Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 10:15 PM

60 posts, read 166,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Possibly. or other retail. If you can get it - there's lots of competition for those entry-level jobs.

I have a BA, 30 years of experience, and I now work in retail. One of my coworkers was a VP at a large, now defunct, financial company.

If it's good enough for us...
30 years in the labor force and you weren't able to save money to pay your student loans? can't you just declare yourself in bankrupcy or something?

by the way, at least your parents pay for your health insurance. But who will pay for mine - and how am I going to afford the medications I obviously need - if I take a job like yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 10:19 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,008 times
w99w, Walgreens is a retailer who insures many in its workforce. I have a sibling who works there for that reaon.same wage as the rest of retail, but they insure at 31 hr avg, and schedule as many as they can to work past that, if possible. Its quite likely when you go into a Walgreens, all the day shift people are either insured, or chose to turn it down.

PS, Only 129 student loans were discharged in BK last year. Unless one shows dire, long-term inability to pay, they are impossible to get cleared. They can be delayed for hardship, but forgiven..well 129 is an average of 2.58 per STATE for an entire year.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:31 PM

I was told to stay away from retail. I was told that going into retail was as close to committing career suicide as one could possibly get. I was told that once you go into retail, you stay in retail. I was told I'm better off doing pretty much any blue collar job other than retail.

but the point being, you see why I'm not overly concerned about not exhausting my benefits? why would I want to punish myself?

Old 02-18-2012, 10:44 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,008 times
Its only going to get worse the longer you are unemployed. Quite frankly, by than, you may need a Mcd's or another retailer, and o/s of WalGreens who insures tons and Wal Mart who insures about 1/2 but charges more for it, the industry overall insures 40%. So take away WM and Walgreens and the average most likely is in the low 30% range. Target last I read insures 40%.

There is a valid reason you will find MBAs making coffee at Starbucks, and NYChistorygals' experience in 2012 does not surprise me. The time to think about what you want to do is NOT 4 weeks before the last ui check is deposited.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:03 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysPoppins View Post
This is not the norm for people who lost their jobs. Most try to get back to work, real work, as soon as possible.

I think some people LIKE to think if you get UE or food stamps or other 'help' you must be a lazy jerk who is watching the NFL and drinking beer on the sofa between playing Wii.

Not true.

Again, a few jerks ruin it for everyone else.
Didn't you collect unemployment after you were laid off?

Old 02-18-2012, 11:04 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w99w View Post
30 years in the labor force and you weren't able to save money to pay your student loans? can't you just declare yourself in bankrupcy or something?

by the way, at least your parents pay for your health insurance. But who will pay for mine - and how am I going to afford the medications I obviously need - if I take a job like yours?
I was an adult student. Went back to school to remain competitive. Graduated just before 'The Fall' and subsequent layoff. Ironic, isn't it?

How will you afford meds with NO income? I just signed up with Walgreens for reduced cost meds. Target is supposed to have a good plan as well. You have a better chance looking for a job early in the process. How long have you been out? If you look now, you may not take too big of a cut. If you are really, really lucky, you might find something good.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:08 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w99w View Post
You can't go bankrupt on student loans or taxes.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:15 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You can't go bankrupt on student loans or taxes.
Didn't want to either.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:55 AM

878 posts, read 1,652,939 times
Quote:
To the OP; I'd suggest getting your resume out there. Jobs are very hard to get, and you will most likely take a BIG pay cut. The longer you are out, the worse it is. Employers will not interview the unemployed anymore.
Quote:
If you look now, you may not take too big of a cut. If you are really, really lucky, you might find something good.
I was one of the lucky ones... after being out of work 14 months from 11/09 till 5/11 the job I landed was 15% higher pay than the one I had when laid off.

I had to move coast to coast for the job but that's what happens when you live in a dead job market... (Savannah, GA) You move to an area where jobs are more plentiful... (Seattle, WA)

Job listings out of state are definitely something to consider, even if you have to borrow money from your parents to get there... like I had to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post

There is a valid reason you will find MBAs making coffee at Starbucks, and NYChistorygals' experience in 2012 does not surprise me. The time to think about what you want to do is NOT 4 weeks before the last ui check is deposited.
That is correct...

When I accepted my WA job I was 3 or 4 weeks into Tier 2. How much time did I have left? I don't really recall, but I'd estimate it at 3 months maybe? I was getting extremely nervous.

I was hired on as a temp and could have been let go without reason at any time which made me even more determined to impress my employers. What happens if they let me go? I had just rolled the dice and moved 3000 miles for the job on my own (parents) dime and losing the job was not an option.

As mentioned previously the story ends well, I was hired on permanent in October and I feel great.

Last edited by TRC2k11; 02-19-2012 at 05:11 AM..

Old 02-19-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
I was an adult student.
Which is not the same as being a college student right out of high school, as I was.

Quote:
How will you afford meds with NO income?
My state is pretty good when it comes to that

Frankly, now that I know that it is possible to live life without feeling distress on a regular basis, I would rather kill myself than go another day without my meds. To the chagrin of my doctor, I still haven't ruled out that option.

Last edited by w99w; 02-19-2012 at 06:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search