Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 03:51 PM

23 posts, read 94,846 times

Advertisements

"Sandwich artist" is the title. It's kind of stupid but no need to change that.

And yeah, it's a bad resume but not shockingly so. "Due" for "do" is a reasonable error but "u" for "you" is really bad. He must know that that's wrong. The objective can just be removed entirely because nobody is going to hire anyone who wants to join the military. Bad grammar. Bullet points would help for job descriptions.

But the layout isn't bad. And this guy clearly isn't applying for physicist jobs. It's bad but what kind of resumes do you think Subway and the like are getting? The same level of resume, I would imagine. If not worse. A lot of these places don't even have English-speaking employees anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 04:42 PM

831 posts, read 2,825,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzed View Post
And yeah, it's a bad resume but not shockingly so.
I'm sorry to say, but that resume is beyond shocking, it's horrendous.

Sandwich Artist, that is ridiculous.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:42 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortuga29 View Post
Well, if it's an "all purpose" resume, it looks fine but when I hunt for employees, I like to see expierences and descriptions tailored to the position they are applying. Example: If it's heavily customer/client relation position, up play the ability to provide customer service skills and places customer service was a huge part.

Of course, now-a-days, customer service is always needed but lacking sometimes. So that was a failed example. Have him get a few places he would like to apply to, tailor his resume, but dont LIE, to the position. He has to upsell himself and that he's done before what is needed for the position. If he has military on the brain, have him go speak with a recruiter, and there is a possibility the recruiter may have some contacts. I know I did. I had a good in with a local gym and they always needed part-time staff to help out. Plus, all of the "HOOAH HOOAH" guys loved it because it came with a free membership.
No it does not!

Old 02-17-2012, 05:11 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times
Objectives Objective (no s)
My plans for the future is to go in the military. This needs to be specific to the job he is applying for. "An entry level position at xyz"

Education
Vail High School (July 2006- through June 25,2009)
} In my senior year I had to do a project that was called the Senior Exit Project which is a project that you have to do with a mentor and you have to build and or design something with them with about 30 hrs of completion. What I decided to do for my SEP was build and design a drag racing car out of a 1969 AMC NASH Rambler Wagon. How I was involved with the project was; help due metal work, help build the engine, do wiring work and also do anything that is required to make the car capable of being able to run down a race track.
Put work experience first and move this to the bottom. this paragraph needs to be rewritten or turned into a bullet list. the part I bolded is not a sentence.

Experience
Driver Assistant (December 2010 – December 2010)
United Parcel Service (889 E. Silverlake Rd
Tucson, AZ 85713 Phone 520-205-4860 )
My responsibilities at this company were to run the packages to the corresponding houses. If there was package that needed to be signed for I also had the customer or there next door neighbor sign the package for them. If none of those options were available I would take the package back to the truck to the drive to get a notice that tells them that we would be back the fallowing day around the same time. Another responsibility that I had was to help pick up packages from companies and make sure they are divided between air mail and ground mail.Again, use a list, not a paragraph. be more concise. Why did this job only last a month? It might be a good idea to leave dates off and just list jobs and duties.

Sandwich Artist (August 2010 - Present)
Subway (4046 E. 22nd St.
Tucson, AZ 85711 Phone 520-885-0688 )
My responsibilities at this company were to make sandwiches to peoples specific order, wash the dishes, prepare the bread and or condiments that need to be made or put out if there was a low supply of the certain item. When I had to prep the bread I had to pull it out and let it thaw out, then get one of the bread pans and then if it is a special kind of bread put the topping on it and then I would score the bread to make it rise when it was proofed then it goes to the oven to cook. If there is anything special that needs to be added on top of the bread like for example the jalapeño cheddar bread u add 6 jalapeños and cheddar cheese on top when u bake it, also if u wanted to make a sandwich that is your own creation we could make it any way that u ask for it.Too specific, bad grammar. "Customer service" "point of sale" "food preparation"

Vacuumer (July 2009 – September 2009)Vacuum Attendant sounds much better
Wash Tub Car Wash (17780 Blanco Road
San Antonio, TX 78232 Phone 210-493-9274)
My responsibilities at this company were to vacuum out the dirty cars before they officially went through the car wash and they would get washed then after they are done getting washed they would get dried off and the people in the front would do all the window and the exterior of the car by drying the car off. Also if people wanted it some of the car owners would ask if their cars could get detailed.Again, too much detail. "Customer Service" "Operated industrial vacuum equipment"

Skills
My skills include; metal working like sheet metal, steel and any kind of metal , working on cars, doing wiring work, I can use a soldering irons and many different kinds of hands tools that might be handy to know in everyday life, I know how to use a welder which is really important skill when working with metal. Another one of my skills is that I was about a rank away from getting my eagle scout badge but I missed it by about a month. In scouting I learned how to many different kinds of things like how to deal with any emergency situations by preventing any injuries to myself or othersmore incorrect punctuation. List highest scout rank, not that you didn't complete Eagle.
- metal work
- soldering
- welding

I don't like the formatting either. I don't think addresses and phone numbers of previous employers are necessary, but if included should not be in parentheses

xyz Car Wash
123 First Street, San Antonio
(999) 555-1234

The whole thing is full of spelling and grammatical errors. this person will not get a job using this as it is written.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:15 PM

831 posts, read 2,825,470 times
LOL, just noticed the job title vacuumer

Old 02-17-2012, 05:49 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,010 times
Most of the issues have been pointed out but he went from building a race car in HS to a "Vacuumer" at a car wash?

What was his part in this project and was it ever completed?

If anything he can take what he has to a resume shop and they will correct any grammatical or spelling errors, they will also organize/format it properly, they may ask for more details.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:40 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,664,235 times
Part of my job is reviewing resumes, and with that objective it would have been thrown in the garbage within 10 seconds. To an employer, it sounds like he would jump ship the minute an opportunity in the service opened up.

With the varied positions he has had, just use something generic like:

"Seeking a career where I can put my skills and abilities to good use"

Old 02-17-2012, 06:43 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
at that age u listen to no one. that is why the fatality rate is so high in combat in that age group.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:24 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,480,576 times
Wow.

That should not be a 21 year old's resume. Kudos to you for trying to help him improve it.

As far as the resume goes, this has hopefully already been said, but I'll reiterate. Never refer to yourself in a resume. You need bullet points under each job with short descriptions of about three different duties, but no personal pronouns. The most recent job goes first, I'm not sure why it's in the middle. Also if the job does not involve the military, take out the objective.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:40 PM

632 posts, read 1,179,875 times
I'm sure several people are getting a kick out of this but, he (the author of the resume) is not alone...many people out there simply do not know how to write a resume.

The first step I would recommend is for him to write/type out all the jobs he has had and what he did as well as his role(s). Use official titles even if they sound ridiculous (and yes, Subway employees are called Sandwich Artists).

Next, look at sample resumes online and choose one based on that, don't copy it but try to use it as a guide. Afterwards, take the format you have chosen and start to fill it in.

*I have been told by many employers that they "hate" seeing objectives on a resume, I can't say for certain if you should have one but, I recommend leaving it out for now.

Here's an example of a resume in case if you need one to compare to your son's current resume, its not perfect but its a start: http://www.colgate.com/Colgate/US/Co..._Resume_lg.gif

^Leave off the objective portion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search