Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 04:18 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
well whatever state youre in my wife and I will not ever be moving there (and hopefully we dont live there already). We immediately x out all places that require or look highly upon college degrees. In our humble opinion, everybody has the right to have a shot. You never know, that guy who just walked in off the street with no experience other than mowing yards just might end up being one of the best workers to come around in a long time.
Less than 10% of my employees have college degrees. What they have are certifications. Most of them are highly skilled blue collar. Most went to trade school or apprenticed for years before achieving the certifications. Our contracts (particularly the government contracts) require our employees to have these certifications.

A guy with no experience except moving lawns would absolutely not be able to walk in and start working. Putting an unskilled worker into our shop would be like letting someone who had never flown before pilot a jet plane. It would be foolhardy and very dangerous.

Everybody doesn't deserve to have a shot if they have no idea what they're doing. I run a business, not a day care, and while we have a couple of apprentices, they all have some sort of previous experience (in their field) or trade school before they begin working for us.

We usually have a couple of general laborers, but even those folks need a forklift license and clean drivers license.

If someone walks in off the street for a general labor position and we're hiring, we'll consider them, certainly. But the other positions, nope. They need to have their certifications in place, and we generally fill those jobs through referrals. So if you have the certifications and are currently or have in the past worked in our field, you'll have a network in place and you'll hear about openings through that network. In that case you've got a pretty darn good shot, we usually only get 2-4 applications per opening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 11:51 AM

640 posts, read 1,214,783 times
I'm actually not too keen on following up myself now. I've done it before and always get brushed off no matter what. It didn't matter how nicely dressed I was or how polite I was on the phone. If I feel I have an absolute chance, I will do 1 phone call. ONLY one and I leave it be. In the past nobody thought it was harrassment, but now people probably do see it as that. I just applied to somewhere last night and the bottom of the application says

"Apply online and please NO phone calls. The management staff will contact qualified candidates to set up interviews.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer."

Old 08-02-2012, 01:39 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
When I was younger it was beaten into me that if you want a job you submit a resume or application, then you check up on your application at once a week. You were also suppose to be persistent to show the employer that you were serious about wanting to work there. 90% of the time this resulted in you getting a job.

Now whenever I call or visit a place Ive applied at they have absolutely no idea what "checking up on an application" means. I actually had to tell one girl "it means go get your manager". This of course was followed by the manager telling me that they dont allow checking up as they fell theyre being harassed. Ive also been told it makes an applicant look needy. Dont most applicants need a job? This has been the basic attitude everywhere. No long form applications anywhere, you have to apply online and take some 45 minute long psychological exam, then sit back and HOPE they saw your application because they dont allow checking up/following up.

Is anyone else noticing this?

If I was a hiring manager, I wouldnt want people hounding me either. I really dont blame them. To some hiring managers, bugging them incessantly about your "status" doesnt show your persistance, it shows that you are annoying, desperate and impatient.

If someone called me even once about their "status" Id dump their resume directly in the can.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:17 PM

644 posts, read 1,145,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
If I was a hiring manager, I wouldnt want people hounding me either. I really dont blame them. To some hiring managers, bugging them incessantly about your "status" doesnt show your persistance, it shows that you are annoying, desperate and impatient.

If someone called me even once about their "status" Id dump their resume directly in the can.
Well some hiring managers like that and it has worked for some people I know. I know when I don't call they almost forget about me, but when I call them they remember me. I make sure they remember me and eventually I get somewhere with it. I worked for plenty of people and they are currently employed by doing that. So it works sometimes and then it doesn't work. These employers tend to have a habit of forgetting about you. It takes more than a application, resume, and cover letter to stand out, but sometimes you have to call to remind them, "I'm still here."

Old 08-06-2012, 08:20 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,606,739 times
Quote:
When I was younger it was beaten into me that if you want a job you submit a resume or application, then you check up on your application at once a week. You were also suppose to be persistent to show the employer that you were serious about wanting to work there. 90% of the time this resulted in you getting a job.

Now whenever I call or visit a place Ive applied at they have absolutely no idea what "checking up on an application" means. I actually had to tell one girl "it means go get your manager". This of course was followed by the manager telling me that they dont allow checking up as they fell theyre being harassed. Ive also been told it makes an applicant look needy. Dont most applicants need a job? This has been the basic attitude everywhere. No long form applications anywhere, you have to apply online and take some 45 minute long psychological exam, then sit back and HOPE they saw your application because they dont allow checking up/following up.

Is anyone else noticing this?
not only that, you have to leave the same message, they ask you for your name and phone number to leave the hiring-manager a message more than once, as in when you make the follow-up phone call the next week or next few days, they have forgotten about you, and the hiring-manager still never gets back to you no matter how assertive, no matter how much initiative you show

Old 08-06-2012, 08:32 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
It's really no need to call and check up on a application. I was interested in 5 positions and have no intentions on calling them and just focusing on the next job posting. I have already threw those jobs out of my mind and now this week looking for the next opportunity. If one of them call I can go back to my spreadsheet and see which day I applied and set up a interview. Other than that no need to call to follow up on a application especially since I like to feel a employer is intrigued by my background if they call me first.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:59 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
I agree they will call you if they like your application.

However, I also think it is ok to follow up on an application that you are really interested in. But only those that you are really interested in, as hiring managers get really good at being able to tell when someone is just going through the motions and following up because they think they are supposed to.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:11 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
I agree they will call you if they like your application.

However, I also think it is ok to follow up on an application that you are really interested in. But only those that you are really interested in, as hiring managers get really good at being able to tell when someone is just going through the motions and following up because they think they are supposed to.

The ones i applied to last week that I was really interested in provided no phone number and said no calls.

I feel if I don't hear from none of those jobs this week then it's over because after back tracking, I was able to see all the jobs i applied to that I had interest in since january, I got a call after the 1st day or within two weeks. So I guess I would say by next tuesday.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:25 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
Well, if there is no phone number, then no calls is the best policy.

I do understand.

No one ever wants the perspective of the hiring people, but here goes anyway.

My days look like this:

Monday- Come in to about 50-75 applications received since Friday. Have about an hour to go through them.
Tuesday- Finish going through them, as even at a minute per resume, the hour I have on Monday was not enough.
Wednesday- Set up interviews with the applicants, hopefully for Thurs and Fri.

Now, if I have an hour of "follow up" phone calls on Monday and Tuesday, I am still looking at applications on Thursday. So, while I understand the wanting to call, please only do so if you are really interested.

I do include a phone number on the application/website posting.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:30 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Well, if there is no phone number, then no calls is the best policy.

I do understand.

No one ever wants the perspective of the hiring people, but here goes anyway.

My days look like this:

Monday- Come in to about 50-75 applications received since Friday. Have about an hour to go through them.
Tuesday- Finish going through them, as even at a minute per resume, the hour I have on Monday was not enough.
Wednesday- Set up interviews with the applicants, hopefully for Thurs and Fri.

Now, if I have an hour of "follow up" phone calls on Monday and Tuesday, I am still looking at applications on Thursday. So, while I understand the wanting to call, please only do so if you are really interested.

I do include a phone number on the application/website posting.
One of them was from craigslist which is the closest to where I live which is the one I know i won't hear from or if I do it will be after 3 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search