Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 01:20 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysPoppins View Post
Oh, I have a question.
How do you answer this? When they ask, "Why were you let go?"

Do you say you got laid off? And if they push it and ask why?

Are you telling them the company ran out of funds for your job or were only you let go in the department?

I'm wondering how you skirt this issue?
I will tell them the company closed and will have the letter just in case. But they probably already know because the company I worked for is not too far from where their company is and the fact that news travels about other companies in your industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 01:29 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I don't have to worry about being asked that question because I have ways of letting the interviewer do most of the talking which has been a success so far
A success how? If no job offers have resulted from the interviews then where's the success. or have you had firm offers which you've turned down for some reason?

Old 02-27-2012, 01:47 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
KibbleKat"oh, I know what you were saying, and I think you are headed for a very long period of unemployment with that attitude. No amount of confidence in yourself is going to get you a job in this market. Sitting through an interview, and making nice, and having a good explanation for the gap, past or present, might."

Precisely correct. Smart candidates take the opportunity presented to show a productive use of time, which differntiates them from those whose false pride precludes them from answering. Those not answering have done an enormous favor to other candidates, as they just deep sixed their remaining chances. They can than return home, and won't even realize the contest is not about getting interviews. Its about getting hired, so they gained nothing by being too arrogant to answer.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
KibbleKat"oh, I know what you were saying, and I think you are headed for a very long period of unemployment with that attitude. No amount of confidence in yourself is going to get you a job in this market. Sitting through an interview, and making nice, and having a good explanation for the gap, past or present, might."

Precisely correct. Smart candidates take the opportunity presented to show a productive use of time, which differntiates them from those whose false pride precludes them from answering. Those not answering have done an enormous favor to other candidates, as they just deep sixed their remaining chances. They can than return home, and won't even realize the contest is not about getting interviews. Its about getting hired, so they gained nothing by being too arrogant to answer.
If a person is confident they can get another interview with applying to jobs then why would they stick around and deal with someone attacking them during the interview?

Old 02-27-2012, 02:04 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
If a person is confident they can get another interview with applying to jobs then why would they stick around and deal with someone attacking them during the interview?
I don't think asking what you do with yourself when you aren't working is an attack. It's an invitation to show that you are well rounded and take initiative to better yourself.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I don't think asking what you do with yourself when you aren't working is an attack. It's an invitation to show that you are well rounded and take initiative to better yourself.
Well all my interviews deal with connecting with the interviewer which is why that question never came up.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:13 PM

Annerk, You are correct. Its perceived as an attack by those who have not used their time unemployed productively. In those cases, its most likely going to be a long-time between jobs.

Interviews are not an environment where one can cherry-pick the parts of their background they wish the employer to focus on. To think it is is luny. It takes a few minutes to respond to the question effectively, and at that point, having invested the time to answer the ad, hopefully write a cover letter, dress and drive to the interview, to not spend those few minutes makes a waste of the far greater period of time already invested in the opportunity.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:14 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Well all my interviews deal with connecting with the interviewer which is why that question never came up.
Don't be so sure of yourself. It might not have come up because the interviewer had decided after the first two minutes that you weren't the right candidate. That's why you are 2-0.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:16 PM

TVSG"Well all my interviews deal with connecting with the interviewer which is why that question never came up."

Until you have a job, you didn't connect. Interview small talk is meaningless except for the person hired. Whether the interview was friendly or involved some contenious moments is meaningless except for the person hired.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Don't be so sure of yourself. It might not have come up because the interviewer had decided after the first two minutes that you weren't the right candidate. That's why you are 2-0.
First interview....:was a part-time job which she felt I wouldn't be around long enough for because she felt I was young and employable so she gave my resume to someone else in the company

Second Interview...was with the guy who received my resume from the lady who interviewed me for the part-time job and he called me for a networking interview. we talked for 55 mins and he is now a connection on Linkedin

So yes I am 2-0 in making a GOOD FIRST IMPRESSION.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search