Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 12:19 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skotina View Post
Who cares prey pray

Thank You. Is that what you needed?
With all due respect, many prospective employers do care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 12:29 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpow View Post
I'm starting to think that the last few posts might be correct. They asked me about my future job goals, and I said that I would like to learn as much as possible, and that I might eventually be interested in a management position. Maybe they would prefer a high school kid instead of someone that has management goals.
Yeah, as a general rule, you'd never want to reveal that you want to be in management. Think about this, if you were the hiring manager, would you hire someone who wants to replace you?

Old 02-29-2012, 12:38 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times
Quote:
I got called for an interview with a movie theatre. They told me that they had 5 job openings. I have 4 years of previous movie theatre experience and a great job application with awesome references. I went to the interview and totally nailed it. I answered all of the questions perfectly and made several references to the fact that I have experience working in each of the positions at a movie theatre. I gave the best interview of my life. I was dressed appropriately, I was confident, and I told them that I am available seven days a week. Several days went by and I had not heard anything. I called the manager to see if they had made a decision yet and she told me that I was not selected, but she wouldn't tell me why. This is the third interview in a row that I thought I did everything perfectly. But for some reason I was not offered any of the jobs. These aren't competitive jobs that I am applying for. They are all part-time entry level jobs. I am so frustrated right now. Does anybody have any insight as to what I might be doing wrong? I am totally baffled right now.
They're filling part-time positions, with no benefits.

They look at you as someone with the drive to excell, who'll become unhappy in the position.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:55 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Yeah, as a general rule, you'd never want to reveal that you want to be in management. Think about this, if you were the hiring manager, would you hire someone who wants to replace you?
Seriously?

If I interviewed someone and they showed no interest in "moving up the ladder" as it were, and just staying in a lower level position, that would be points against them as far as I'm concerned.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:15 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
I agree. I've never gone into an interview expressing any hopes of going into management and this wouldn't be something to bring up even if that's your goal. You're being interviewed to fill an advertised position. Offering anything other than your capability to perform that job is not only superfluous but shows arrogance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
They're filling part-time positions, with no benefits.

They look at you as someone with the drive to excell, who'll become unhappy in the position.
True for the reasons stated above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Seriously? If I interviewed someone and they showed no interest in "moving up the ladder" as it were, and just staying in a lower level position, that would be points against them as far as I'm concerned.
Yes, seriously. Seeking advancement through the ranks after being hired and doing the job you've been hired to do is one thing but coming right out during the interview process with an, "I'm the best candidate for the job because I'm management material and will show you that" is a no-brainer ditch into Flle 13.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:58 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Seriously?

If I interviewed someone and they showed no interest in "moving up the ladder" as it were, and just staying in a lower level position, that would be points against them as far as I'm concerned.
Yes, serious. It may sounds cool to say but it is often a deal killer. Remember you are interviewing for the job nothing more than that. Besides having to worry about her own job security, in the hiring manager's mind, she would be thinking "This guy doesn't even know how to do the current job yet, he already wants to get into management?! I am going to have to replace this role again? No way!"

During an interview, I typically ask the following two questions:
1. tell me about yourself.
2. what's your 3 years plan?

Both are designed to probe the interviewee. :-) Unbelievably amount of people fail. :-(

The correct answer for "What's your 3 years plan?" is:

"I like to expand my skill and experience in this role. Understand what my responsibility and do my best to support the team and my supervisor."

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 02-29-2012 at 02:44 PM..

Old 02-29-2012, 03:26 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,937,635 times
Quote:
I am sure you probably said something that you shouldn't say in the interview. If one gets interviews but no offer, it is most likely something wrong with his interview skill.

I coach people on interview skills. if you post some of the questions and answers, I can probably give you some insight.

For example, did they ask you your 3-5 years plan? How did you answer?
It ain't necessarily so. There are plenty of situations where the hiring manager begins the interview process already knowing whom he/she is going to hire.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
I'm starting to think that the last few posts might be correct. They asked me about my future job goals, and I said that I would like to learn as much as possible, and that I might eventually be interested in a management position. Maybe they would prefer a high school kid instead of someone that has management goals.
Most of the other questions were simple things like do you have reliable transportation? What is your availability? Do you need any time off in the near future? Are you atleast 16 years old? I answered all of the questions with no problems. There were not any factors that would disqualify me.
Next time, you probably shouldn't tell them you want to take their jobs 3 years from now.

But that probably didn't matter in this case anyways. They almost certainly did want a high school kid. Yeah, they asked if you are at least 16 years old. That means they've developed this interview for teenagers, and they didn't even deviate from the script for you. Anyone who wasn't a teenager probably had a 0.05% chance of getting the job.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
With all due respect, many prospective employers do care.
Well, Skotina would probably be more careful with a resume than with an internet post.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:34 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,033 times
Quote:
Most of the other questions were simple things like do you have reliable transportation? What is your availability? Do you need any time off in the near future? Are you atleast 16 years old? I answered all of the questions with no problems. There were not any factors that would disqualify me.
I think it's a huge mistake to say you wanted to learn as much as possible... you should always highlight what you will BRING to the position. Show them that you're an asset to themby highlighting what you already know and how it can applied to the work that you will do.

I made a HUGE mistake when interviewing for a professional position (several years ago) when I answered that I would like to learn as much as possible on the job regarding the programs I was supposed to manage.

I was fresh out of grad school so I still had that "learning" mentality. Boy did I get ripped to shreds at that interview. Besides the man being a hard ass...he was right. Why the h*ll would you want to hire someone so you spend your time teaching what they should already know? That's the purpose of hiring qualified applicants. Obviously, we all learn new things in any position we accept but you never start off by bringing attention to the idea that you have alot to learn (even if that's not accurate).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search