Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 03:26 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Why would I take a job paying less than unemployment?-LOL I can't take minimum wage anyway because not only is it lower than lower than unemployment but it wouldn't keep me in my apartment.
If you don't find a job before your benefits run out then you may have no choice but to accept a cut in pay at that point, and maybe even minimum wage. And if you can't afford to pay your rent then you'll have to move to a less expensive apartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I've lost count to the number of jobs I've not received because during the interview I told them I'm a work perfectionist.
If you really believe that this is the reason you're passed over in favor of another applicant then the obvious solution would be not to tell anyone that you're a "work perfectionist".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 07:34 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
pythoinis, Manufacturers quote selling prices based on cost, a big variable fo which is labor. So when you take your time, the employer LOSES money. They count on the employee making X parts per hour, no ands, ifs, nor buts.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:44 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
pythoinis, Manufacturers quote selling prices based on cost, a big variable fo which is labor. So when you take your time, the employer LOSES money. They count on the employee making X parts per hour, no ands, ifs, nor buts.
True, but if all of your product breaks down within 6 months, doesnt work to begin with, or otherwise looks like it was built by 5 year olds, then word of mouth (amplified by the internet) takes over and youre not selling ANYTHING. 1 person tells 3 ppl, those 3 tell 3, those each tell 5, so on and so on.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:48 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
during hard times employers get their pick of the litter. everybody that applies for my job when i left had a masters or had passed the bar exam.
every banking job required spanish (disclosed or not), medical equip rental requires a bachelors. why do they do it? bek they can. 10% unemployment.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:51 AM

pythonis, And if nothing breaks down but your excess time spent means the corp LOSES money on every item sold, they will be out of business faster as sales grow.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:55 AM

Bob, we're talking about taking an extra 5 minutes to do the job right the first time. If you do the job in 3 minutes but it looks like crap and/or doesnt work then you have to do it again. and sometimes again and again and again. You lose that way. besides, the goal of a business imo is to make the customer want to keep coming back due to being happy about the product. Not to make a quick buck.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:08 PM

5 minutes cost a ton, when margins on many products amount to little more than that. On average, our subsidiaries spend more than $1.25 per $1 of production wages on fringe benefits. Their margins are not huge, and have room for no variances at all-even 5 minutes. If we increased them for your 5 minutes, we'd lose business to firms who did not charge for your desired cushion. Businesses are judged on those quick bucks; we can measure todays profits, but not 2015s.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:28 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
If you don't find a job before your benefits run out then you may have no choice but to accept a cut in pay at that point, and maybe even minimum wage. And if you can't afford to pay your rent then you'll have to move to a less expensive apartment.

If you really believe that this is the reason you're passed over in favor of another applicant then the obvious solution would be not to tell anyone that you're a "work perfectionist".
Stop talking to me, I don't want your advice and never wanted your advice and if you insist on harassing me I'm going to report you

Old 02-15-2012, 12:28 PM

well then i guess thats the difference between you and me. If i ran a business i would strive to make people happy by giving them quality product that worked the first time and continued to work for years and years after. I may lose money and go out of business in 5 years but i could look back and know that I made a lot of people happy and stuck to my morals. I can say that because ive always been the customer, never the owner. I could care less how he sees his profit margin for the next 5 years. Treat me right and sell me quality product and I'll tell all of my friends to buy from you. Dont do that, and I'll tell everyone I see to avoid you like the plague.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Stop talking to me, I don't want your advice and never wanted your advice and if you insist on harassing me I'm going to report you
THAT'S harassment? wow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search