Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 07:15 PM

644 posts, read 1,145,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
But all of those things you have done babysitting, petsitting, and even housekeeping are positions of responsibility. And those skills are certainly transferrable.

Keep that in mind when you interview. Which is harder to do watch children and take care of pets, or stock shelves and run a cash register.

Don't sell youself short. So if an interiewer says you have no real work experience, you actully do, and volunteering counts as well.
Thanks, I try to use that as an advantage in addition to my academic training that will help me and I placed all that on my resume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
my longest job was 3 months but i never include it on my resume, applications because i was fired from there and this was back in 2007 when i was 19
Shoot, that's not bad at all. I hope you get something great too in the future!

Old 02-23-2012, 07:19 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
Shoot, that's not bad at all. I hope you get something great too in the future!
since leaving there in 2007, October 2007, i did not get a new job until October 2011, which was at Target, which i explained a few pages back, although i don't really count it as a job, since i only worked there 1 day, it's a long, complicated story, but i did get 1 paycheck from there, it was Abercrombie and Fitch, and no, i'm not handsome, i'm not good-looking

Old 02-24-2012, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
since leaving there in 2007, October 2007, i did not get a new job until October 2011, which was at Target, which i explained a few pages back, although i don't really count it as a job, since i only worked there 1 day, it's a long, complicated story, but i did get 1 paycheck from there, it was Abercrombie and Fitch, and no, i'm not handsome, i'm not good-looking
I have my own reservations about A&E. I just know I don't fit in to what they think is "All-American" and "Hot". lol So I don't even bother with them.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:09 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
I have my own reservations about A&E. I just know I don't fit in to what they think is "All-American" and "Hot". lol So I don't even bother with them.
whenever i entered work there, clocked in to print out my schedule, i had no hours, i spoke to the manager and she told me the place was going through a transitional phase, i would have rather they had not hired me, whats the point of getting hired if you are not going to get any work hours?

Old 04-26-2012, 04:47 PM

640 posts, read 1,214,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It wasn't me who was applying. I said in my thread this was something that I witnessed while waiting in line as a customer at CVS.

I felt bad for the guy. After he left I asked the cashier well how does someone follow up on an application or how does a manager decide on who to hire. He didn't know.

No reason it should be this complicated for these types of jobs.
That's why I suffer.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:12 AM

2 posts, read 3,360 times
I read a few pages and it made me laugh and roll my eyes at some posts about how such measly jobs nowadays have a hiring process as of one applying for a CEO position

I can add a short story of a overly prolonged hiring process.

My girlfriend applied for a job a Victoria's Secret. She went in an filled out an application and HAD to call them back which she did 3 days later, they got her in for an interview 4 days later and was told to wait for a call from the manager about a decision in one to two business days which never came, my girlfriend called back 4 business days later and was told they wanted her to come in for a second interview which came 7 days later. After the interview she was told to wait for a call back from the manager again for a possible job.... Even after all that time she wasn't guaranteed a job yet!!!! RIDICULOUS! Well 2 business days later she got a call back from the manager and she FINALLY got the job. But now she has to go through 4 orientations which are 4 hours long a piece She starts a SEASONAL job none the less at a retail clothing store in two weeks.

A total of 34 days from the date of handing in the Application to first day on the job...... Just for a retail clothing store

I am 28 and i've personally gotten 80% of all my jobs on the spot. Some I didn't even have to fill out an application! Just walked in and asked to speak to a manager and he/she hired me with in 10 minutes of talking to them. What happened to the work force nowadays? It's a **** show!

Old 04-28-2012, 05:39 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP991 View Post
I read a few pages and it made me laugh and roll my eyes at some posts about how such measly jobs nowadays have a hiring process as of one applying for a CEO position

I can add a short story of a overly prolonged hiring process.

My girlfriend applied for a job a Victoria's Secret. She went in an filled out an application and HAD to call them back which she did 3 days later, they got her in for an interview 4 days later and was told to wait for a call from the manager about a decision in one to two business days which never came, my girlfriend called back 4 business days later and was told they wanted her to come in for a second interview which came 7 days later. After the interview she was told to wait for a call back from the manager again for a possible job.... Even after all that time she wasn't guaranteed a job yet!!!! RIDICULOUS! Well 2 business days later she got a call back from the manager and she FINALLY got the job. But now she has to go through 4 orientations which are 4 hours long a piece She starts a SEASONAL job none the less at a retail clothing store in two weeks.

