Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 01:36 PM

143 posts, read 378,397 times

Advertisements

I've had about 9 interviews in the last 7 weeks and I enjoyed all of them besides one. The reason: people have really interesting stories, and if you talk to them right they'll be happy to tell them to you.

Side note: the only one I didn't enjoy was the only one done by a HR employee. HR reps are really useless in interviewing engineers/technical people. Although that was one of the companies that offered me a job soooo....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 01:44 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Default The whole point...

Is to sell yourself and skills to the employer. It's salesmanship, Regardless of the position. Making a clear case over why they should choose YOU over the others. A great resume gets you in the door, And good interview skills you walk out with the gold.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:24 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman62 View Post
No offense, but just going by that post, OP, you sound like a pompous, arrogant, negative and bitter individual and I wouldnt have hired you either.

It sounds like you were stuffy and stiff through out the interview, and like the other guy said, you were looking down on both of them, and they sensed it.

Im sorry youre older and having trouble finding employment, but thats life, thats reality.
A company is not going to hire many people over the age of 55 for positions anymore, they attribute it with hiring a person who is set in their ways, and will be leaving shortly anyways, and or take sick days because of their age/ etc etc.
And you need a sense of humor.

It helps in life to be able to laugh at situations.

I thought that post was hilarious.

The OP started off by saying that it had negativity, but it was funny.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:59 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

It's great to have a sense of humor, but the OP is making up excuses of why she did not get the job: her interview skills are/were probably lacking. There is always the case they had no intention of hiring her for the job, but there is always the case the person they originally hired may not work out and I know of a number of people who did not get offered the job the first time around only have it offered the second time because the company liked them enough during the original interview.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:48 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

I thought the post was funny too and was laughing out loud. I have a interview on Tuesday and probably won't get the weakness question anymore since I came up with a good answer for the question.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:06 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Interviewing is tough, though there are worse things. IRS audit, going to court, and your flight delayed for hours are examples. But don't turn down the chance, even if you don't stand a chance or wouldn't even want the job. Experience.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:52 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Flight delayed for hours? If I don't have anything that MUST BE DONE that those hours would displace, I'd probably rather have that than an interview.

After working for a family-run business since my childhood, I've had many interviews in the past six months. I understand and accept that it is a standard business procedure nowadays, but I can't help but wonder if some interviewing is counterproductive. Examples would include the "standardized" questions ("Give me an example of when you needed to accomplish a task in a very short time", etc.), which, after being asked it on 3 or 4 out of 4 or 5 job interviews, a person could fabricate an impressive but totally false answer to.

On the other hand, some jobs are clearly cut out for interviews. An example would be a children's home I applied at. The interviewer asked me how I would react to certain scenarios that could very well arise.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:35 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Sorry. I agree that interviewing can be the pits...... but what's the alternative?
Something that actually correlates to job performance perhaps.

I see companies use the same BS when hiring chemists and they get a bunch of BSers and poorly qualified candidates and it causes a mess. The trouble is they never learn. HR people have convinced employers that asking retarded questions and picking the person that BSes the best is the way to pick the most qualified Admin, chemist, IT person, Surgeon...

Every time a company complains about their inability to hire competent employees I just roll my eyes. I just don't know how many companies manage to stay in business when they act like such morons.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:01 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Something that actually correlates to job performance perhaps.

I see companies use the same BS when hiring chemists and they get a bunch of BSers and poorly qualified candidates and it causes a mess. The trouble is they never learn. HR people have convinced employers that asking retarded questions and picking the person that BSes the best is the way to pick the most qualified Admin, chemist, IT person, Surgeon...

Every time a company complains about their inability to hire competent employees I just roll my eyes. I just don't know how many companies manage to stay in business when they act like such morons.
Someone explained why last night

"Because you can learn how to do any job within 2 weeks but the one thing you can teach is passion and being positive in your abilities."

So that's why the people who BS the best gets the job because the interview is not about whether or not you can do the job, it's about how likable you are

Old 02-27-2012, 11:25 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
No you cannot teach someone to be a good chemist in 2 weeks or a good IT person or for sure a good surgeon.

As for passion and positive of your abilities I'd rather see a nerdy analytical type person in the lab than a bubbly sales type person and if most companies had a clue so would they. It takes a certain personality type with a high attention to detail, a precise hand, and good ability to make observations and process data and information. Those types of people do not tend to BS well nor have bubbly personalities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search