Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 13,186 times

Advertisements

(Job one) I have been offered a full time job which is great, the problem is I had two interviews and I would prefer the other job (job two), I informed them at the job two interview I had an offer and also that I was more interested in job 2, they said they would let me know because of my situation. The problem is job one want my details and I am holding back on giving them in, as I feel I stand a good chance with job 2. What should I do I could lose job one if I keep delaying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 02:59 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,655,093 times
Take the for sure job, I had the same thing come up, I wanted job one which was offered but only if and when the contract was awarded. In the time of waiting job 2 came through which wasn't as good, I took it and was waiting for job one to come through, it didn't happen, they failed to get the contract. I am still at job 2. While I am happy to be working I really would have preferred job one as it was better all the way around. You can always quit the job you don't want if the other one comes through.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
Not an easy situation. If offer #1 had several qualified candidates and you were just a bit better then they will not be patient long, and will most likely give you a deadline to accept or even withdraw the offer and go with someone else. If you are waiting for offer #2 and it doesn't come you
will be back to the drawing board. You cannot push them, since that could
end your chances. I recently had this happen with someone we offered to,
who was head and shoulders above the rest. We were able to give him more information about the benefits package and the working atmosphere and convinced him to accept.

If you are up to it, you can always accept and then either back out or start and then quit if the other comes through. It may not seem ethical, and is definitely rude, but people do it all the time.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:38 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,414,293 times
The last time I was job-hunting (20 years ago), I was in the same situation. I said YES to the first company's offer, although I really wanted a job with the second company. I gave the first company a starting date of two weeks from then, in hopes that the second company would come through with an offer in that time -- and they did.

Then I had to call the first company and tell them I wouldnt be going to work there after all. That was difficult. But it all worked out for the best -- the first company was acquired in a merger a couple of years down the road, while the second company is still going strong. (I recently retired from there with 20 years' service and a nice pension.)

Old 02-12-2012, 05:09 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
You can't drag your feet. You have to accept Job 1.

If Job 2 give you an offer, you can back out of Job 1.

You could end up with nothing if you leave Job 1 hanging like this.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:09 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,259,223 times
You need to go with the sure thing. There is no guarantee that job #2 will offer you the job. Hell, someone higher up the food chain may decide that job #2 isn't even going to be filled (at all or in a timely manner) in order to save money.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:59 PM

554 posts, read 976,894 times
As a consultant / contractor, I get into situations like yours frequently. I find that most jobs do not turn out the way I envision them, meaning that I gig that I suspect I won't like turns out to be real good and the gig that I think I really want turns out to be crappy. Also, in alot of cases, I am 100% sure an offer will come through and it won't and a head hunter that a gig that I initially turned down comes back a few weeks or months later and I end up on it. When I get an offer I usually try to get them to allow me a week to decide (most companies won't really want to go more than 2 or 3 days though).

Old 02-13-2012, 07:13 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,622,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You can't drag your feet. You have to accept Job 1.

If Job 2 give you an offer, you can back out of Job 1.

You could end up with nothing if you leave Job 1 hanging like this.

^^^^ This. And in the future not a good idea to tell Job Interview #2 that you have another offer to try and get them to make a decision.

A friend of mine did just what you did as she really wanted Job #2, so she thought by mentioning her other job offer she would "move them along".

They told her best of luck with her new job. Had she kept her mouth shut she might have gotten Job #2, instead she had no choice but to take Job #1.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:16 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
The first offer is usually the best offer especially if it is guaranteed position, the second job is a 'maybe'.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:21 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,414,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
^^^^ And in the future not a good idea to tell Job Interview #2 that you have another offer to try and get them to make a decision.

I hadnt noticed that the OP had told Company #2 that he had an offer from another company. seain dublin is correct in that it's always a mistake to do that. At best, that comes across as being manipulative and, at worst, probably-less-than-honest. I interviewed a lot of people in my last 10 years and, when one of them told me that he/she had another job offer, I immediately wrote that person off the list for both reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search