A total of 34 days from the date of handing in the Application to first day on the job...... Just for a retail clothing store

I am 28 and i've personally gotten 80% of all my jobs on the spot. Some I didn't even have to fill out an application! Just walked in and asked to speak to a manager and he/she hired me with in 10 minutes of talking to them. What happened to the work force nowadays? It's a **** show!
For retail jobs like that the employer has all the leverage. They can be picky and take their time as many of the applicants are similar.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:40 PM

415 posts, read 615,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I don't know what your line of work is, but other than a fast food job I got when I was 15, I've never gotten a job that easy, and that was 40 years ago.

Generally, in today's economy there are more applicants to review, and since people have become less than honest there are more screening processes to perform -- background checks, etc. Usually the first interview is to screen the person's personality and compare their verbal answers to the information they provide in their application, resume, and cover letter. If they seem to be actually who and what they say they are, the second interview is with the hiring manager. Then, if that person thinks you can do the job, there are jobs where you are interviewed by the team, so they can decide if you will fit into the group.

All those things take time. If you allow yourself to get frustrated with the process, you might exhibit character traits unattractive to the hiring team, so it is best if you just relax and go with it. After all, it isn't really your opinion that matters, if you really want the job.
Your logic makes sense for jobs that aren't retail or food service. I mean, come on. I have applied to Target and Macy's and McDonald's and their hiring process is worse than most law firms and hospitals. It takes months to hear back from service sector jobs. Literally months. Meanwhile I can apply to a CHILDREN'S hospital and find out in a week via email if I made it to the next round, be interviewed the next week, if they like me get a second interview one on one with the nurse supervisor, and then start working the next week. Some hospitals hire DOCTORS quicker than Target hires sales associates! Which should have a longer hiring process: the guy who could accidentally kill someone or the guy who rings up your groceries?

As for "the team" my own experience with the service sector is that the most senior member of "the team" is the one who cannot crack it anywhere else and never quit, and that is the only reason they are the senior member of said team, not because they have any leadership skills or talent. As for "the group" I find that concept laughable in the service sector. Service sector jobs have horrible turnover. A person might blend in well with "the team" but 6 months later 50% of the team that they blended well with is gone to greener pastures or got fired or quit. The concept that a person must get along with "the team" in a service job is laughable. I worked at Macy's circa 2006, within a year of my leaving the company 50% of my coworkers from when I worked there were gone. Within 3 years, even my supervisor was gone! What "team" is there to blend with? Had I stayed there, within 4 years all but 10% of "the team" that worked there when I was hired was gone! And everyone in my department, including my supervisor and even the store manager, were gone!

I can see wanting people to blend well with the team if the team did not turn over, like say you were hiring a nurse to work in a NICU with minimal turnover. You want to make sure that person mixes well with the existing nursing staff and with the doctors, you don't want someone who is going to cause drama, because there is little turnover in that NICU, chances are in a year only 1-2 people quit. Or in an office or law firm, or in a group of engineers. Because "the team" stays around for a long time - like 5, 10, 15, years, and in non-service sector jobs gets promoted for something more than sticking to it and being sentient and breathing.

Requiring so much for such a high-turnover, low paying job is ridiculous. Jobs that actually require skills require less hoop jumping. I was amazed the day I got my CNA certification for that very reason - I was getting job offers within a week, sometimes days of interviewing for a job that actually requires some skill.

As for the "they might not like your attitude" comment - you get what you pay for! If minimum wage or close to it is all an employer has to offer, well, beggars can't be choosers! The better people with the right attitude can get a better job eventually and will be out of there!

Old 05-17-2012, 01:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,364 times
There are many jobs out there that frankly... just don't take a rocket scientist to do. These were the jobs people like me could go and answer an ad for, walk in, fill out an application, chat with the boss or hiring guy, and like mentioned above, a hand shake and you go happy with the news that you got hired. A 60 minute "personality assessment" to sweep floors or work a cash register for minimum wage 15 hours a week? Are you joking? It isn't the position of Corporate CEO! I have applied to many places out of desperation. Standing outside of Home Depot trying to get people to schedule appts to have their water tested, walking dogs, cleaning dogs, checking emails and phone messages for someone, even working part time in a shop where kids come in and paint something ceramic to take home as a gift for someone (I have art school experience, ok?) and still, not a single call back or email. It's very sickening and these places have nerve being so selective. They're snub my application or resume for not being good enough yet in two weeks they will be hiring AGAIN! Gee, if you were only hiring the "ideal candidate" and you're already looking for someone else, so much for that person being a "good fit for your team" eh!? It's BS and people have too much power today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search