currently working?

of course not all 3 will be on a job application but can be mentioned.

I find a majority of the time businesses target people that qualify under those circumstances and is more willing to offer them a job than someone who is working that is single and independent.

I also find quite often businesses stay within a family when hiring, like hiring an employees friend or relative, so while 2-3 people in one household is holding down jobs, their is that 1-2 independents out there still searching. That is probably a staggering number.

Our economic problems where it is sending jobs to China to India to some extent is a cause, I have reason to believe that more than 2-3 people that are being hired out of the same household is putting as much strain on our economy as well since this will greatly affect spending which is what our economy is built on.

As for the earlier tidbit about hiring practices, my brother in law was hired about 6 times by businesses and was either fired or quit because he had kids.

one guy I know locally has quit a job several times and immediately some how or another jumped to another job instantly, his last one really opened my eyes to ask WTF is going on?, because the place that hired him, I put in 6-7 apps a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 03:02 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,105 posts, read 80,205,776 times
Another case of someone frustrated with the job search blaming employers instead of their own inability to compete with the many well-qualified applicants for every job.

It's illegal to ask someone in an interview, or on a resume or application if they have kids, never mind how many. It's also illegal to fire someone because they have kids, if that's what he told you he simply didn't want to share the real reason he was let go. If he was fired for having kids he should hire a lawyer and sue, he'd get a lot of money.

As for going to school or having another job, I was hired despite owning and operating a business, simply had to sign an agreement not to serve customers that were also customers of the company to avoid conflicts of interest.

I have hired people still in school several times, and in fact, we pay for employees to go to school if it's to study subjects that will help them in their job or to advance their career withing the company.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:43 PM

no he tells employers he has 3-4 kids to support and hes quit or was fired from every job hes had because he really dont want to work. But it mattered why they hired him in the first place.

As for the many well-qualified applicants, my problem is they hire the least qualified person, its been like that for years. Want proof? look at the ones responsible for the Banks crashing and needed government bail out, guess who kept their jobs? the ones responsible for Banks going under.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:47 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,104,404 times
i can hear the frustration in your post. i understand been there done that. trying to figure out why they hired somebody else and not u is important part of the job hunting process. we all gain from it.
its brutal its unfair but it works.
i am not sure about the theory that they wont hire people with kids.
or that the question on the app are unfair as to work school and family.
what can greatly reduce the baloney u r experiencing is some hard skills.
try jr college to get some vocational ed hard skill classes.
when they really need you the tap dancing slows down alot.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:03 PM

Sometimes I know why and can understand why, But more times than not I really question their methods on what they are doing and why they hired the ones they do hire in which sometimes I see who they hire and thinking.........I was beat out by that?

Old 02-05-2012, 04:07 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,104,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot474 View Post
Sometimes I know why and can understand why, But more times than not I really question their methods on what they are doing and why they hired the ones they do hire in which sometimes I see who they hire and thinking.........I was beat out by that?
stick with it, dont compare yourself too much to those who got the job.
one guy who got hired over me got dragged from top of his desk where he was standing screaming and was cuffed and taken away by 2 police. this was 2 months after they had hired him. i was there when it happened. 5 months later i got hired same job, major promotion. i did not stand on the desk and scream however. lol.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:04 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,502,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot474 View Post
no he tells employers he has 3-4 kids to support .
Hey man, I've got 5 kids to feed!

Total Recall - Benny - YouTube

Old 02-05-2012, 05:46 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,336,680 times
I also have lost faith in american companies and their hiring practices. They pass over the best qualified candidate based on how well they can BS in an interview and a few months later the person they hired broke equipment, reported bad results, and created a backlog. I think companies don't deserve to have competent employees.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I also have lost faith in american companies and their hiring practices. They pass over the best qualified candidate based on how well they can BS in an interview and a few months later the person they hired broke equipment, reported bad results, and created a backlog. I think companies don't deserve to have competent employees.
Yeah thats about the same kind of stuff I see to.

Like that one guy who can jump job to job after quitting almost immediately still have me scratching my head.

I agree, the ones they hire is the ones that can BS the interview the best.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:59 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,105 posts, read 80,205,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I don't know where you have worked that this happens, all the people I have hired the last few years have worked out great because I know how to tell when people BS in an interview, and I add a small sample work project to separate the qualified from the fakers. I recently had a guy that interviewed really well, but something about his answers bothered me, no specific examples. He totally blew the work sample, didn't have a clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search