Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 08:44 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Oh, ok...........if this is a job that you want.I hope you get it.

Good luck.
I probably won't because I figured today would be the day they would call to schedule a second interview but since I didn't hear anything it looks like it's over
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 08:58 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
It's always good to have an elevator pitch well versed for moments like this. You never know when you're going to have to do a 2 second impression of the ideal you.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's always good to have an elevator pitch well versed for moments like this. You never know when you're going to have to do a 2 second impression of the ideal you.
I never had one until now-lol I have never been asked in my life on a interview..."give me your 30 second sales pitch"

So it's now stored away if I ever need it again

Old 03-01-2012, 04:26 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
No one gets a fair opportunity to sell themselves in that type of environment. Everything is rushed and you are asked 2 questions in 5 minutes. I hope I never have to attend anything like that again.
Really? In my opinion that's the best type of interview. You should absolutely have a 30-60 second "elevator speech" prepared to pitch yourself to anybody at any given time. Five minutes is a LONG time and if you can't answer four questions and completely sell yourself in five minutes, you've got some seriously poor communication skills.

Keep in mind that most interviewers have made up their mind about a candidate in the first few minutes of an interview.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:53 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,476,176 times
Quote:
I never had one until now-lol I have never been asked in my life on a interview..."give me your 30 second sales pitch"

So it's now stored away if I ever need it again

You REALLY need to have one. If could come up at a phone interview or an on-site interview for any company. These days, your 2nd interview could require you to meet 8 different people for 15 minute interviews each. They are going to want a very quick highlight of "you".

You must have one. a 30-60 second version and a 2 minute version.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:53 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,201,228 times
Quote:
I was caught off guard yesterday because of course everything was rushed and I was asked for a 30 second pitch. So it wasn't the standard interview where you get to pace yourself and provide feedback without trying to speed talk. I'm not used to selling myself to a interviewer out in the open. Usually I'm in a office with the door shut not out in the open sitting around tons of other applicants giving a pitch.

So I probably won't be called back since my 30 second pitch had a nice beginning with a shaky middle and ok ending. Never been to anything like this in my life and it definitely showed. It was only a total of 25 applicants so you mean to tell me they couldn't just do a phone interview to determine if they wanted to give you a second interview? So everyone was dressed up to talk for 5 minutes and leave and go back out the door. Nothing but nonsense.
So they found out that thinking on your feet isn't a major strength. I would say that they learned something very valuable.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
You REALLY need to have one. If could come up at a phone interview or an on-site interview for any company. These days, your 2nd interview could require you to meet 8 different people for 15 minute interviews each. They are going to want a very quick highlight of "you".

You must have one. a 30-60 second version and a 2 minute version.
I have one now but did not have one before Tuesday because no one ever asked me that question because I was never in a speed interview before. So I was caught off guard a little bit.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:12 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,008 times
I've heard similar questions asked during normal interviewing, with the same time expectations.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I've heard similar questions asked during normal interviewing, with the same time expectations.
I probably won't be asked that question ever again now that I'm ready for it. Same thing with the weakness question. You know how life is, once you are ready for something you are never faced with that challenge again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search