Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 01:00 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,622,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
I feel like with every job I apply for, interview for, and wait for it takes almost a whole month just to get some feedback. As of right now my ONLY lead for a job will be Target, but I'm disappointed that it's just a seasonal sales team member job. Almost two weeks ago I interviewed TWICE in ONE day, then the following Monday I was interviewed AGAIN then I took the drug test right after and passed my background check and then I got their email about orientation, but I haven't heard the H.R. phone call. So I decided to call them instead and now they aren't going to conducting a job orientation at all this week.

What happened to those days where all it took was a paper job application, a 5 minute talk, and a hand shake? Then most of the time nowadays you have to end up calling them because employers never call you back.

I feel like I'm all alone in this situation sometimes because most of my peers got jobs so quickly.
All of that for a temporary job at Target? It has gotten insane.

It used to be you walked into a store and filled out an application, then you asked to speak to a manger if they had time. If the job seeker made a decent appearance and a position was available they walked out with job.

I posted on another thread that I witnessed in CVS a few weeks ago someone come in trying to follow up on their online application.

The cashier blew the guy off. So I asked well how does someone get hired here? What is the protocol after they fill out their application online?

He didn't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 03:06 AM

644 posts, read 1,144,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
All of that for a temporary job at Target? It has gotten insane.

It used to be you walked into a store and filled out an application, then you asked to speak to a manger if they had time. If the job seeker made a decent appearance and a position was available they walked out with job.

I posted on another thread that I witnessed in CVS a few weeks ago someone come in trying to follow up on their online application.

The cashier blew the guy off. So I asked well how does someone get hired here? What is the protocol after they fill out their application online?

He didn't know.
People who are employees and managers at these places are CLUELESS.

Yes I couldn't believe I had to go through a process for a seasonal job at Target that's why IF I ever start a job orientation, I have to work my BUTT off and shine and show these people I should keep it. I don't want to go through all this for just 90 days. smdh

I heard of some part time entry level positions where you have FOUR interviews. Ridiculous!

Old 02-16-2012, 03:48 AM

878 posts, read 1,652,656 times
Yes sir,

I am hiring for a grill position at McDonald's.

What I need from you:

Completed application
Birth Certificate
Social Security Card
Driver's License
Blood Type
Children's Blood Type
Medical Records for your entire family
A complete family tree dating back to 1776
Car maintenance records
If car is older than 2000 model please finance a newer model and include proof
Credit history with explanations for any discrepancies
Water quality test for both your bathroom sink and shower

Please have all this documentation ready for your 7am interview on Feb 20th. Assuming all goes well we will be conducting 2nd interviews on April 9th and will send formal job offers around June 25th.

Pay is $7.25 an hour. Any questions?

Old 02-16-2012, 01:40 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,312,841 times
I had a Job Interview at OSH yesterday, is it okay to call back the employer the next day to ask what is the status of your job application?

Old 02-16-2012, 03:11 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
I had a Job Interview at OSH yesterday, is it okay to call back the employer the next day to ask what is the status of your job application?
Not if you want the job

Old 02-16-2012, 05:37 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,312,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Not if you want the job
i just don't want to appear pushy, desperate, by calling them back

Old 02-16-2012, 05:57 PM

5 posts, read 19,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Not if you want the job
Try following up with a thank you letter instead. When I had a job and was the one in charge of hiring I probably would have been annoyed at receiving a call the next day. Sending a thank you follow up letter would have given you extra points though.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:17 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura612 View Post
Try following up with a thank you letter instead. When I had a job and was the one in charge of hiring I probably would have been annoyed at receiving a call the next day. Sending a thank you follow up letter would have given you extra points though.
Yes the thank you letter is fine but not the calling

Old 02-16-2012, 08:40 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,622,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.C.420 View Post
People who are employees and managers at these places are CLUELESS.

Yes I couldn't believe I had to go through a process for a seasonal job at Target that's why IF I ever start a job orientation, I have to work my BUTT off and shine and show these people I should keep it. I don't want to go through all this for just 90 days. smdh

I heard of some part time entry level positions where you have FOUR interviews. Ridiculous!
That's insane. My first job while in HS was at The Gap. You went in filled out an application, they looked it over, they hired you as a seasonal employee. If you performed well they kept you on. I worked there for a year.

The only thing you had to do(it was a long time ago) was take a written test to prove you knew their products. And you were good to go.

Not putting down retail, but these jobs shouldn't require 2 and 3 interviews. You're running a cash register, stocking shelves, assisting customers.

They're making it way more complicated than it needs to be.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:46 AM

644 posts, read 1,144,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
Call after 3-5 business days. I thought I shouldn't call employers, but I learned that you NEED to after a couple of days, but FIRST ask them when do they expect to make a decision and then call on THAT day of question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search