U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 05:41 PM

377 posts, read 548,616 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be sending in my resume for a few positions at my local airport. I have omitted both my BS and MS degrees in hopes of not being dismissed as overqualified. Despite only requiring a high school diploma, these positions pay really well with great benefits and they apparently do thorough background checks. When they do this background check, will the degrees I omitted show up?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 08:35 PM

5,656 posts, read 17,967,649 times
I think it depends on what kind of bkgd check they do? Am I correct in thinking this, I would think an airport job, they would be looking for criminal activities that would impact their security.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:28 PM

4,805 posts, read 21,319,746 times
The answer is, once again, 'it depends'. The term 'background check' can mean whatever the employer wants it to mean. Maybe they'll check academic records, maybe they won't. But you should be aware that there is a national clearinghouse that reports both degrees granted and enrollment. With just a couple of clicks and less than $20, an employer will be able to verify your academic history.

Last edited by GiantRutgersfan; 02-25-2012 at 01:55 PM..

Old 02-24-2012, 10:24 PM

377 posts, read 548,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
The answer is, once again, 'it depends'. The term 'background check' can mean whatever the employer wants it to mean. Maybe they'll check academic records, maybe they won't. But you should be aware that there is a national clearinghouse that reports both degrees granted and enrollment. With just a couple of clicks and less than $20, an employer will be able to verify your academic history.
Again, how would they know where to start? If I list that I only graduated from high school and thus meet the minimum requirement, why would they check if I have a college degree that isn't relevant to the job? Also, is this even possible without my permission? Aren't there agreements between post-secondary institutions and alumni to only verify they attended the school with only their permission?

Last edited by GiantRutgersfan; 02-25-2012 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: responding to a deleted post

Old 02-25-2012, 10:46 AM

4,805 posts, read 21,319,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astute View Post
I did, and anything that came up was with people asking whether degrees they put on their resume are verified, completely different to omitting education for a job.

Again, how would they know where to start? If I list that I only graduated from high school and thus meet the minimum requirement, why would they check if I have a college degree that isn't relevant to the job? Also, is this even possible without my permission? Aren't there agreements between post-secondary institutions and alumni to only verify they attended the school with only their permission?
Once again, it depends on what kind of background check they are doing. You didn't list any criminal history (I presume) but does that mean they won't check? Of course not. Same is true for education. Just because you didn't list any college education doesn't mean they won't check.

In addition to being able to check both degree conferment, employers can check enrollment (i.e., you took classes but didn't complete the program), utilization of typical student services such as the existence of any student health insurance provider accounts (the existence of the account, not your actual medical records), student loan dispersement, etc.

Obviously you were looking for the internet to verify what you assumed to be true but your assumptions were incorrect. That's still not a guarantee that you won't get caught, nor that any information they uncover will be used against you in a hiring decision. But you should know how easy it is to uncover academic records.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:47 AM

16,380 posts, read 19,649,118 times
Back to the topic.

You left the degrees off your resume.

After you are offerred and accept the job, the paperwork for the background search usually starts.

You would get paperwork to fill out and sign in regard to the background check. You list eduction, degrees, dates, name and address of schools. You should be truthful here. The hiring manager typically will never see this form...it goes to either HR or possibly directly to a background search firm that they hire.

You also enter prior employment info on this form, including names and contact info for prior supervisors and/or HR contacts.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:11 AM

16,102 posts, read 21,690,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astute View Post
I'm going to be sending in my resume for a few positions at my local airport. I have omitted both my BS and MS degrees in hopes of not being dismissed as overqualified. Despite only requiring a high school diploma, these positions pay really well with great benefits and they apparently do thorough background checks. When they do this background check, will the degrees I omitted show up?
OP. Why not pay for your own background check, then you'll know for sure what comes up. I know that the Border Patrol does a very, very through background check, including an extensive phone interview w/ relatives of the applicant. I overheard my boss being interviewed re his brother. I would assume the airlines would be as extensive. Depends I guess. I would always be honest. You could explain that you are trying to diversify your experience. And, if you've worked under your degree that will show up. I think I'd just be honest.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:16 AM

280 posts, read 622,008 times
OP,

There is this thing called the National Student Clearinghouse; it shows the colleges that a person has attended and the dates of attendance: National Student Clearinghouse

I believe (but am not entirely sure) that employers may use it to verify educational information.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:40 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,710,963 times
ypu can demand to be removed from the national clearinghouse database and can instruct any school that you attended not to reveal information about you.

FERPA.

it is highly unlikely you will be caught. if you cover your bases it is virtually impossible.

is your name common?

employers can google you but that's very dangerous and exposes them to litigation as people are confused and the info is often inaccurate.

At my university, this is the form that you submit:

Request to Withhold or Reverse Withholding of Directory Information | Columbia University Registrar

Old 01-05-2013, 10:49 AM

24,844 posts, read 32,163,382 times
Even if it does, I doubt it would matter. They probably wouldn't do the background check until they knew they wanted to hire you. At that point, why would additional degrees change their mind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search