Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 05:48 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,945 times

Advertisements

If you've only used mj less than a handful of times, you'll be fine. The chemical they test for mj for is in all green vegetables as well, so it's not a matter of whether or not it's in your system, it's a matter of how much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 05:53 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-turtle View Post
I looked it up: They can't legally drug test me until I ACCEPT a job offer. I can go to the interview, get the offer, and tell them I need a couple days to think about it and then pass if I want.

I spoke to the guy that works there. He had a DUI about it, told them up front (since he knew they do background checks) and they hired him anyway. He said he smoked weed a couple times too and ate mushrooms a week before and he thought he was busted for sure....but he said he "somehow passed". Meaning he may have failed and didn't tell him, or by some magic he passed.

Anyway, I asked him to find out if failing the drug test is a deal breaker, and find out that if I came forward in the interview and said I smoked one time and I was concerned it may come up. Sometimes they overlook it if they like the candidate. Probably not, but who knows, they overlooked his DUI for Christ's sake, that's way worse than what I've done. They're a small company of 80 people, so maybe they can workaround policies if they like a candidate. I'll find out more tomorrow. He's going to tell his boss that he has a friend that wants to apply but he smoked a couple weeks ago to see if his boss would say "no way" or "no big deal". His boss doesn't know that we know each other and doesn't know we're talking.

I'll wait to see what I hear back tomorrow.
I definitely go to the interview. Hell, the interview process could take long enough that you might be close to the 90 day window. Finding out what kind of test and having your friend ask a few questions sounds like a good idea.

I wouldn't assume that just because you think a DUI is worse than smoking some pot, that the company has the same values (I agree with you for the record, but some people overlook alcohol in a way the do not overlook even recreational drug use).

I wouldn't come forward in the interview and admit to it. If you find out it's a hair sample, and that pot would rule you out and you get a job offer then I would politely refuse saying you have a good opportunity at your current job and want to stay put for now. Then I would stop smoking and reapply next time they have an opening.

Last edited by beth98; 03-06-2012 at 06:32 AM..

Old 03-06-2012, 05:57 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
A hair test involves pulling strands of hair to include the root. My husband was told before that hair test can show as much as seven years worth of history. Shampooing will not work.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:26 AM

753 posts, read 1,482,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Stop smoking so that you could still potentially apply there sometime in the future.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:03 AM

674 posts, read 1,161,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
A hair test involves pulling strands of hair to include the root. My husband was told before that hair test can show as much as seven years worth of history. Shampooing will not work.
Yeah, normal shampoo does not work, never said it did.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:06 AM

674 posts, read 1,161,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
No, don't tell them why.

Also...stop using drugs. Seriously.
I'll never smoke again if you never have a drink again. Deal?

Also...don't tell people what to do with their life. Seriously.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:07 AM

567 posts, read 1,012,341 times
Hair follicle test? Not sure about.

I smoked everyday for 2 years and I got clean in two weeks(Urine test). It depends on your weight and metabolism.

I'm 5'7 @ 128lbs with a fast metabolism. All I did was drink more water than normal. I believe if I exercised and drank even more water than I did, I could have been clean in a week/week and a half.

After the initial drug test. I was right back smoking. It helps me sleep.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:58 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-turtle View Post
I'll never smoke again if you never have a drink again. Deal?

Also...don't tell people what to do with their life. Seriously.
You do realize that drinking is legal and smoking is not, don't you?

Old 03-06-2012, 08:14 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,429,920 times
I don't drink or smoke, but I've never been able to understand how one can be illegal and the other isn't. I've seen drinking destroys tons of lives....and really...in some ways it's a worse drug and problem.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:17 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
I don't drink or smoke, but I've never been able to understand how one can be illegal and the other isn't. I've seen drinking destroys tons of lives....and really...in some ways it's a worse drug and problem.
I understand what you are saying, and (as someone who does not smoke) I agree that it should be legal. That being said, it IS illegal, and smoking WILL keep you from working certain jobs, so for that reason alone, it isn't worth it. This isn't a political discussion on the legality of certain drugs, this is a conversation about employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search