Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:55 AM

41 posts, read 65,698 times

Advertisements

Alot of jobs don't only have you apply but want a full application filled out.
Now - I am not going to give out references or SS# till I have an offer letter, not budging on that.
Anyone else notice this, its quite a waste of time without even an interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 10:34 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,665,091 times
Yes, it's horrible. They'll want your SSN, your Driver's license number, date of birth, and way too much personal information. Like anything else, you can decline to provide it, but that usually means you'll be kicked out of their systems and will never be considered for the position.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:27 AM

41 posts, read 65,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Yes, it's horrible. They'll want your SSN, your Driver's license number, date of birth, and way too much personal information. Like anything else, you can decline to provide it, but that usually means you'll be kicked out of their systems and will never be considered for the position.
I wondered about that - if it kicks you out of the system for not providing that.
Its illogical - why would they need that before they even see your resume. I have seen this for garbage nothing telemarketing and customer jobs that pay like 9-10 bucks an hour.

If this was a govt job I would understand the initial need for this information.
Thats the wish, get a govt job of some sort and get away from this corporate nightmare of termites in cublices with a phone and computer.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:01 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,206,691 times
I have submitted an app with everything completed except the SSN. That was a paper app, though. That might not work online.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:16 AM

3,336 posts, read 1,968,653 times
Default info gathering job apps

many times after having filled out an online app I begin getting unsolicited sales calls and product/service type ad-emails. Info is now a commodity that can be bought and sold.... your info, that is.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:21 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,450,609 times
It is a technique lazy/worthless HR people use to cut down the number of applicants by wasting more of your time during the application process. They are hoping that many applicants get sick and abort the application. What they are too stupid to realize is that they are driving away busy applicants who are currently employed and selecting for more desperate candidates.

Just another way HR people who not only don't contribute but actively waste productive people's time.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:58 AM

188 posts, read 414,827 times
I just filled out an online application for a Staples retail position and they wanted SS#.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:16 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,061,238 times
Many of the online applications want SS number and references, and the system won't let you submit it without the info. You can type in something false to get past the requirement, but then when you electronically sign it at the end certifying everything is correct, your application will be deleted anyway. So, either submit the info or move on.

It's BS. I am not going to submit references' information for an application that has not even been looked at. I've applied to more than 40 places with online applications, and have never received one call back from any of them.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:11 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,097,980 times
I don't make an offer until I've checked references. I don't care if someone doesn't give their social until their first day of work for payroll and other government purposes, but not giving references without an offer letter? Have fun waiting. There are plenty of other people who want jobs and aren't going to try to put obstacles in my way when I'm trying to hire them.

That said, we don't use an online system and I'm fine with them not providing references until I actually interview them and get to the point that I want to check.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:28 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,206,691 times
I don't have a big issue submitting references. What's the worry? I do have an issue submitting a SSN. they seem like 2 different issues to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search