Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 09:14 AM

3,329 posts, read 1,961,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
Finally I had an interview for a job I really would have liked on Friday. Didn't get it but fumed over the weekend because of what was said in the interview. But, it's Monday and time to start looking again. Will have my MBA in about 3 weeks (which makes getting a job even more important).

Here's how the interview went:

My appointment was set for 10:00 am. I arrived at 9:50.
The receptionist was very rude when I said I was here for my 10:00 am interview with Mr. so and so. (I don't take her attitude personally)

Mr Interviewer showed up with a cup of coffee (not company) at 10:20 am and said his time was "very valuable" (kind of rude to be 20 mins late...but whatever)

Mr Interviewer asked if I had a copy of my resume (which I did) and when I said yes he said "good...I want to compare it to the one you sent in." (um...okay)

After scanning the resumes he asked "Why do you think you're qualified for the position?" (odd way to phrase the question but I replied that my recent education and past experience in XYZ position has prepared me for the position which requires TUV skills)

He snorted to that response. (not having good vibes)

After a few generic questions he asked "Don't you think women should stay home with the kids?" I replied "What gave you the impression I had children?" He said "You're old enough and probably have 5 or 6 kids since you've been on welfare for the past 7 years"

Um...excuse me?

I informed him that I have not been on welfare for the past 7 years and in fact I have been a full-time student (earning 3 degrees) and with the same non-profit volunteer position for the that time.

He closed the interview saying I wasted his time since he "knew" my resume was made up.

Okay.....so I know the guy was a jerk but come on! Why do I seem to get all the crazy interviewers? He had not checked my background or called references provided on the online application.

Grr.....it is getting so frustrating. What is your take on this interview? What could I have done differently?
it sounds to me like a case of an internal office political struggle that the interviewer lost and was taking it out on you, unfortunately. I'm sure everyone reading this has had an interview like this. I myself went to one last week where the decision was already made to promote internally but the manager of the manager insisted on intervieiwing a set number of candidates to satisfy HR "policy". I interviewed anyway to get a feel for the ambience of the company and interview experience. The interviewer did most of the talking and like in a poker game, she had plenty of "tells".

Or it could be in this case that you are better educated than the manager and pose a threat to him. The list of possible reasons for his boorishness are exponetial and it wont do any good to replay those scenes over and over trying to figure out what you did wrong. The answer is you were there and handy for that type of "manager" to abuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 09:29 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
I'd think twice about reporting him to HR.......your resume has your phone number/address on it!
I've gotten pi**ed off before concerning an interview, especially about a job that I really wanted and was totally experienced (IMO, that is) for. Like some other things in life, I had to "let it go and move on".

Old 02-13-2012, 10:12 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
About what? Suing because they didn't hire her? She would have to prove that the person they hired was less qualified and that she didn't get the job solely due to gender bias.
About discrimination. the burden of the proof is on the company not her.

It may be her words against his but he would be hard pressed to lie in front of a jury. Most likely the company would settle.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:23 AM

475 posts, read 1,370,750 times
Wow, sounds much worse than the one I had Friday. Was it a non-profit you were interviewing for? Just curious. I think I was also brought in for conflicting reasons on their side but at least, it was good practice and pleasant.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:12 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
About discrimination. the burden of the proof is on the company not her.

It may be her words against his but he would be hard pressed to lie in front of a jury. Most likely the company would settle.
Um, no. The burden of proof is not on the company. The burden of proof is always on the plaintiff.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:23 AM

410 posts, read 1,521,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peet111 View Post
Wow, sounds much worse than the one I had Friday. Was it a non-profit you were interviewing for? Just curious. I think I was also brought in for conflicting reasons on their side but at least, it was good practice and pleasant.

No it wasn't for a nonprofit. I usually have a good vibe about nonprofit organizations.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:27 AM

115 posts, read 327,049 times
What a complete jerk! I would have been flabbergasted.
I don't know if this does anything but you could write a review on your experience someplace like yelp.com? Or, maybe the better business bureau?

Old 02-14-2012, 11:59 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,162,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X_travelbug_X View Post
What a complete jerk! I would have been flabbergasted.
I don't know if this does anything but you could write a review on your experience someplace like yelp.com? Or, maybe the better business bureau?
glassdoor.com

Old 02-14-2012, 12:11 PM

410 posts, read 1,521,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
glassdoor.com

I love glassdoor.com. I would never trash a company though...that's just how I am. I really wanted this job though so it stung more than it usually would. I am focusing all my attention on getting a job in Washington though. This experience really summed up my opinion of where I live now. Unfortunately I can't get a bite in Washington since I don't live there. I think its wrong to get a local phone number and po box (it makes it seem like I'm already there when I'm not). I never had this much trouble finding work before but I understand the times now.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:29 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
I would contact the head of HR for this company and tell them what happened in writing. This guy needs to be taken down a peg or two and he is setting them up for a lawsuit.

Awhile back there was a poster on here who had a similar experience with a well known insurance company. She contacted the HR dept in their corporate office. They were not happy with what she told them.

This guy is a loose cannon, the higher ups and HR most likely have no idea what he is doing.

You don't have the job anyway, but by contacting HR you will kill two birds with one stone. You will report this guy and you may find the HR person willing to assist you with other positions to kind of smooth over what happened.

The problem today is no one speaks up anymore when they're treated like this, and that is what people like this guy count on.

If you contact HR in writing(just be polite and stick with the facts) I guarantee he will hear about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search