Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 08:33 AM

5 posts, read 6,373 times

Advertisements

I agree with nunya, with so much going on in a workplace now adays, who really has time to send a person a rejection email?

I have never even received one, nor would I need one, if youre not called back a few weeks after you interview, you probably don't have the job. Which is why I usually keep applying and interviewing until I have an offer.

Rejection letters are silly to me personally. I think people now adays are hyper sensitive, and need closure for everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 08:57 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,044,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunya Business View Post
And quite frankly, I don't care what you think. I'm just trying to give helpful advice, by stating things from an employer's perspective. Whether you choose to heed my advice is up to you.
"helpful advice?" LOL. Not a single one of your posts has given "advice."

Old 02-28-2012, 01:16 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,818,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMLEG80 View Post
I agree with nunya, with so much going on in a workplace now adays, who really has time to send a person a rejection email?

I have never even received one, nor would I need one, if youre not called back a few weeks after you interview, you probably don't have the job. Which is why I usually keep applying and interviewing until I have an offer.

Rejection letters are silly to me personally. I think people now adays are hyper sensitive, and need closure for everything.
I think if a person has a minimum of two interviews they should get a rejection letter. The crazy interview I had today which was a hire fair, a ejection letter is not needed because I only had 2 mins to sell myself in a room full of people so that wasn't your typical interview and i defintely don't need any letters.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:57 PM

200 posts, read 564,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The last time I publicly advertised a job, I got over 500 resumes. It took me a hell of a lot of time to respond to each of them with a generic TBNT email, but I did. And then I decided I'd never post a help wanted ad like that again.

The worst part was that 3/4 of them didn't even have a single qualification that I was looking for. How does "cashier at Walmart" as a career high point translate to "experienced marketing pro with experience negotiating print buys and strong Photoshop and InDesign skills?"

My point is that I hear all this chatter about employers wasting the time of applicants, well what about the applicants that waste the time of employers by applying for jobs they aren't even remotely qualified for, and then getting upset when they don't hear back? I really wonder if a lot of people even read the ad, or if they just send their resume out blindly to any ad they find.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
And I never understood why people sent out 100 resumes because that's not accomplishing anything if you have no experience for the job. And people really feel productive because they sent out a 100 resumes not realizing it means nothing.
Because if you try you have a small chance, if you don't try you have no chance.

I once read an article about people applying for jobs they are not qualified for and how men are more likely to do this, and other statistics that I don't remember. So, I started thinking, well dang, what is the harm in trying? Obviously, if the job's minimum requirements are a Ph.D and I only have a bachelors, I wouldn't apply. However, if the minimum requirements are a mix of experience and/or education...then heck yeah, I will at least try. Do I expect to make it, not really, but what if I do?

Old 02-28-2012, 02:27 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chzanne View Post
Because if you try you have a small chance, if you don't try you have no chance.

I once read an article about people applying for jobs they are not qualified for and how men are more likely to do this, and other statistics that I don't remember. So, I started thinking, well dang, what is the harm in trying? Obviously, if the job's minimum requirements are a Ph.D and I only have a bachelors, I wouldn't apply. However, if the minimum requirements are a mix of experience and/or education...then heck yeah, I will at least try. Do I expect to make it, not really, but what if I do?
And you get hired and then can't do the job and back to where you started

Old 02-28-2012, 02:48 PM

200 posts, read 564,095 times
Quote:
And you get hired and then can't do the job and back to where you started
Says who? I am a quick learner and determine to excel. My current position is a great example. I have a Bachelor of Arts degree (major political science) and worked general office jobs before my current position. My work and schooling were all downtown or the suburbs of Minneapolis. Life and love very unexpectedly brought me to the Mississippi Delta. The only job I could find was a temperary position as an agricultural research station. I knew NOTHING about farming when I started. The closest I came to agriculture before this job was passing corn fields on a highway in Minnesota on my way to another college town.

Since starting 3 years ago I have been promoted twice, and accepted into master degree programs related to agriculture. I learned all the growth stages of cotton, corn, soybeans, and rice. I learned how to drive a tractor, bob truck, forklift, combine, and a cotton picker. And numerous other details, tasks, and such seeing as I started with ZERO knowledge.

If given a chance, certain people can amaze you with what they are capable of.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:05 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chzanne View Post
Says who? I am a quick learner and determine to excel. My current position is a great example. I have a Bachelor of Arts degree (major political science) and worked general office jobs before my current position. My work and schooling were all downtown or the suburbs of Minneapolis. Life and love very unexpectedly brought me to the Mississippi Delta. The only job I could find was a temperary position as an agricultural research station. I knew NOTHING about farming when I started. The closest I came to agriculture before this job was passing corn fields on a highway in Minnesota on my way to another college town.

Since starting 3 years ago I have been promoted twice, and accepted into master degree programs related to agriculture. I learned all the growth stages of cotton, corn, soybeans, and rice. I learned how to drive a tractor, bob truck, forklift, combine, and a cotton picker. And numerous other details, tasks, and such seeing as I started with ZERO knowledge.

If given a chance, certain people can amaze you with what they are capable of.
It depends on whether or not it's a SINK or SWIM position. With that type of position you have to learn real fast and very little room for error.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:22 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,470,770 times
Quote:
It depends on whether or not it's a SINK or SWIM position. With that type of position you have to learn real fast and very little room for error.
That's not true at all. In every job there's something to learn and if you enjoy adventure and absorbing something new then you can thrive in a situation which opens you up to new horizons. The mind is a terrible thing to waste but unfortunately so many do so ...

Old 02-28-2012, 05:53 PM

75 posts, read 55,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMLEG80 View Post

Rejection letters are silly to me personally. I think people nowadays are hyper sensitive, and need closure for everything.
Bingo!

Old 02-28-2012, 05:55 PM

75 posts, read 55,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
"helpful advice?" LOL. Not a single one of your posts has given "advice."
Don't blame me for your not wanting to take my advice. That's your problem, not mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search